Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

TSP 233/239 Stock Heads Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 09:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car doesn't have a ls6 intake or tuning yet correct? Does it have a pulley? There are alot of customers that have been very happy with the 233/239 camshaft results. I've even pulled out other camshafts & replaced them to test the gains Get the tune & intake on this thing & lets see how she comes around.

I think it may be a little early to act like it's the end of the world, several other guys have had really good results with the 233/239 cam
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 01-12-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gomer
Exactly, and then bitch about not making good numbers

People need to REALIZE that a cam, or some other major mod is not going to make **** for power or begin to be optimized unless you have a COMPLETE COMBINATION of parts. I have people PM me every day with essentially the same question "what cam do I need to buy to make xxxrwhp" 90% of those people don't have a lid, an under drive pulley, a cutout, a LS6 intake, or even damn headers. Please, please, please.. realize what you are trying to do and accept that you WILL have to complete the combo to attain your power goals
See my post above about the pulley/ported TB issue. Did I expect to make the same numbers as TSP, even though my car setup is the same (tuning aside) as what they posted for the dyno of the car that made 417/402? No. As a matter of fact, I think my HP numbers are pretty much where they should be with that cam and my setup. It's the TQ curve that baffles me. I bought this cam, as did many others, for the low and mid-range TQ that it had so much of. With my setup, I should be seeing more TQ with this cam. Others, with a more complete list of bolt-ons than myself, are seeing similar low TQ numbers. Why?

These are questions we need to ask. Here's a hypothetical situation: The Torquer, of course, is ground by Comp to TSP's specs. What if Comp mistakenly ground a batch of Torquer cams on a non-XER lobe? We who purchased the cams would install them, and see TQ numbers significantly lower than those posted by TSP. Now, I'm not trying to insinuate that this is what is happening here, but mistakes do happen, and if we are not here asking questions when we aren't seeing what we should, then these issues do not get addressed. For example, the first x-pipe I got with my TSP duals had no cross-over whatsoever. It was just two pipes welded together with no cutout in between them. I knew that this was not TSP's fault, since a third party makes the exhaust for them. I posted this on the boards here. Another board member took a look inside his x-pipe from TSP, and he had the exact same problem with his. Now, TSP took care of business, and 2nd day'ed us both new x-pipes, and this shows what a kick-*** operation TSP is. This also shows that mistakes do happen, and you have to keep an eye out and ask questions when things aren't right.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JOE02SS
hey guys this is my car with possible vacuum leak. 97bowtie i'm not trying to take over your thread, just looking for answers. nobody replied to my thread.

hopefully i can post a/f graph. i was told the a/f numbers look good but why are other graphs showing around 13.0 consistently?

my problem... within 30sec. on startup i'll get p0106 map code. (asr won't work) after driving for few minutes the code correctes itself. (the asr will work again) come to stop light the code comes up again. i'll clear the code and same thing happens. so far i can't find a leak, but of course it's a bitch getting back there.

is there a write-up on removing air system on 2002? i can't find one. i'm not sure if its called air system, but it's where the hoses connect to the header and intake

i also think tsp is a great vendor and hopefully this is just a small bump in the road.
thanks guys, please reply!
The search button saves the day once again! I did a search on the P0106 code, and it is commonly thrown (especially on an 02 car) upon installing a large cam due to intake port reversion at idle. The TCS/ASR issues, along with the stumbling/stalling are also symptoms of this, along with the code. This code can of course be deleted with HPTuner.

So, it seems rather unlikely that you have a vacuum leak, so I think it's time to start looking elsewhere for reasons for your low numbers.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
The car doesn't have a ls6 intake or tuning yet correct? Does it have a pulley? There are alot of customers that have been very happy with the 233/239 camshaft results. I've even pulled out other camshafts & replaced them to test the gains Get the tune & intake on this thing & lets see how she comes around.

