Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Shop owners, load dyno users.. which dynos do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 01:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Shop owners, load dyno users.. which dynos do you prefer?

has anyone used the Dynojet 224x with the Eddy current load? Im not a big fan of the 224 model (Dynojet doesnt have the 248C, now the small 224 and the big 248x or something they call it.. it looks like the old model) but thats the only load option Dynojet offers.

What about Mustang Dynos? What have you guys used, liked - were inertia testing results similair to Dynojet inertia testing, was it able to load car consistantly for steady state manifold vacuum testing/tuning?

Im looking at Mustang and some of their "topline" stuff says it can only hold 400 hp? Looks like the model MD-250 and 600-HP can hold the most power steady state, unless im reading this wrong. What are you guys thoughts, which is the one to get? The 600-HP has an attachment for motorcycles, i kinda like the idea of that
Old 11-26-2004, 03:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hurry and get that dyno foo!
Old 11-26-2004, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
has anyone used the Dynojet 224x with the Eddy current load? Im not a big fan of the 224 model (Dynojet doesnt have the 248C, now the small 224 and the big 248x or something they call it.. it looks like the old model) but thats the only load option Dynojet offers.

What about Mustang Dynos? What have you guys used, liked - were inertia testing results similair to Dynojet inertia testing, was it able to load car consistantly for steady state manifold vacuum testing/tuning?

Im looking at Mustang and some of their "topline" stuff says it can only hold 400 hp? Looks like the model MD-250 and 600-HP can hold the most power steady state, unless im reading this wrong. What are you guys thoughts, which is the one to get? The 600-HP has an attachment for motorcycles, i kinda like the idea of that
I bought a MD-250 because it was more universal in the shop, and easy to install above ground with the optional ramp kit. I could have bought a Dynojet 248 alot cheaper, but it could not do what I was looking for. We use the dyno for tuning, simple power curve testing (in both loaded and inertia mode), speedometer calibrating, and alot of driveability and transmission testing. You can repair a vehicle and run it on the dyno to run the OBD monitors without leaving the shop. Steady state testing is simple with the Mustang. The dual roller, while top speed limited at about 150 mph and 900 hp, is quick and easy for speedometer testing (just drive on, test, drive off. Do not have to strap vehicle down just for that.)

The biggest misunderstanding about the Mustang software is that people think you have to enter the vehicle weight or input some weight figure. This is an vehicle simulation advantage, but you can run it in inertia only or run it at any acceleration rate you wish. That is also why you see so many variable numbers from the dyno's, different operators use them different ways. It really does not matter as long as you use the same method each time.

What are you going to be testing mostly? If you are doing all out race vehicles, a single roller like the MD-1750 would be needed. If mostly street cars, the MD-250 I think would do just fine.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Junkie

DynoDR? im going to take a guess and say is this John Sealock at Woodbridge?

Most street cars, max power 750-900 Id say

Id like to be able to do loaded steady kPa testing for speed density cars etc, turbo cars etc
Old 11-28-2004, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

DynoDR? im going to take a guess and say is this John Sealock at Woodbridge?

Most street cars, max power 750-900 Id say

Id like to be able to do loaded steady kPa testing for speed density cars etc, turbo cars etc
I think the MD250 would be just fine. You can add almost several monitoring channels to the system. We use wideband, vac/boost maping. It up to you how far you want to go.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

check out Dyno Dynamics, I have one of their dynos. I can hold up to 1500hp - 1300ftlbs at any rpm. I have had this dyno for about 2 yrs and have never had a problem with it.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, I have not used nor do I personally know of anyone useing a Dynojet load bearing vehicle chassis dyno.

We use a Mustang MD-1750 capable of up to 1750 inertia HP, 225 MPH and 800 steady state with power absorbtion units. Results are lower then Dynojet inertia testing because Dynojets read higher then other brands and potentially going even higher when they add measurable load control. The Mustang loads cars very, very consistantly for steady state vacuum testing/tuning.

As previously stated, the MD-1750 can hold up to 800 steady state HP. We have the 400 HP single eddy current PAU option and so far that has been more then enough, can always add another 400 HP PAU if it isn't. This single PAU usually only has to add HP to the huge 50 inch roller for excelleration testing.

