Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Trans Am power expectations

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 02:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Am power expectations

Hey guys. Not sure if this is the right spot or not. But anyways i picked up a 2000 trans am 6 speed 88k miles on christmas eve and had a few questions. The car has alot of things done to it but the dyno the guy gave me doesn't seem to show the power me and other people would expect.

This is the engine mod list. Along with a full suspension. Well anyways the dyno shows 379hp and 359tq. It was done on a mustang dyno when it was 90°. I would think that the power should be alot higher then that with the mods. Im suspecting maybe the heads don't actually have any porting. But they do have 243 casting number. I have pulled bus lengths on my friends turbo honda that weighs 2400 with him in it on 10lbs of boost. And that car destroyed my stock lt1. The guy who dynoed it said come back in cool weather and it should reach 400hp. Am i going crazy over this or should the dyno be higher and that the weather and dyno played that big of a roll?

Last edited by Z28LikeABoss; 02-23-2016 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Adding photo
Old 02-23-2016, 02:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Take it to track and see what it traps. That will be a much better indicator
Old 02-23-2016, 07:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may be going crazy for nothing sir. Your run was on a Mustang Dyno, so the expected numbers should be less according to those on this forum. I have a crate ls6 long block, ARH stepped headers and their catted y, cat back and a lid on my 02. I put down on a Dyno Jet 381 thru an A4 trans. I did cheat a little bit and put on the stock wheels over my heavier and larger OE wheels. I did not see what trans your running, but I believe that you are on par with that that cam and 243 heads should put down.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Take it to track and see what it traps. That will be a much better indicator
I will be doing that this summer
Old 02-23-2016, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cali_bear2003
You may be going crazy for nothing sir. Your run was on a Mustang Dyno, so the expected numbers should be less according to those on this forum. I have a crate ls6 long block, ARH stepped headers and their catted y, cat back and a lid on my 02. I put down on a Dyno Jet 381 thru an A4 trans. I did cheat a little bit and put on the stock wheels over my heavier and larger OE wheels. I did not see what trans your running, but I believe that you are on par with that that cam and 243 heads should put down.
Ok so i am crazy lol. So i shouldn't expect too much more power from a dynojet then?
Old 02-23-2016, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great HP # for a mustang dyno
Old 02-23-2016, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

To me that power graph looks pretty darn healthy for that cam. I actually have a mustang dyno chart when I had a GT2-3 in my ls1. Besides the many other variables I'll say my heads & intake were better but I still had single exhaust. For that cam your upper powerband looks strong.
Attached Thumbnails Trans Am power expectations-img_6492.jpg  
Old 02-23-2016, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
To me that power graph looks pretty darn healthy for that cam. I actually have a mustang dyno chart when I had a GT2-3 in my ls1. Besides the many other variables I'll say my heads & intake were better but I still had single exhaust. For that cam your upper powerband looks strong.
So should i expect to hit almost 400 on a dynojet? Those number look good to. This car definitely doesn't ever stop pulling. Everytime i shift i still keep pulling hard. Could be the 4.10s also
Old 02-23-2016, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28LikeABoss
So should i expect to hit almost 400 on a dynojet? Those number look good to. This car definitely doesn't ever stop pulling. Everytime i shift i still keep pulling hard. Could be the 4.10s also
I would guess you'd be at, or just above, 400hp on a dyno jet. Also noting you make 20 more hp than max tq. I think mine was 4hp over max tq. Looks real good.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
I would guess you'd be at, or just above, 400hp on a dyno jet. Also noting you make 20 more hp than max tq. I think mine was 4hp over max tq. Looks real good.
Awesome. That would make me happy for sure. I wish i had a extra car so i can get more head work done though. Thanks man!
Old 02-24-2016, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome. That would make me happy for sure. I wish i had a extra car so i can get more head work done though. Thanks man!
Getting more headwork done would only yield minimal gains at this point. Your next step should be a larger cam to take advantage of the heads, if they truly are ported
Old 02-25-2016, 02:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 6SSPEED
Getting more headwork done would only yield minimal gains at this point. Your next step should be a larger cam to take advantage of the heads, if they truly are ported
So far everything he said was done looks done. Sucks i cant see the head work till they are off though. I was gonna look into cams. I want at least 450 wheel hp.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:14 AM
TECH Regular

If those last 200 rpm drop because of the rev limiter and not a power loss, then raising the limit may yeild a higher peak hp. Looked like it just started to build power again then dropped, like it was going to continue to climb, then hit the rev limit and died off. I'm not familiar with that cam, but it looks like it could sustain a few hundred more rpm. Like mentioned earlier, those 11 inch wide rears are costing you a few ponies. And if it's not a 10 bolt anymore then you are loosing some there as well. Builds power like a rocket though...
Old 02-25-2016, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A DynoJet might not give you the "inflated" numbers you are looking for. I know that car and I know that dyno. We have had cars come from that dyno, same day, to our DynoJet here in Eugene and the numbers were within 3hp and 5tq when SAE correction was used.

Trap speed will indicate more, power seems about on par for that small of a cam and baby heads though.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CamaroWhoopAss
If those last 200 rpm drop because of the rev limiter and not a power loss, then raising the limit may yeild a higher peak hp. Looked like it just started to build power again then dropped, like it was going to continue to climb, then hit the rev limit and died off. I'm not familiar with that cam, but it looks like it could sustain a few hundred more rpm. Like mentioned earlier, those 11 inch wide rears are costing you a few ponies. And if it's not a 10 bolt anymore then you are loosing some there as well. Builds power like a rocket though...
How much higher would you say? And is it safe to push the rpm any higher?
Old 02-25-2016, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HolyShiznit
A DynoJet might not give you the "inflated" numbers you are looking for. I know that car and I know that dyno. We have had cars come from that dyno, same day, to our DynoJet here in Eugene and the numbers were within 3hp and 5tq when SAE correction was used.

Trap speed will indicate more, power seems about on par for that small of a cam and baby heads though.
How well do you know the car
Old 02-25-2016, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Doubt it's going to pick up anymore power, the HP was starting to flatline around 5800 rpm and was starting to drop around 6400 which is common for LS1's to start losing power at unless they have aftermarket intake mani/spec'd cam.

Originally Posted by CamaroWhoopAss
Old 02-26-2016, 02:41 AM
TECH Regular

How much higher would you say? And is it safe to push the rpm any higher?
Everyone has an opinion, but I'd keep a stock bottom end under 6600. I was assuming you had good heads, but the other guy doesn't think so? Like I said earlier I'm not familiar with that cam, but I compared the specs to some other ls1 cams and that seems to be a pretty mild cam. Not a whole lot of lift or duration. Now that I understand it's a mild cam, the numbers seem about right and I wouldn't expect much more out of it. You just need a bigger cam and the power would continue to climb instead of flatlining like your dyno shows. A full bolt on ls1 with ls6 ported heads and a good cam should be able to put down 400 at the wheels.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:13 AM
Teching In

Incase anyone was interested it dynoed at 387hp and 377tq. Did the 1/4 in 12.605 @ 112.7mph
Old 07-15-2016, 05:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Depending on track conditions, that seems about right

Quick Reply: Trans Am power expectations