Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

N/A E85 results

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 907 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by zzracer
The point of this thread was to show that in some cases you do have gains on E85 N/A . No we did not see gains like you would in a boosted application and did not expect to. Are my gains worth what I spent ? Absolutely! Of course everyone is different and everyone may not have the same results. Everyone will have to make their on dicesion if it's worth it or not. To me it was and it's a pretty good gain through the whole rpm range.

You are right. It is an impressive gain for sure. Sorry for derailing your thread.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
You know what princess I'm happy for you.

I'm sorry that you posted on the internet and someone didn't agree with you.

I'm sorry that my experience is different than yours.

I'm sorry that that the people I've worked with, that are way smarter than most people on this board disagree.

I'm sorry others in this thread, and on the internet, we have had different experiences than you. Well that's ******* life.

If going E on a N/A build was worth it. You would hear about it just as much as you hear about going E on boost.

Honestly the only thing I'm sorry about is I bothered to post in here.

You probably picked up 10rwhp from a K&N too....

ok now I'm just being unreasonable...
You are the one that posted and someone disagreed. I know that **** is worth different amounts on different setups. So your post about something that someone else did on a totally different car doesnt really mean that much.

Im also sorry that your experience of watching a youtube video is different from what we proved in the real world.

If we would have known that we could get the gains we got from the start, we would have possibly built it a little different to get even more from E85. And will do so in the future.

It is worth something on some n/a builds. Again if you know there is potential for 5-10hp when you set out to build a car maybe you just buy a little bigger injector and fuel pump from the start and it really doesnt cost any different. All these 4th gens with heads and cam bought bigger injectors and pumps to run gasoline anyway. If you have to change your setup and spend a million dollars to make 7 hp, well I dont think its worth it but I also understand that the more you make the harder it is to keep making more. So to each his own.

And obviously its not worth as much as it would be on a 1000rwhp boosted car. But if this car goes a tenth faster at the track it was worth atleast 5 times the money he has in it.

I guess you just read the side of the box on the K&N filter that said it makes 10 more ( your experience, lol). But oddly enough these runs were made with a paper parts store factory replacement filter. And not even a new one, it is a little dirty. When we pull that off and run his cold air kit, that he runs at the track, which is a wide open 4 inch tube from throttle body to the grill, it gained 2 rwhp on the dyno. It gains around a tenth in a 1/8 mile with the "ram air" effect.

So thanks for your input, I will agree with you on one aspect, I am also sorry that you posted. Feel free to invite your smarter friends in here. Id love to hear their opinion as well.

Jon

Last edited by JonCR96Z; 06-18-2020 at 10:34 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JonCR96Z:
aaronc7 (06-18-2020), fastsspr (06-28-2020), G Atsma (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 489 Likes on 316 Posts

People spend 2 grand swapping from 1 7/8" headers to 2" headers to gain 10whp lol

People swap cams to gain 10whp, but only up top

People spend $1000+ on a fast intake to...make the same power as an ls3 intake :p
The following 3 users liked this post by spanks13:
G Atsma (06-18-2020), low2001gmc (09-05-2020), Paul Brannam (10-21-2023)
Old 06-18-2020, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by spanks13
People spend 2 grand swapping from 1 7/8" headers to 2" headers to gain 10whp lol

People swap cams to gain 10whp, but only up top

People spend $1000+ on a fast intake to...make the same power as an ls3 intake :p
My thoughts exaclty. What do you consider worth it? This thread isnt about the value of a dollar or someones time. Its about how much power zzracer's car gained on e85.

Take this information however you want, but the more thats out there the better.
The following 2 users liked this post by JonCR96Z:
fastsspr (06-28-2020), G Atsma (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
You are the one that posted and someone disagreed. I know that **** is worth different amounts on different setups. So your post about something that someone else did on a totally different car doesnt really mean that much.

Im also sorry that your experience of watching a youtube video is different from what we proved in the real world.

If we would have known that we could get the gains we got from the start, we would have possibly built it a little different to get even more from E85. And will do so in the future.

It is worth something on some n/a builds. Again if you know there is potential for 5-10hp when you set out to build a car maybe you just buy a little bigger injector and fuel pump from the start and it really doesnt cost any different. All these 4th gens with heads and cam bought bigger injectors and pumps to run gasoline anyway. If you have to change your setup and spend a million dollars to make 7 hp, well I dont think its worth it but I also understand that the more you make the harder it is to keep making more. So to each his own.

And obviously its not worth as much as it would be on a 1000rwhp boosted car. But if this car goes a tenth faster at the track it was worth atleast 5 times the money he has in it.

I guess you just read the side of the box on the K&N filter that said it makes 10 more ( your experience, lol). But oddly enough these runs were made with a paper parts store factory replacement filter. And not even a new one, it is a little dirty. When we pull that off and run his cold air kit, that he runs at the track, which is a wide open 4 inch tube from throttle body to the grill, it gained 2 rwhp on the dyno. It gains around a tenth in a 1/8 mile with the "ram air" effect.

