Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Question about dyno tuning process.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about dyno tuning process.

Hello all,
About 3 months ago, I had a performance shop install heads and a fast/nw 92 along with a dyno tune.. When I picked up my car, they said they would email me my dyno results. It's been 3 months now and I never received anything. I've emailed them 4 times with no response. Called twice. They keep saying that I should have got it. This last call was a week ago and they said to send them my info again. Still no results... Sorry for the long explanation, but I guess my question is...did any of you guys experience something like this.? Im pretty sure its not common to wait this long. Somethings fishy. I'm just concerned because I paid for a dyno tune and have no results. Thanks guys.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Every shop ive ever been to gave me dyno sheet. That's very odd. I'd go there in person. You are much more likely to get things resolved that way
Old 08-16-2015, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Every shop ive ever been to gave me dyno sheet. That's very odd. I'd go there in person. You are much more likely to get things resolved that way
Hey HCI,
I would try that, but the problem is they are closed by the time I leave work and travel there. Saturdays they are closed except for special appointments. Kind of frustrating considering its as easy as handing over a piece of paper or just sending a simple email.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well in that case you might be kind of screwed unfortunately. If you can't leave work early one day then your only choice imo is to get more aggressive on the phone...not in a mean way but in a direct and more aggressive manner that says you won't be pushed around anymore. Beyond that I'm not sure what else you can do.

Let me ask you this...how does the car run and perform?
Old 08-16-2015, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well in that case you might be kind of screwed unfortunately. If you can't leave work early one day then your only choice imo is to get more aggressive on the phone...not in a mean way but in a direct and more aggressive manner that says you won't be pushed around anymore. Beyond that I'm not sure what else you can do.

Let me ask you this...how does the car run and perform?
I haven't had a ton of time to.drive it like I want to. But I'm the three months I drove it about a dozen times. Just seems like as time goes by the idle changes, rpms dip stopping at a light. If i rev it to 1500 in park...instead of coming back down to idle, the rpms dip to 300 and it almost dies. Of course I can't say for sure its the tune. I have checked battery, vacuum leaks etc. Could be a coincidence, but I just feel the reason I haven't got a dyno sheet is because it wasn't truly tuned on a dyno. Just a base tune. I always give people the benefit of the doubt. I'm an easy going guy. Why else would you not give someone results? Especially after contacting them so many times. There are a few more things that got me thinking now. It's a shame because they seemed cool.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Shop is not in MI by chance is it
Old 08-16-2015, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It is frustrating. I'd say one of the main reasons for getting it on the dyno is to see your curve & numbers along with the tune. I've had similar experiences with "the printer is out of ink". Three months is also way too long. A week or two, ok. HCI gave good advise. I mean you paid for the tune & that is part of it. Let them know weather an e-mail or printed copy you need your results.

Another thing is my idle was doing the exact same thing(after my tune). If I revved it in neutral it would come down & stall or just catch itself. After bringing it back to the tuner he adjusted a couple things & now it's fine. I would say your idle issue is ,most likely, tuning.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Shop is not in MI by chance is it
It's not in Michigan..

Last edited by black sky; 08-16-2015 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Misspelled
Old 08-19-2015, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

It would be my guess that they were unsuccessful in their attempt to tune and the chart, if any was developed, reflects the unsuccessful tune.
I would burn them on every After 3 months & a no show, why protect them?
Now the best that you can do is to warn other car peeps to stay away from them. I personally would not have much of a conscience about this, or actions necessary to protect others from them.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gary Wells
It would be my guess that they were unsuccessful in their attempt to tune and the chart, if any was developed, reflects the unsuccessful tune.
I would burn them on every After 3 months & a no show, why protect them?
Now the best that you can do is to warn other car peeps to stay away from them. I personally would not have much of a conscience about this, or actions necessary to protect others from them.
It's not a question of conscience or protecting them. I would never want someone to be strung along by service like this. . I actually agree with quite a bit you said. I've only been at this shop once so there is not an issue with loyalty or protecting them. Just trying to exhaust all my options and ask some questions here. But yeah its some bull****.and I'm def not happy about it.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

black sky:
Here are some suggestions you might want to consider:
Find a good tuner. One well recommended on forums or word of mouth.
Re-dyno your baseline to find out where you are at REHP & RWTQ.
Explain to the tuner your experiences with the other shop.
Consider what he suggests.
HTH
I definitely sympathize with your predicament.
If a dyno shop can't give you a dyno sheet immediately after dynoing do not use their services.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gary Wells
black sky:
Here are some suggestions you might want to consider:
Find a good tuner. One well recommended on forums or word of mouth.
Re-dyno your baseline to find out where you are at REHP & RWTQ.
Explain to the tuner your experiences with the other shop.
Consider what he suggests.
HTH
I definitely sympathize with your predicament.
If a dyno shop can't give you a dyno sheet immediately after dynoing do not use their services.
Thanks, appreciate it. I've already called up a different tuner. This time I plan on staying for the tune. Not to watch over him....Just to be a part of the whole process. No just drop it off and hope. Maybe learn something too. Lesson learned. It's best for me to let this go considering how irritated I am. Thanks to all that answered.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What type of dyno was used? If it was a DynoJet, ask them to email you the dyno file (*.drf), then download WinPep and view the chart/data yourself. Of course they could have deleted the file and you’re out of luck.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by squarehead
What type of dyno was used? If it was a DynoJet, ask them to email you the dyno file (*.drf), then download WinPep and view the chart/data yourself. Of course they could have deleted the file and you’re out of luck.
It was a mustang dyno. And I already stated that I contacted them a bunch of times to email me the sheet. So asking them for the 7th time won't change the problem.

Last edited by black sky; 09-27-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

What shop was this so no one else goes there an has the same problems
Old 08-21-2015, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by leftysrepsol
What shop was this so no one else goes there an has the same problems
To be honest this is not the thread to post my dislikes for this shop or its name. I was only asking about the process of the dyno tune and the time frame of getting a hard copy of results. On a last note... i think maybe this is an isolated incident. Mostly because i have met people who were happy with them . As far as my opinion, I wish this would have turned out a little better.. Their shop is close and seemed like a good place for me. Nothing to do with cars....but I'm in local 134 also. Hope your keeping busy.

Last edited by black sky; 09-27-2015 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Misspell
Old 09-23-2015, 12:10 AM
Teching In

Maybe it's not about the enemies you kill but the friendlies you save?
It's your business but when I get poor service I think about how forgiving they would be if my credit card was maxed out and I couldn't pay.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

That shop is not in wi by chance is it? Just had my car tuned and i have similar tuning issues.did get dyno sheet.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Naptown Dave
Maybe it's not about the enemies you kill but the friendlies you save?
It's your business but when I get poor service I think about how forgiving they would be if my credit card was maxed out and I couldn't pay.
Well said.....I just hate looking like that pain in the *** customer who is never satisfied. Which is def not the case. I just feel like there is a specific reason there is no dyno sheet and why I'm being blown off. Either way it doesn't seem right.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by my406cid
That shop is not in wi by chance is it? Just had my car tuned and i have similar tuning issues.did get dyno sheet.
Not in Wisconsin, its in IL.

Quick Reply: Question about dyno tuning process.