Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

So California Dyno Shop, Must READ!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 02:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So California Dyno Shop, Must READ!!!

Ok, so this might be long, so just bare with me. First off, like I have in my specs this is what I just installed in my car:

2003 Z06 Cam, Springs, Retainers, Pushrods
Pace Setter Mid Tube Headers
2400 Stall Converter
New BUILT 4L60E Transmission
3.42 Motive Gears (Quiet as can be thank god)
295-35-18 Pirelli PZero Tires
Took off EGR, VATS, AIR, Rear O2's
No Cats

Now, when I first fired her up, it was just mean sounding. A little raspy but as I cruised around EVERYONE looked at the car. Idle was rough but I could tell overall I was making some good power. I searched here on the boards, mainly for a shop to tune the car. Luckily I ran into a thread regarding a shop in Oxnard.

I gave them a call, and Andy the owner answered the phone, and was very helpful with all of my questions. He told me he was running a special for the dyno tune, and it was $400. Now Oxnard is a 2 1/2 hour drive, at very high speeds I might add, but after my experience, believe me it was worth it. Let me go more in depth with the mission.

I arrived at the shop a little later then I wanted, but as I pulled in, I thought I was at a Chevy dealership. There were more vettes there then I've seen on alot of cruises. I couldnt believe how many 427 motors there were. Not to mention everything in there had a supercharger on it. Seeing all the custom Corvettes and the motors they were putting in was one of the most amazing things I have seen in awhile. The shop was absolutley awesome. VERY professional, but they made you feel like family. Yes I was sporting a car that created less then half the power of the Vettes, but they were very accomidating.

Now to the good part, My car dyno'ed about 20 HP untuned from the baseline I already had. Total we went up about 45hp/55tq. Great gains for me, especially since we didnt finish. On the second dyno run, coming down from 150mph we saw smoke come out, looked under the car and fluid was pouring out. We shut down the car, and I thought my motor was gone. (I thought to myself I shouldnt have signed the waiver form, I would have a 427 installed for free! Yeah right) anyways it turns out I blew off the tail shaft of my A4... Something NO one has seen the likes of. I will post the picture shortly, but I just couldnt believe it. My car made over 1000 RWHP, ok thats a lie, but some people probably believed it. Now back to the story... Andy took us for a ride to the tranny shop (Leons transmission shop, Oxnard, CA) and he couldnt believe that we ripped the tail shaft apart as well... unfortunately he couldnt get the part until the next morning, so we were forced to stay at the local Motel 6. Andy gave us a ride, and his wife picked us up the following morning. Got the tail shaft back on the car, but opted not to continue tuning the car until I get the stall converter balanced. The car surged from hitting the gas, even not in gear the car shakes when you hit the gas, the motor felt fine, so it had to start from the transmission, considering the flywheel and converter are hooked together, I'm sure the shop didnt balance the converter right, and thats whey the car is shaking, so thats the next adventure tomorrow.

Anyways bottom line (and this isnt a plug for a shop) is Andys shop was the best shop HANDS DOWN I have ever been to. He had tons of cars from all over the U.S. and I can tell you why. Another shop in the Montclair area tried to bad mouth him, but from my experience it can only be jealousy and envy. If you are in California (especially Southern) I wouldnt recommend ANY shop but his, you will get great service, and a family like atmosphere and REAL people, not some stuck up, non caring honda tuning punk kids.

I guess its best to say thanks to AandAcorvette and the employees and tell everyone here what a great experience I had. Also they are having a tuning special for $400. That includes all the dyno pulls. Which to me was WELL worth it. Also he isnt going to charge me to finish up the car, and will tune it again when I get the bugs worked out (Special thanks to Charlie).

non-sponsor contact info removed. It is okay to talk about non-sponsors on LS1TECH, but it is against site policy to provide contact information or solicit business unless they are a sponsor.

-Admin
Old 03-26-2005, 01:00 PM
12 Second Truck Club

great story, sounds like an awesome shop!
Old 03-26-2005, 04:20 PM
10 Second Club

Everyone on the Corvette boards know Andy rocks!!
Old 03-26-2005, 06:12 PM
Launching!

He's a very cool guy and does very good work. That's where I had my car tuned and is more than likely, where I'm gonna have the rest of the work for my car done. Did you see his 600hp Denali?
Old 03-26-2005, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Almost forgot to ask, what did your car dyno at?
Old 03-27-2005, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

automatic car and you locked the converter on the dyno right? Doesnt have mcuh gear in the car either does it. Ive seen that happen 3 or 4 times
Old 03-27-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got my car dyno tuned there about 3 weeks ago. I must say they did a great job, even though they were very busy. And the special on the tune makes them the cheapest tuner in So Cal that I know of. Every where else was way higher than even thier normal price. Good job A&A!
Old 03-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Revelation222
I got my car dyno tuned there about 3 weeks ago. I must say they did a great job, even though they were very busy. And the special on the tune makes them the cheapest tuner in So Cal that I know of. Every where else was way higher than even thier normal price. Good job A&A!

I have a nice set up 3.73's if your looking for them... like $75. Actually you'll have to switch out your carrier too...
Old 03-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Banned

Yeah with a shop like Andy's, they should always be busy. I didnt get my car fully tuned, but where it was at was 323rwhp/327tq, lots of fuel trims and curves that needed to be changed. Couldnt get the tune complete because of the tailshaft breaking. I took the car to the transmission/converter shop, they pulled the converter off of the motor, and low and behold the car didnt shake. He is standing behind his work, and is going to do all of the labor. Anyways there was violent shaking, as the converter wasnt properly balanced, once its balanced the car should be good to go, and I'll probably go back to Andy's to get the final tunes done on the car. LACR here I come on Wednesday.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2000TARiceKilla
I have a nice set up 3.73's if your looking for them... like $75. Actually you'll have to switch out your carrier too...
How much you think everything would cost me including swaping the carrier?