Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

LS2 GTO A4 with 218/224 cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS2 GTO A4 with 218/224 cam

Thought I would share the results of my woman's daily driver. Its a 2006 LS2 GTO with the 4L65e, about 100k miles and a few mods. Here is what she has:

- BTR Stage 3 Truck cam - 218/224 113LSA
- Stock GM Blue springs
- CSP ported LS2 Intake mani and TB
- VR intake
- Kooks 1 3/4" L/T into catted X and full 3"
- UDP
- FTI 3200 Stall
- 243 Heads milled .030 and a good VJ
- Tuned by yours truly

The best it has run so far is 11.91 @ 113+ before we put it on the dyno. On the dyno it picked up roughly 25rwhp by leaning it from 12.3 AFR to 12.8-13.0 AFR. It should pick up a little at the track on the next outing. Race weight with no driver is 3580lbs, so its a full weight GTO.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Nice track time for the mods. Are you sure those springs are okay for that cam? Don't know the details on the blue springs, I thought they were the same as the yellow ls6 which is only goof to .550 lift or something.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Yep, they are definitely good. Its what BT recommends.

Car is getting a new setup soon, so the baby cam and springs are coming out anyway.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Race weight with no driver is 3580lbs, so its a full weight GTO.
Nice numbers and time, however I wouldn't call a car that's got almost 200lbs taken out of it a "full weight" car.

I could barely muster that kind of power with an HCI M6 GTO so you sure got some skill tuning there...
Old 04-18-2017, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

It had a 1/4 tank gas and drag pack on it. The same way I race it at the track. It still even has the tow hitch brace and cats on the car. It's a certified scale.

Before the VR intake it had a crappy K&N, made 418 on another dyno. After the VR install the WOT AFR was about 7% lean. The intake definitely helped out.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnDaMan
Thought I would share the results of my woman's daily driver. Its a 2006 LS2 GTO with the 4L65e, about 100k miles and a few mods. Here is what she has:

- BTR Stage 3 Truck cam - 218/224 113LSA
- Stock GM Blue springs
- CSP ported LS2 Intake mani and TB
- VR intake
- Kooks 1 3/4" L/T into catted X and full 3"
- UDP
- FTI 3200 Stall
- 243 Heads milled .030 and a good VJ
- Tuned by yours truly

The best it has run so far is 11.91 @ 113+ before we put it on the dyno. On the dyno it picked up roughly 25rwhp by leaning it from 12.3 AFR to 12.8-13.0 AFR. It should pick up a little at the track on the next outing. Race weight with no driver is 3580lbs, so its a full weight GTO.

excellent numbers. Cam motion lobes? Surprised leaning it out gained that much. What wideband did you use?
Old 04-18-2017, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

I was surprised as well it picked up that much. If it doesn't rain tomorrow we will go to Darlington and see what she does.

I use a cheapo LC2 Innovate WB.

The cam is straight from BTR, comp cam lobes.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

I was surprised as well it picked up that much. If it doesn't rain tomorrow we will go to Darlington and see what she does.

I use a cheapo LC2 Innovate WB.

The cam is straight from BTR, comp cam lobes.
ok those wbs can be pretty far off. I bet you were richer than 12.3 which is why you gained that much. My old dynojet wideband used to be off by about .5 rich which is why I invested in a ballenger 500.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

I have an AFR500 as well but never really noticed a large difference between the two. It did 430 and 431 back to back so if it picks up .1 to .2 at the track then the gain is verified.

Gains at the track is all I really care about honestly.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts

Pm me if you wanna sell the cam when you take it out.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Will do. It will be a couple months, I have to rebuild the trans in my truck first.

Forgot to add, torque was 403 @ the tire. I'm not sure why he only sent the HP graph to me
Old 04-18-2017, 12:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds good. Just lemme know, I may have something by then but hit me up anyway.