We have had the Mustang for approx 5 yrs and based on what is on the market today, we would probably do the MD-1750 again. Previously we had a Clayton 500 HP dual roller measurable load bearing chassis dyno. With it we often had traction and tire heating problems with anything over 300 WHP. The Mustang's 50" drums have solved that problem and when it does not, they usually have the same problem on the street or track plus we can always add weight. Due to the much more complex operation and software, measureable load bearing dynos are not for everyone. Another chassis dyno I would consider is the Superflo brand, very similar to our Mustang but was not available when we made our purchase decision. I'm glad to know that you are only considering a measurable load bearing dyno - wise decision. EJ
Old 11-28-2004, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Check out the new MD-1100 they are giving killer sema/pri deals right now, talk to mike tell him tony sent ya.
Heres the link http://www.mustangdyne.com/pdfs/MD-1100%20Mailer%20(8.5x11).pdf
The cool option with MD is you get the 1/4 mile software with it too. Definetly a big plus for features. They have a video that scrolls on the top of the main page that you can download of a 8 second rail car making a full pass. Quite impressive.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

I know i want a load for sure.. but unfortunately dynojet numbers sell parts, makes money, and they are much cheaper. Most dont realize what real dynoes are capable of. Its a hard decision which way to go. What are the price tag of what you guys are operating?
Old 11-28-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know i want a load for sure.. but unfortunately dynojet numbers sell parts, makes money, and they are much cheaper. Most dont realize what real dynoes are capable of. Its a hard decision which way to go. What are the price tag of what you guys are operating?
If all they want is a number, you can give them that also, just save the acceleration rate info in the customer/vehicle file so you will be the same if/when they make a later run.

Mike at Mustang can give you current prices on the MD-250,MD-1100 and MD-1750. Back in March of this year, when I bought the MD-250, they were right at $36,000. Started around 30K, but ended up at 36K with options that I got.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:08 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont dyno,MPH is my dyno but IMO a dynojet isnt as good as the Mustang IMO its better as u can simulate alot more things and tune via a set rpm using the mustang and u can make a 1/4 mile run too.

For the bragging rights,go dynojet...
Old 11-29-2004, 07:01 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dynojet will read higher. But, if Mustang comes in and calibrates the dyno, the results are much closer. Most folks just install the Mustang, and they are a bit on the low side.

That being said, in a recent back to back test on an Eddy current Mustang vs a Dynojet sitting right next to it.

447RWHP Mustang
470RWHP Dynojet

The eddy current is nice to tune on. The Dynojet is nice for bragging, and also to compare results, as thats what everyone else has. DynoDynamics also has a nice eddy current unit. It also reads about 10-20% below a 248C also.

The nice thing about DD is that the software will read a computer (via OBDII), and the same software works on an engine dyno. I saw it in Australia (VERY cool stuff)....

Last edited by J-Rod; 11-30-2004 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not sure we would have made any more money with a Dynojet. More and more we are getting tuning business from Customers who drove many miles, passing Dynojet shops to be tested or tuned on a load bearing chassis dyno. As the public continues to get more educated about dynos, this trend will continue. Possibly it comes down to this, do you want to be a parts seller or an engine tuner? Personnally I found it very difficult competing against Summit/Jegs on parts and getting paid enough for time consuming, bad fitting installations but much less competition and more profitable as a good dyno tuner. The Customer can always run down the street for a quick, inexpensive pull for bragging rights on a Dynojet - which of the two types of businesses would you rather have? EJ
Old 11-29-2004, 05:28 PM
TECH Junkie

That is very true. I shouldnt change my philosophy for my dyno decisions as I wouldnt for any other aspect of business.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by J-Rod
Dynojet will read higher. But, if Mustang comes in and calibrates the dyno, the results are much closer. Most folks just install the Mustang, and they are a bit on the low side.

That being said, in a recent back to back test on an Eddy current vs a Mustang sitting right next to it.

447RWHP Mustang
470RWHP Dynojet

The eddy current is nice to tune on. The Dynojet is nice for bragging, and also to compare results, as thats what everyone else has. DynoDynamics alos has a nice eddy current. It read about 10-20% below a 248C also.

