Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

42hp & 26 ft/lbs tq gain

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 42hp & 26 ft/lbs tq gain

The blue run is from a few months ago, with an air lid/catback.

The green run is last night, I added pacesetter LT's, ORY, and an LS6 manifold. I started the night with 335 hp & 342 ft/lbs tq and was able to squeeze out a few more hp for a final run of 351 hp & 355 tq (STD). Not too shabby...can't wait to get back to the track now that I have retuned it (was going 8.4 two weeks ago).

It also picked up 5hp with the MAF screen removed. And no the car was not allowed to cool between runs...no tricks, just straight up gain 5hp w/o the screen.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea this guy i met told me too take the screen out of my SLP MAS, he said it was a good "free mod"
Old 09-17-2005, 03:16 AM
TECH Regular

I was told that taking the MAF screen off wasnt a good idea and that it did nothing for the car as far as hp increase. Also that keeping it on it actually helped out with hp because it straightens the air flow ? I dunno.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:23 AM
Staging Lane

yea i dunno if you've ever heard of this but theres this thing you put on your intake called a "Tornando". its from those late night infomercials but it supposidly spins the air causing it to swirl in the intak better or sumthin... i dunno if they make em for fbodies or if theyre universal or wut but my friend with a s10 says he gets about 3-4 mpg more because of it...
Old 09-17-2005, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02_t/a_SOMetallica
yea i dunno if you've ever heard of this but theres this thing you put on your intake called a "Tornando". its from those late night infomercials but it supposidly spins the air causing it to swirl in the intak better or sumthin... i dunno if they make em for fbodies or if theyre universal or wut but my friend with a s10 says he gets about 3-4 mpg more because of it...

The "Tornado" guys and your buddy must be smoking the same stuff

Old 09-17-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

isn't the maf screen there for a reason? am i the only one who, upon inspection of the maf screen, found crap stuck to it? this crap would've otherwise been ingested by my car. the 5hp gain isn't worth the risk to me. just my .02
Old 09-17-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you do a search, there's actually a thread on here with proof from a consumer reports type organization that the "tornando" causes a loss in power and mpg and is not cost effective in anyway, sort of like the smooth bellows and TB bypass mods. Neither of these have any support that they actually do anything, If somone can show me otherwise, I would love to see it.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Joker
If you do a search, there's actually a thread on here with proof from a consumer reports type organization that the "tornando" causes a loss in power and mpg and is not cost effective in anyway, sort of like the smooth bellows and TB bypass mods. Neither of these have any support that they actually do anything, If somone can show me otherwise, I would love to see it.
Well one night, on a late night drunk I ordered the tornado,hehe damn alcohol. When I put it on and first drove around I coulda sworn that I could feel a bit of a gain. A few months later I had the car dynoed and found that the tornado was turned side ways in the throttle body blocking airflow. Upon removal i gained 25hp or I should say it was costing me 25 hp.......hehe I would not recomend.
-Andre
Old 09-17-2005, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by s346k
isn't the maf screen there for a reason? am i the only one who, upon inspection of the maf screen, found crap stuck to it? this crap would've otherwise been ingested by my car. the 5hp gain isn't worth the risk to me. just my .02
uhhh...fix your leaking air filter...If you have crap in the screen, it is getting through your air cleaner (or lack of)...

Removing the screen is a cheap way to lean your tune a little (on a stock PCM) If you already have a decent A/F ratio, you will probably pick up some KR....
Old 09-17-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by waSStock
uhhh...fix your leaking air filter...If you have crap in the screen, it is getting through your air cleaner (or lack of)...
Yeah I second that - before removing my MAF I have never picked anything off the screen...always been clean.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by s346k
Your MAF screen is not there to act as a second filter.

I have never had a problem with anything getting past my filter anyway, so I am not concerned with that.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:54 PM
Teching In

the maf screen shouldnt be removed my buddy tried it. failure