Question. With 430rwhp shouldn't it be trapping a bit higher than that? I'd say at least 117-118? I'm wondering why I see so many gtos putting down good hp and tq numbers but running slower times than they should be at that power level (no offense meant).

Last edited by Kfxguy; 04-18-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

No offense taken at all. Pray, long standing member here, asked the same thing after the 431rwhp dyno pull. He has been helping me with some upcoming mods and was there at the dyno and at the track when the car ran the 11.9 ET. The tune I ran the 11.9 at the track was only 403rwhp on the first dyno pul. So that may be a bit why the mph seems low. If the car runs 115ish mph with the 431rwhp tune I would think that is a good gain. Like I said hopefully it doesn't rain tomorrow and Darlington is open. I will update if we make some passes.

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
Sounds good. Just lemme know, I may have something by then but hit me up anyway.

Question. With 430rwhp shouldn't it be trapping a bit higher than that? I'd say at least 117-118? I'm wondering why I see so many gtos putting down good hp and tq numbers but running slower times than they should be at that power level (no offense meant).
Old 04-18-2017, 02:15 PM
TECH Veteran

No offense taken at all. Pray, long standing member here, asked the same thing after the 431rwhp dyno pull. He has been helping me with some upcoming mods and was there at the dyno and at the track when the car ran the 11.9 ET. The tune I ran the 11.9 at the track was only 403rwhp on the first dyno pul. So that may be a bit why the mph seems low. If the car runs 115ish mph with the 431rwhp tune I would think that is a good gain. Like I said hopefully it doesn't rain tomorrow and Darlington is open. I will update if we make some passes.
Ok that makes a little more sense but I must ask....

So I had a third gen camaro a few years back, it made 407rwhp and it weighed 3550 with me in it. It trapped 120-122 and ran 11.50's on nt555r drag radials. I can't help but wonder tho, say yours weighs a couple hundred lbs more with driver, making more power than mine did, it should be around 118mph trap speed one would think? And again, no smartassness meant at all. I just got an 04 gto and I'm trying to map out my modding plans. I may skip the cam and heads and concentrate on getting the car and drivetrain setup and efficient first then put a bigger motor in it. I hate to go waste money on heads, cam, intake etc if my goal won't be met (120mph trap speed daily driver like my third gen camaro) or even close to it with this motor. What's your thoughts? I'm at an even bigger disadvantage than you are with me having a 5.7
Old 04-18-2017, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

trans and stall tune makes a big difference in MPH. If the stall isnt locked at the proper rpm, or just stays unlocked the whole run, mph goes down a lot. Most single disc aftermarket stalls shouldnt even be locked at wot.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mchicia1
trans and stall tune makes a big difference in MPH. If the stall isnt locked at the proper rpm, or just stays unlocked the whole run, mph goes down a lot. Most single disc aftermarket stalls shouldnt even be locked at wot.
True but on my old car I had a 2600-2800 vigilante convertor and I didn't see much (if any) difference locking the convertor in the 1/4. I went through great pains trying to tune it with locking up but it just seemed to slow it down (lack of power?) I have a yank truck thruster (I got it in a trade deal) 3000 I was going to put in the car but I'm considering selling it and getting a car series yank convertor. I was going to build the trans as efficiently as possible while I have it out. I build my own transmissions (not saying I'm a pro but I try to pay attention to details) so decreasing drag in first and second gear is important to me, might be why the 3rd gen ran so well.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

