Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Did I really get a dyno tune?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
So my tuner who works at one of the most successful engine manufacturing shops that makes and ships up to $150k engines around the world is not well versed? The same guy that is responsible for these engines being tuned and correct before they leave the shop? The same guy who has a $60k dyno at his home that insists I leave my car with him so that the engine can cool down properly during tuning which requires a few days then to complete the tune? He's not well versed? I guess I better inform the shop then that he's not the right guy despite his proven track record.

Again, anyone that tells you they can tune your car without leaving it with them overnight doesn't know how to properly tune the car.
Anyone can own a dyno, doesn't mean you know what you're doing. I own one, easiest thing I've bought in terms of requirements. I could care less if he ships 150k worth of motors. It seems you are very easy to impress and go off of what you see on the surface. If your tuner takes DAYS to tune your vehicle he either is not well versed, packed/booked, or a slow worker/one man team. I tune a large variety of vehicles and it takes me no longer than 30 minutes to get it ironed out, and if it's a very complicated build, about 3-4 hours TOPS to have driveability, power delivery, startup, etc dialed in. Sorry if your feelings are hurt, but you don't see people like pat G, Shane t, etc holding on to customers vehicles overnight or days, because if you know what you'e doing, shouldn't keep a car for more than 1 day for a tune considering there's no mechanical issues. If you want me to keep a car for more than 1 day for tuning believe me you will get TAXED to get that extra 1% to have the car running 100%. And even then, it won't be 100% your tuner needs to understand that there's a point where it's not efficient to get it anymore perfect. Just nitpicking little ****.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You mean. LOL
Old 02-07-2018, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by subeone
Anyone can own a dyno, doesn't mean you know what you're doing. I own one, easiest thing I've bought in terms of requirements. I could care less if he ships 150k worth of motors. It seems you are very easy to impress and go off of what you see on the surface. If your tuner takes DAYS to tune your vehicle he either is not well versed, packed/booked, or a slow worker/one man team. I tune a large variety of vehicles and it takes me no longer than 30 minutes to get it ironed out, and if it's a very complicated build, about 3-4 hours TOPS to have driveability, power delivery, startup, etc dialed in. Sorry if your feelings are hurt, but you don't see people like pat G, Shane t, etc holding on to customers vehicles overnight or days, because if you know what you'e doing, shouldn't keep a car for more than 1 day for a tune considering there's no mechanical issues. If you want me to keep a car for more than 1 day for tuning believe me you will get TAXED to get that extra 1% to have the car running 100%. And even then, it won't be 100% your tuner needs to understand that there's a point where it's not efficient to get it anymore perfect. Just nitpicking little ****.
I'm no tuner nor have done it myself. Just curious. How do you dial in cold start tune if the car doesn't get time to actually cool? Just curious as I've heard many tuners say a car has to completely cool down to see what it's actually doing at cold start up.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
I'm no tuner nor have done it myself. Just curious. How do you dial in cold start tune if the car doesn't get time to actually cool? Just curious as I've heard many tuners say a car has to completely cool down to see what it's actually doing at cold start up.
To see what it's actually going to do, yes. When a tuner starts with a past tune it is usually pretty damn close. Pat G was mentioned earlier. I know in his case, if there is an issue with cold start, or anything else for that matter he will clean it up with no issue. That is what makes a good tuner.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
After hundreds of vehicles under your belt, you start to pick up on what these factory PCM's like to see during cold start conditions. In some cases, like various gen 4's, the engine needs to be at operating temperature to get accurate RAF values sought by the controller, there's no direct ECT vs RAF like gen 3 controllers. As I said, the vast majority doesn't need nowhere near a day. If its a crazy stroker setup, with wildly different injection angles, port surfaces, as seen with sheet metal intakes (modifying boiling temp tables, evap, transient, ETC), then it may take longer, but those are not so common.

Quick Reply: Did I really get a dyno tune?