Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

418ci tfs235 Nissan 240sx

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 01:52 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Frankenstein supplied & ported the heads, they start as a rough cut cnc casting from Trick Flow. They finish themselves to there spec, that way they are still a 235 runner. Lots of details to the motor, such as electric water pump. Three different camshafts, two or three sets of valve springs, lifter changes, 2 or 3 sets of roller rockers & hours of shimming.

They also cleaned up the Fast 102 from the previous port
Old 06-11-2019, 04:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 534 Likes on 382 Posts

CTD~ you better erase those post about those TFS heads. I been telling people where the power at but they stuck in reverse. TFS=Power to the people.
The following users liked this post:
AINT SKEERED (06-30-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bortous
Interesting information.
What heads were on this first that only made 518rwhp? and what were the cam specifications?
If the porting of the fast is not done right, it ruins the performance and power production of an engine.
So he went from 518 to 596 rwhp. Bet the first set of heads was holding his 416ci back big time.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:37 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

When I made the change to the TF heads that was the only change, both sets were flow tested by Chris Frank. So yes the gain was from cylinder heads only.

I had already made a camshaft change & chased everything else trying to find the missing power. Still remember staring @ the car one day thinking the problem has to be the heads. Spent a lot of time calling the some of the big name cylinder heads guys explaining my war story trying to get answers. My last call was to Chris Frank & he said to send him the original heads & he would bench them. They failed horribly & would never make the power I was looking for & promised. He offered to try & fix them, I said no & wanted the motor to make power & what would he recommend.

After that head swap I swapped the cam once more looking the perfect mannered vette. So three cam swaps, overlap from 17* to 10.5* & finally 4.5* as it is today.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ctd
When I made the change to the TF heads that was the only change, both sets were flow tested by Chris Frank. So yes the gain was from cylinder heads only.

I had already made a camshaft change & chased everything else trying to find the missing power. Still remember staring @ the car one day thinking the problem has to be the heads. Spent a lot of time calling the some of the big name cylinder heads guys explaining my war story trying to get answers. My last call was to Chris Frank & he said to send him the original heads & he would bench them. They failed horribly & would never make the power I was looking for & promised. He offered to try & fix them, I said no & wanted the motor to make power & what would he recommend.

After that head swap I swapped the cam once more looking the perfect mannered vette. So three cam swaps, overlap from 17* to 10.5* & finally 4.5* as it is today.
Let me take a wild guess. I bet you had LS3 heads before the badass TFS cathedrals?
Old 06-11-2019, 08:49 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

No, that war was just starting to brew when my project began.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ctd

wow... talk about dedication. Your results speak volume. Still hydraulic or low lash solid roller ? I must admit I was thinking about going to some mast medium bore ls3 heads but your starting to make me think otherwise. might get a mamo ported msd intake and bigger throttle body and see where it puts me.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:59 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Still hydraulic, the last cam swap & 4.5* overlap has enough lift & spring pressure the LS7 lifters made to much noise @ idle. Heads came off again & new lifters went in, measure the pushrods & replaced those. Went over the wipe pattern again & reshimmed, the roller rockers are TFS recommendation as I had failures of the other brand.

I've not spoken with Chris Frank in 3-4 years, he is the only one I could recommend chatting with. One phone conversation I remember clearly with him is when we were discussing the flow data of the TF compared to the heads I had taken off. The other heads stalled quite early, the TF's did not..... the conversation was more about how the TF airflow accelerated @ very low lift numbers & how the motor would react to that. He was so right, this motor is explosive is the best description of how it accelerates from very low rpm. I always thought this to be an advantage cathedral vs rect port, if you have faster accelerating air flow thru a smaller port with similar cfm it has to be good thing.