So thanks for your input, I will agree with you on one aspect, I am also sorry that you posted. Feel free to invite your smarter friends in here. Id love to hear their opinion as well.

Jon
You are right. All my experience comes from watching YouTube......damn you caught me.

You make a valid point that I should believe someone on an internet forum and not YouTube video from someone who has a shop. Those are two completely different things. That makes sense, i didn't see that till now.

Thanks for your input also.

Last edited by LilJayV10; 06-18-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

If it makes any difference we were using my Dynojet Dyno sitting in my shop that Jon uses weekly to tune on. I'll try to get a video next time.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
You are right. All my experience comes from watching YouTube......damn you caught me.

You make a valid point that I should believe someone on an internet forum and not YouTube video from someone who has a shop. Those are two completely different things. That makes sense, i didn't see that till now.

Thanks for your input also.
Well, you can see the dyno sheet just the same as you could see the one in the video. Just because you have a shop doesnt make you anybody. If you dont know that then you've got a lot to learn. We've done things with this car and other similar ones that some of the big name shops said isnt possible. Just because people know your name doesn't mean anything to me.

On the flip side, should we believe you because you watched a video last week over the proof we have in front of us. We just tried this to see for ourselves what it would do instead of just believing what people tell us. Which I honestly do beleive is most of the experience you have.

If this went the other way and we lost power or gained less, then we probably wouldnt have went any further, but if you dont try youll never know for sure. And it still might not be faster at the track which is all that matters for this car anyway.

Jon
The following 2 users liked this post by JonCR96Z:
G Atsma (06-18-2020), LilJayV10 (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
Well, you can see the dyno sheet just the same as you could see the one in the video. Just because you have a shop doesnt make you anybody. If you dont know that then you've got a lot to learn. We've done things with this car and other similar ones that some of the big name shops said isnt possible. Just because people know your name doesn't mean anything to me.

On the flip side, should we believe you because you watched a video last week over the proof we have in front of us. We just tried this to see for ourselves what it would do instead of just believing what people tell us. Which I honestly do beleive is most of the experience you have.

If this went the other way and we lost power or gained less, then we probably wouldnt have went any further, but if you dont try youll never know for sure. And it still might not be faster at the track which is all that matters for this car anyway.

Jon
It's all good man. Real world experience beats what you read/saw on the internet every time. I get that.

Sometimes things don't work that you should have and vise versa.

If it works it works. That's all that matter.

The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (06-18-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 05:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

For example, if you have a 454 engine,
One with 11:8.1 compression and the other with 13:5.1 with the exact same combo.
​​​​​​Are you saying you will have zero gains with e85 on both engines?

Old 06-19-2020, 08:25 AM
10 Second Club

The more compression the bigger gains are possible. I have not tested this first hand yet. My engine has 11-1 compression.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to have enough injector and pump. My injectors are 50lb and are almost 90% duty cycle now at wot.
What is your fuel setup? Stock regulator? Feed? Thanks man

Doing the same to mine. But was going to run a new feed and use the stock feed as a return with a Regulator, and a 450 pump
Old 06-24-2020, 03:07 PM
10 Second Club

All I did was swap in a 340 pump I already had just to do this e85 test. If I leave it on e85 I'm going to do exactly what you are planning.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Does a 340 pump work ok on the stock fuel system?
Old 06-25-2020, 02:48 PM
10 Second Club

I don't think it is recommended but it's working it can over power the factory regulator. I have seen several trucks running a 340 with the factory regulator under the hood which I wouldn't recommend at all because if that regulator fails you are at risk of a fire under the hood.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think it is recommended but it's working it can over power the factory regulator. I have seen several trucks running a 340 with the factory regulator under the hood which I wouldn't recommend at all because if that regulator fails you are at risk of a fire under the hood.

Thanks for inviting me to this thread.
What 340 fuel pump are you using?
My intention with my car is bracket racing and not see myself growing or updating much in my combo in the near future.
You think my factory fuel lines with the ws6store C5 fuel filter conversion for f bodies can be good for a long term use?
I'm trying to avoid building a complete fuel system, but if I have to do it well have to be done.
I hope to run high 10s in my car with like 3500 race weight with me in the car.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:29 PM
10 Second Club

I have recently used the ws6 filter/regulator kit on a couple different cars,one being a turbo car. The kit seems to work well but I don't have any long term data with the kit. The turbo car has a 450 pump in it and is making 66? Thru a turbo 400 and 9" rear. I don't see any reason why the kit wouldn't be reliable. I am using an old version 340 pump I had laying around just to do the test. I will be upgrading to an e85 rated pump.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Interesting thread. I notice the timing was 28*, gas afr of 12.7 and e85 afr 13.3. How does the car respond on gas to a 13.3 afr? Or what was the gain on e85 at 12.7?
Old 11-10-2020, 08:44 PM
10 Second Club

Hardly any difference at all either way on gas or e85.

Quick Reply: N/A E85 results