The nice thing about DD is that the software will read a computer (via OBDII), and the smae software works on an engine dyno. I saw it in Australia (VERY cool stuff)....

Great post!
Old 11-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Hi Guys,
I happened to stumble on to this thread b/c someone printed it out here at work. So I thought I would chime in and say hello. It's great to see that our product is very well respected by the automotive community and you see the value of a loaded dyno over an inertia dyno. I would have to agree with dynocar in the thought that being a respected tuner is better than being a parts dealer. With the arrival of the internet and buying parts from wholesale companies online, there is almost no way to make a buck in aftermarket parts anymore.

The Dynojet Dyno is not a bad piece of equipment but it's just not as advanced as some of the equipment manufactured by other companies. Inertia dynos just do not offer the tuning capabilities needed to tune todays advanced engines.

The Dyno Dynamics is not a bad piece of equipment either. On the Subaru forums, I'll usually tell people if they can't find a Mustang, find a Dyno Dynamics. The DD reminds me of the units that we made about 10 years ago - so they seem to be on the same path that we were on. Very small rollers, the two rolls in the cradle aren't connected together, DOS based software. GREATWHITE, I'm not saying you are wrong, but I find it very hard to believe that you are able to put down 1500HP/1300FT-LB to the dyno through an 8 1/2" roller without having traction problems. The cradle roll style dynos have always been known to have traction issues because the tire to roller interface is so small. As for the software, they really push steady state tuning because as far as I know, they don't have the ability to do road load simulation yet. Steady state tuning is good if you have to create an entire fuel/timing map. But if you are doing basic tuning, the Road Load Simulation that the Mustang offers is very easy to use and allows you to "road tune" the car on the dyno.

Just so you know guys, I didn't chime in here to say who is better than who, but I just wanted to make you aware that we are here to answer any questions that you have about our dynos or any of the others. I've personally been on a Dynojet, Dyno Dynamics and of course a Mustang and they are all very different animals, but I definately see a big advantage to the Road Load Simulation that comes with the Mustang.

If you have any questions GrannySShifting, or any of the other members, feel free to give me a call.

Thanks,
Tim
Sales Engineer
Mustang Dynamometer
888-468-7826 ext. 211
Old 11-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

That is very true. I shouldnt change my philosophy for my dyno decisions as I wouldnt for any other aspect of business.
Where is your shop located? I personally think anything other then a Dynojet would be foolish, especially around these parts. Most people in this geographical marketplace are going for bragging rights and just another reason to talk smack. I agree, there are a lot who want to see how much performace they gained from changing certain parts, or want a dyno tune, but when Heffners' down the street has a Dynojet, or the other "import shop" that is local has a Dynojet, and a customer knows that either way they will see more power going with them, I think that will be the determining factor. I want to Dyno my truck just for the hell of it, to see what the difference is going to be between the 5.3 that's in it and the 6.0L that's on the floor here for it, and I'm going with a Dynojet. I mean who wants to take their almost stock car or truck to a Mustang Dyno and find out they are only making 225-275hp??? Not much to talk about there is it.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:51 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SloRice
Hi Guys,
I happened to stumble on to this thread b/c someone printed it out here at work. So I thought I would chime in and say hello. It's great to see that our product is very well respected by the automotive community and you see the value of a loaded dyno over an inertia dyno. I would have to agree with dynocar in the thought that being a respected tuner is better than being a parts dealer. With the arrival of the internet and buying parts from wholesale companies online, there is almost no way to make a buck in aftermarket parts anymore.

The Dynojet Dyno is not a bad piece of equipment but it's just not as advanced as some of the equipment manufactured by other companies. Inertia dynos just do not offer the tuning capabilities needed to tune todays advanced engines.