I think it may be a little early to act like it's the end of the world, several other guys have had really good results with the 233/239 cam
I agree 100%. Please note that I have said the same thing numerous times. I didn't say the numbers were bad, but rather, right on for the mods I have.

The car does NOT have a LS6 intake, tune or a pulley. As I have said a few times, those few mods should be good for 20-25 rwhp and will put the car right about where it should be.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA

Jason, what was the full mod list on the car that dyno'd 417/402 with the Torquer? I am very curious to know why my car (along with several others) have dyno'd with such low TQ numbers for our setups.

Here's an unrelated question fer ya on an issue I wasn't clear about: I know that the ramp rates on the 233/239 are more agressive than the 231/237 it is based off of, but are they up to the XER specs of the Torquer?
Old 01-12-2005, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

Exactly, and then bitch about not making good numbers

People need to REALIZE that a cam, or some other major mod is not going to make **** for power or begin to be optimized unless you have a COMPLETE COMBINATION of parts. I have people PM me every day with essentially the same question "what cam do I need to buy to make xxxrwhp" 90% of those people don't have a lid, an under drive pulley, a cutout, a LS6 intake, or even damn headers. Please, please, please.. realize what you are trying to do and accept that you WILL have to complete the combo to attain your power goals
Ditto.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jrp
not particularly.

and was this done with a cutout?
I agree that tq curve sucks, with a lid/catback I made 341rwtq SAE and made more tq @ 3000rpm than him?? Somethings up, I think its too lean.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SDC
I agree that tq curve sucks, with a lid/catback I made 341rwtq SAE and made more tq @ 3000rpm than him?? Somethings up, I think its too lean.
Please, tell me something I don't already know. I too made more torque with bolt-ons than I did w/a cam. Yes it was too lean, hence needing a tune. Nothing is wrong w/the car. Sounds like a bunch of broken records in here. It seems as if most of you in here expected 400 rwhp / 400 rwtq from an untuned, cammed car, w/a few bolt-ons....not me. I'll be sure to wait until I have optimized my setup in the future before posting dyno/track numbers here because there seems to be a lack of reading comprehension skills and/or a general misunderstanding of how guys are rolling 400+ rwhp w/cammed cars.

Last edited by 97bowtie; 01-12-2005 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Teching In

cars with big cams are pulling this code p0106 manifold absolute pressure. not sure exactly whats causes this or what effects other than asr or tcs.

i'm going to delete the air system later today if i get a chance. what did you do with the small vacuum line that goes from that black round thing on driver side to the sensor or whatever it is on the fuel rail? did you just cap it? what is it, if you know?

i'm changing the exhaust today. when i bought the car it came with slp lt, slp cats, and flowmaster muffler. i'm removing cats and going back to the slp dual dual muffler which came with the car also. hopefully this will help numbers some what.

what are your numbers? anyother mods?
Old 01-12-2005, 11:47 AM
7 Second Club

Received 303 Likes on 203 Posts

Dude, those numbers suck! What a bunch of crap! You are a bit lean! False advertising! I hope your car burns in hell! BLAH BLAH BLAH! People are funny.

Numbers aren't bad for arizona and no tuning with your mods.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:53 AM
FormerVendor

I put the TSP233/239 in my car and it made 17 rear wheel over the X1 cam that I had before it and thats on a stock headed, LS1 manifold 98 automatic car. This thread shouldnt have been started until the car had been fully tuned, pre-judging a cam without a tune is like judging a book by its cover and it shouldnt be done. I encourage the fact that dyno results are being compared but comparing two cars without the same mods is not the way it should be done especially when it looks like it is aimed to discredit a reputable and honest vendor such as TSP...a tune alone can gain 20rwhp, and the fact that you have no ls6 intake should throw this thread right out the window
Old 01-12-2005, 11:55 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Brian @ Texas Speed & Performance's Avatar

If I'm not mistaken, the car that did 417RW had LS6 intake, headers, duals, lid, pulley, ported TB, dyno tune, and I believe that's it.