True but on my old car I had a 2600-2800 vigilante convertor and I didn't see much (if any) difference locking the convertor in the 1/4. I went through great pains trying to tune it with locking up but it just seemed to slow it down (lack of power?) I have a yank truck thruster (I got it in a trade deal) 3000 I was going to put in the car but I'm considering selling it and getting a car series yank convertor. I was going to build the trans as efficiently as possible while I have it out. I build my own transmissions (not saying I'm a pro but I try to pay attention to details) so decreasing drag in first and second gear is important to me, might be why the 3rd gen ran so well.
it has to be locked at the right rpm for it to work. It will bog the car down if locked too low. Essentially, it extends the gear another few hundred rpm so you sit in the peak power sweet spot longer. Its best of both worlds. Unlock to get the torque multiplication at lower rpm, then lock at highee to extend the gear and plant max power to the ground.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mchicia1
it has to be locked at the right rpm for it to work. It will bog the car down if locked too low. Essentially, it extends the gear another few hundred rpm so you sit in the peak power sweet spot longer. Its best of both worlds. Unlock to get the torque multiplication at lower rpm, then lock at highee to extend the gear and plant max power to the ground.
I mentioned in my post that I tried locking it up. Not just once, I had a box (old school 700r4 junk) that had a **** you rotate for different lockup rpms. I tried it all over the place and it didn't seem to help so I just stopped using it. My car was trapping 120-122 not locking up. It actually would have probably pulled more mph than that but I was new to building transmissions and I couldn't get it to hold in third gear without slippage. Sometimes when it was warmer, I'd go through the lights on the rev limiter of 7800rpm. 3.73 gear, 26" tall tire.....should not be going through the traps on the limiter. But that's another story.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

Ok that makes a little more sense but I must ask....

So I had a third gen camaro a few years back, it made 407rwhp and it weighed 3550 with me in it. It trapped 120-122 and ran 11.50's on nt555r drag radials. I can't help but wonder tho, say yours weighs a couple hundred lbs more with driver, making more power than mine did, it should be around 118mph trap speed one would think? And again, no smartassness meant at all. I just got an 04 gto and I'm trying to map out my modding plans. I may skip the cam and heads and concentrate on getting the car and drivetrain setup and efficient first then put a bigger motor in it. I hate to go waste money on heads, cam, intake etc if my goal won't be met (120mph trap speed daily driver like my third gen camaro) or even close to it with this motor. What's your thoughts? I'm at an even bigger disadvantage than you are with me having a 5.7
You bring up some very valid points. I will also share some data with you. At one point in time I had a LS2 Swapped B4C Camaro with Headers, off road Y, STOCK catback, lid and a tune. It was a 4L60e car with the stock converter and gear (3.23s in the B4C car). It routinely ran 12.2 @ 114.xx in the 1/4 mile with 36x rwhp. If I remember right the 60' was around 1.9ish with maybe a couple 1.8s in there on the stock converter. I had a lot of runs on that setup and it had a good street tune in it. Now my current car, 2008 C6 LS3 A6 Vette, runs 11.2x @123.5 with a 1.7ish 60' on bolt-ons. It dyno's around 42x rwhp with 41x torque and has the following mods: Halltech intake, RCR intake manifold, Kooks Headers with catted X, Yank 3200 (way too tight, hence the lazy 60'), Ported TB and UDP. It is on the top ten fastest list for bolt-on only mods. Obviously its a lighter car then the GTO, however its not THAT much lighter to have 10 more MPH with roughly the same RWHP.

There are a lot of factors at play in every setup but in all honestly I have no more than 5-6 passes at the track on the GTO. I had lots in my old B4C LS2 Fbody, tons in my C6 LS3 Vette, but only a handful in the woman's car so far. I feel certain there is more MPH in the setup with adjusting shift points and tinkering with the lockup. The biggest problem is the huge drop on the 1-2 shift in the 4L60 during the run. Originally I believe the tune was shifting out of first around 6300ish RPMs and looking at the dyno sheet I will extend that first gear shift out to 6500-6600 and see if that helps. If there is time before the new setup to tweak these things and test them at the strip I most certainly will.

On that note, since I am rebuilding my 4L60e in the truck and its my first time doing a transmission I am open to any and all tips you may have! I have several books and a video but real world experience goes a long way. If you don't mind I will PM you for more details, thanks.

Quick Reply: LS2 GTO A4 with 218/224 cam