The Dyno Dynamics is not a bad piece of equipment either. On the Subaru forums, I'll usually tell people if they can't find a Mustang, find a Dyno Dynamics. The DD reminds me of the units that we made about 10 years ago - so they seem to be on the same path that we were on. Very small rollers, the two rolls in the cradle aren't connected together, DOS based software. GREATWHITE, I'm not saying you are wrong, but I find it very hard to believe that you are able to put down 1500HP/1300FT-LB to the dyno through an 8 1/2" roller without having traction problems. The cradle roll style dynos have always been known to have traction issues because the tire to roller interface is so small. As for the software, they really push steady state tuning because as far as I know, they don't have the ability to do road load simulation yet. Steady state tuning is good if you have to create an entire fuel/timing map. But if you are doing basic tuning, the Road Load Simulation that the Mustang offers is very easy to use and allows you to "road tune" the car on the dyno.

Just so you know guys, I didn't chime in here to say who is better than who, but I just wanted to make you aware that we are here to answer any questions that you have about our dynos or any of the others. I've personally been on a Dynojet, Dyno Dynamics and of course a Mustang and they are all very different animals, but I definately see a big advantage to the Road Load Simulation that comes with the Mustang.

If you have any questions GrannySShifting, or any of the other members, feel free to give me a call.

Thanks,
Tim
Sales Engineer
Mustang Dynamometer
888-468-7826 ext. 211

Thanks for chiming in Tim. To be fair about the Dyno Dynamics. I have seen one in Australia. I watched them dyno a Supercharged LS1 with no issues related to slip. I also believe if you watch this video you will notice a DD dyno in place.

http://www.exvitermini.com/

GTR-700 - Stage 3 - Outright drag specifications:

Current power: Greater than 1 Megawatt (~1,350 BHP) at over 3.0 Kg/cm2

Current weight: 1,345 Kg (~2,960 lbs) as raced with fuel and driver. Weight increase due to requisite safety equipment.

Best result: Best ET of 8.273 and best trap speed of 167.76 mph. Using only 10,500 rpm rev limit (estimated ~1,100 BHP)

*: Run done at estimated 66% power potential. Still much more to go, yet!

Engine redline: Exceeds 13,000 rpm (Stage 2 was 11,500rpm)

http://www.exvitermini.com/movies/meltice.mpg

Done at 2.0 Kg/cm2 of boost.
http://www.exvitermini.com/movies/power4.mpg

Also, my understanding is that DD runs some sort of load set.

In fact it was my understanding the Holden SRT team runs a 24HR enduro session on the DD dynos to simulate some of the races they do. This may have been on the engine dyno which uses the same software, but I do know they had the ability to vary load, etc... on the units I saw.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here in Sydney, we have about 50 DynoDynamics and only 1 Dynojet. lol

The shop I frequent uses an Eddie Current type “DynoLog” 4WD Chassis dyno and an engine dyno with the same software, both using OBDII connections for our PCM’s which is very handy to gauge such things as Coolant Temps, Injector Pulse Width, Oil Pressure, Ignition timing etc against the logged run as the PCM sees it.

Having said all that, a dyno when used for its intended purpose, (tuning) load holding dyno’s are far superior to non load holding dyno’s regardless of brand.

Also, from the Engine dyno to the chassis dyno with an M6 we generally see around 22% Drive train loss with and engine producing 500fwhp as a rule of thumb.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for your input Tim. Ill be calling you in the next coupe of days.

BADMOFO, right now I actually spend most of my time on Heffners dyno, or one of the other 5 Djets in the Maryland area doing tuning. While they have the shortcomings we all know about, when you know their limitations you can *usually* get a good shot at the tune. I usually clean them up on the street and at the track after getting off a DJet. Most dont compensate for the fact that its only an inertia load, and I get alot of cars tuned by other shops around here down on power or in danger because of too much timing or too lean. That effect is seriously aggrevated with the truck being heavier and less areadynamic. Ive tuned a few heavier vehicles on Djets, and beleive me they were pretty rich and not that aggressive with the timing when they were pulled off Real loads would be NICE, and I intend to offer that to the Glen Burnie area in the next couple months.

Looks like your on route to have a serious truck! I just worked over a Procharged 6.0 swapped 1500 truck not too long ago, came round here running 13.0 at 102 mph, and left with only 2 more pounds of boost and 12.2 at 114 blowing up the 4L60E. Turbo400 is in and looking to get back out before year end.

Quick Reply: Shop owners, load dyno users.. which dynos do you prefer?