Guys, we have A LOT of people call and ask about cams. The main question they ask is if they will hit 400RW, to which I always say with FULL BOLT-ONS it's possible(M6). The car that's mentioned and others we've posted are FULL BOLT-ON cars. I also like to ask what they've baselined at before the cam, because obviously a car that baselines at 330RW is going to end up with different numbers than one that baselines at 350RW. There are quite a few guys that want me to guesstimate what RW they will put down when I don't even what they baselined. I usaully don't guesstimate, but I will tell them that the Torquer cam an AVERAGE puts down 44-48RW in a car. So whether or not you baseline at 330 or 345, you're going to see the same gains, unless your bottle-necking the setup by not installing all of the bolt-ons. An aftermarket induction lid will pick up 10 RWHP on a BONE STOCK car. How much do you think the stock induction is limiting a cammed car? By finishing out all of the bolt-on mods, the car will hit its 400+ RWHP. You just can't leave a handful of important bolt-on mods off of the car but expect the same power. Those smaller mods will add up quickly!

Brian
(806) 866-0734
Old 01-12-2005, 11:56 AM
7 Second Club

Received 303 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Master Chief
This thread shouldnt have been started until the car had been fully tuned, pre-judging a cam without a tune is like judging a book by its cover and it shouldnt be done. I encourage the fact that dyno results are being compared but comparing two cars without the same mods is not the way it should be done especially when it looks like it is aimed to discredit a reputable and honest vendor such as TSP...a tune alone can gain 20rwhp, and the fact that you have no ls6 intake should throw this thread right out the window
LMFAO! Holy **** I think I just about died over here.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

I put the TSP233/239 in my car and it made 17 rear wheel over the X1 cam that I had before it and thats on a stock headed, LS1 manifold 98 automatic car. This thread shouldnt have been started until the car had been fully tuned, pre-judging a cam without a tune is like judging a book by its cover and it shouldnt be done. I encourage the fact that dyno results are being compared but comparing two cars without the same mods is not the way it should be done especially when it looks like it is aimed to discredit a reputable and honest vendor such as TSP...a tune alone can gain 20rwhp, and the fact that you have no ls6 intake should throw this thread right out the window
The thread was started to give some preliminary numbers...it's everyone else who turned this thread into what it is. I have no doubt the car will roll 400+ w/the mods I have mentioned. I was not comparing my car to any other cars...including TSP's cars. I was in NO WAY trying to discredit TSP. They are a good company to deal with and as far as I can tell, they make a great product. If you think that, your reading comprehension skills are far below par. Read the whole thread before responding or direct your posts to those they should be directed to.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nic00Z28M6
LMFAO! Holy **** I think I just about died over here.
No ****. lol This thread has turned
Old 01-12-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's my dyno graph as a comparison to the other. STD numbers, not SAE:

Maybe I haven't been explaining myself as eloquently as I'd thought:

1.) I do not expect to duplicate TSP's numbers with my current setup.

2.) I'm happy with my HP. It is pretty much where I think it should be with my current setup.

3.) My TQ is lower than it should be with my current setup. The TQ curve is what I would expect to see with a cam with normal ramp rates, not XER lobes.

4.) This low TQ is displayed by every third party dyno of the Torquer and 233/239 I can find, to include tuned cars with most bolt-ons.

5.) I want to know where this "missing" TQ is. Perhaps it's a simple explanation, such as: "it's in the tune because of the XER lobes". Maybe it's a combination of factors. Maybe my flux capacitor is turned up too high...

6.) I am not saying that the Torquer or the 233/239 is a bad cam. I am not calling foul on TSP. They have been and continue to be my #1 source as far as my T/A is concerned, and are good guys and great to deal with!
Old 01-12-2005, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Silverhawk_02TA
Here's my dyno graph as a comparison to the other. STD numbers, not SAE:

Maybe I haven't been explaining myself as eloquently as I'd thought:

1.) I do not expect to duplicate TSP's numbers with my current setup.