In my collection of data logs I have stretch of 3 lane highway that has a very nice long gradual grade to it. I would do fourth gear runs from 2-7000 rpm to get solid sustained AFR data points. This stretch of highway had a little bump in that you would barely notice @ the posted speed limit of 60mph, I went thru it @ 100mph. The car unloaded slightly & I could feel the rear tires starting to spin, whoops I'm thinking Ha! I did nothing, kept the throttle planted & made sure I did not move the steering wheel, it sorted itself out & that was that. I reviewed the data afterwards & you could see exactly what had happened.

I'm not a big social media guy, I do have facebook page with a video of the car & motor idling not long after it was installed. If you are interested in that I can PM you the link.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ctd
Still hydraulic, the last cam swap & 4.5* overlap has enough lift & spring pressure the LS7 lifters made to much noise @ idle. Heads came off again & new lifters went in, measure the pushrods & replaced those. Went over the wipe pattern again & reshimmed, the roller rockers are TFS recommendation as I had failures of the other brand.

I've not spoken with Chris Frank in 3-4 years, he is the only one I could recommend chatting with. One phone conversation I remember clearly with him is when we were discussing the flow data of the TF compared to the heads I had taken off. The other heads stalled quite early, the TF's did not..... the conversation was more about how the TF airflow accelerated @ very low lift numbers & how the motor would react to that. He was so right, this motor is explosive is the best description of how it accelerates from very low rpm. I always thought this to be an advantage cathedral vs rect port, if you have faster accelerating air flow thru a smaller port with similar cfm it has to be good thing.

In my collection of data logs I have stretch of 3 lane highway that has a very nice long gradual grade to it. I would do fourth gear runs from 2-7000 rpm to get solid sustained AFR data points. This stretch of highway had a little bump in that you would barely notice @ the posted speed limit of 60mph, I went thru it @ 100mph. The car unloaded slightly & I could feel the rear tires starting to spin, whoops I'm thinking Ha! I did nothing, kept the throttle planted & made sure I did not move the steering wheel, it sorted itself out & that was that. I reviewed the data afterwards & you could see exactly what had happened.

I'm not a big social media guy, I do have facebook page with a video of the car & motor idling not long after it was installed. If you are interested in that I can PM you the link.
That's about how mine car is, it's very explosive. It's like a turbo car sometimes , i'll hit it at a low rpm it'll go and then when the rpm's get around 3800 it'll spin hard like boost is coming in. yes i'm interested in the link.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by bortous
You do have good points but I'm kind of fussy in that way.
I have never spoken to Nick who is the guy that does all the custom camshafts for Brian.
I might contact btr next time though for any parts.
I know btr have great products.
I notice the infamous 245cc trick flow head they sell too
Nick is really good at what he does and has been doing it for a long time. Him and Brian both have very similar views on camshafts. I've been dealing with Brian, Jared and Nick for years now and they are a great group. I talked to Nick this past Friday actually and had him spec me a cam for my car.

Nice numbers OP.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

well i installed a warr 102 and it barely improved the kpa drop. it falls from 99 kpa to 94.5 kpa now. Haven't got it on the dyno yet. A well respected member on here sold me his mamo ported msd intake so that should be here this week. I can't wait to see how it does on my setup vs the 102 with 95mm throttle body.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Boback1
well i installed a warr 102 and it barely improved the kpa drop. it falls from 99 kpa to 94.5 kpa now. Haven't got it on the dyno yet. A well respected member on here sold me his mamo ported msd intake so that should be here this week. I can't wait to see how it does on my setup vs the 102 with 95mm throttle body.
I changed from.a fast 90 to a ported msd on my 6.0 on the dyno and made same day dyno pills. The msd made same power but extends the power out farther .was over 40hp difference at 7200.

Geoff skinner was amazed at how it carried and said that will be his go to intake for strokers as the fast falls of early which is also why Geoff puts a lot more exhaust duration on his camz just like Brian, helps carry power up top.

Nice build, those heads seem to be working well
Old 07-01-2019, 06:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AINT SKEERED
I changed from.a fast 90 to a ported msd on my 6.0 on the dyno and made same day dyno pills. The msd made same power but extends the power out farther .was over 40hp difference at 7200.