2.) I'm happy with my HP. It is pretty much where I think it should be with my current setup.

3.) My TQ is lower than it should be with my current setup. The TQ curve is what I would expect to see with a cam with normal ramp rates, not XER lobes.

4.) This low TQ is displayed by every third party dyno of the Torquer and 233/239 I can find, to include tuned cars with most bolt-ons.

5.) I want to know where this "missing" TQ is. Perhaps it's a simple explanation, such as: "it's in the tune because of the XER lobes". Maybe it's a combination of factors. Maybe my flux capacitor is turned up too high...

6.) I am not saying that the Torquer or the 233/239 is a bad cam. I am not calling foul on TSP. They have been and continue to be my #1 source as far as my T/A is concerned, and are good guys and great to deal with!
Your A/F is fucked. Have it tuned. If it has already been tuned, take it back and make them do it right. I don't think you'll gain all the power you think you are missing by that.. but I will promise that if you'll add that pulley, lid, and ported TB you'll pick up a load.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Silverhawk_02TA
I had a Whisper lid that fit like *** and leaked like a ****. Tossed it and have yet to replace it. I think I'll go with a TSP lid, since I've seen a few and they look like they fit and seal fairly nice. I have no intention of ever doing a pulley. The minimal HP I'd pick up by underdriving all my accessories just isn't worth the cost. Similarly, the minor gains I'd see with a ported TB just aren't worth the cost, or the problems many people seem to have with them. One of these days when I'm feeling a little less lazy than usual I'll take my Dremel to my stocker and smooth it out a little. Oh, I did grind off the fastener ends on the TB shaft when I had it out to drill the hole. Does that count?
I can't belive you have the sack to be pissed about your numbers after making the above post with your brokedick UNTUNED combo Do you not realize that the reason you got "half assed" numbers is because you are doing this "half assed"??

Sometimes the level of stupidity on this board astounds me

Last edited by gomer; 01-12-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

I can't belive you have the sack to be pissed about your numbers after making the above post with your brokedick UNTUNED combo Do you know that you got "half assed" numbers because you are doing this "half assed"??

Sometimes the level of stupidity on this board astounds me
Old 01-12-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I encourage the fact that dyno results are being compared but comparing two cars without the same mods is not the way it should be done especially when it looks like it is aimed to discredit a reputable and honest vendor such as TSP...
I sincerely hope this statement is not aimed at me, as I have nothing but good things to say about TSP. As a matter of fact, I have yet to read anything negative about TSP at all in this tread...

the fact that you have no ls6 intake should throw this thread right out the window
I think that's a pretty ignorant statement. As 97bowtie stated, this thread was to post his preliminary numbers. We all know he needs an LS6 intake, a tune, etc. to start maximizing its power. I don't think anyone is saying "OMFG! Look at those numbers! The 233/239 sucks!" I am certainly not.

I do however think his TQ numbers are low FOR HIS CURRENT SETUP. I think my TQ numbers are low FOR MY CURRENT SETUP. This is a trend I've seen in all the Torquer and 233/239 results I've dug up. If I have to hazard a guess at this point I'd say that getting a GOOD tune will play the biggest role in bringing those TQ numbers up to where they should be. I think the stock tuning and so-so aftermarket tunes are not maximizing on the benifit the higher low duration lift of these aggressive ramp rate cams bring to the table.

Originally Posted by 97Bowtie
The thread was started to give some preliminary numbers...it's everyone else who turned this thread into what it is. I have no doubt the car will roll 400+ w/the mods I have mentioned. I was not comparing my car to any other cars...including TSP's cars. I was in NO WAY trying to discredit TSP. They are a good company to deal with and as far as I can tell, they make a great product. If you think that, your reading comprehension skills are far below par. Read the whole thread before responding or direct your posts to those they should be directed to.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Quick Reply: TSP 233/239 Stock Heads Dyno Results