Geoff skinner was amazed at how it carried and said that will be his go to intake for strokers as the fast falls of early which is also why Geoff puts a lot more exhaust duration on his camz just like Brian, helps carry power up top.

Nice build, those heads seem to be working well
nice !!! 40 hp is a crazy gain. I installed the msd and just trying to dial in the fuel trims. I can feel the slight torque loss in the lower rpm but barley. The power band feels alot more smoother( which i like) and not so explosive . Difference i feel for is the high rpm pull.It just pulls harder all around. My fast 102 wasn't ported so i'm hoping to pick up some power all around. I don't mind some torque loss. I set my rev limit to 7200 so i wouldn't worry about hitting it while getting fueling dialed in and it smacked it without me even feeling it. My car used to choke up top like i can feel redline was coming. This msd just kept pulling. May need to raise my rev limit to 7400 lol.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:47 AM
TECH Junkie

nice !!! 40 hp is a crazy gain. I installed the msd and just trying to dial in the fuel trims. I can feel the slight torque loss in the lower rpm but barley. The power band feels alot more smoother( which i like) and not so explosive . Difference i feel for is the high rpm pull.It just pulls harder all around. My fast 102 wasn't ported so i'm hoping to pick up some power all around. I don't mind some torque loss. I set my rev limit to 7200 so i wouldn't worry about hitting it while getting fueling dialed in and it smacked it without me even feeling it. My car used to choke up top like i can feel redline was coming. This msd just kept pulling. May need to raise my rev limit to 7400 lol.
Yes on a stroker the fast peak early and fall off. That mad just lost a little down low. I'll find the thread and post here where I compared them
Old 07-01-2019, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...ome-today.html
Old 07-01-2019, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Yes on a stroker the fast peak early and fall off. That mad just lost a little down low. I'll find the thread and post here where I compared them
That's cool that it still picked up power on the 6.0. I read your thread and saw your vacuum was really close to atmosphere. my engine is still goes into vacuum. drops to 94-95 kpa above 6000 rpm even after the 102 throttle and ported msd. Atmospheric that day was 99kpa. it definetly picked up some power because my afr went from 12.2 to 12.7. even leaner after 6700 to 7200 rpm.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

That's cool that it still picked up power on the 6.0. I read your thread and saw your vacuum was really close to atmosphere. my engine is still goes into vacuum. drops to 94-95 kpa above 6000 rpm even after the 102 throttle and ported msd. Atmospheric that day was 99kpa. it definetly picked up some power because my afr went from 12.2 to 12.7. even leaner after 6700 to 7200 rpm.
Mine leaned out also
You already had plenty tq down low so id trade power up top on the msd every time. Good luck with it.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Mine leaned out also
You already had plenty tq down low so id trade power up top on the msd every time. Good luck with it.
Thank you bro. I'll update with the numbers once i make it back on the dyno.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was finally able to get all my issues lined out and get my car tuned. Just wanna say thank you to darth_v8r and NAVYBLUE210 for taking the time to talk to me and share their knowledge about the problems I was having. This engine is in my 1997 Nissan 240sx. It was 97 degrees in the shop and that good ole Texas humidity was bad today but overall I’m happy with the power. Runs good and hard for what it is. It is tuned on e85. The car is going into vacuum near redline so I think I might need to step up the throttle body size. It would start at 99 and work it’s way down to 93 kpa by redline. Mustang dyno's are really heart breakers.

ls3 block
4.080 bore 11:5:1
tfs 235 heads
fast 102 with Holley 95mm throttle body
4 inch cold air intake
speed density
1 7/8th longtubes
3 inch true dual x pipe
btr custom cam 243/256 114 +4
johnson lifters
3/8 pushrods
btr platinum springs
ati damper
tdp stage 2 t56
monster lt1s clutch.

Hello
btr platinum springs , Do you know the part number?
Old 04-27-2020, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Originally Posted by po feng
Hello
btr platinum springs , Do you know the part number?
SP001-16 one set of 16 BTR Platinum valve springs