Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

406rwhp/390rwtq - PRC 2.5 heads/TR Cheater cam - stock manifolds/cats

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 11:37 AM
I can shift faster than you.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckWheat1
I'm confused. Patrick made 11 less HP than you did Jason but he had AFR heads, a tune and I would hope less leakage past the rings. Doesn't make sense to me. Am I missing something?
I'm not sure what you are missing. The heads obviously worked well with this particular combo. Our cars are practically identical, with the only major difference being the cylinder heads. I don't know what else to tell you. I baselined the car, installed the heads, and re-dynoed. There is no "trickery" with the dyno #s.

Two of the cylinders had 30-31% leakdown, while the other 6 had anywhere between 7-13%.

I'll be re-tuning the car Friday night and we'll see what is left in the tune. Maybe nothing or maybe a few.. we'll just have to see.

The set of heads I have are actually an older design done over a month ago. PRC has changed up a few things with the valvejob,etc. since then to help low-mid lift flow #s. When I go through the shortblock, I'll most likely send them in for the latest updates. So, if anything, the new PRC heads that are shipping now should be a better set of heads!

Jason

Last edited by Jason99T/A; 10-12-2005 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

- wow 131k miles, excellent to hear these cars respond well to mods with some mileage, mines gona be pretty high b4 i have enough $$ to open it up
Old 10-12-2005, 12:35 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You just can leave **** alone can you?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Damian
You just can leave **** alone can you?
What do you think??
Old 10-12-2005, 04:59 PM
FormerVendor

I'm confused. Patrick made 11 less HP than you did Jason but he had AFR heads, a tune and I would hope less leakage past the rings. Doesn't make sense to me. Am I missing something?
Actually that's probably about right if you compare the flow #'s that Jason's seen on Thunder's bench.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Tony "Morpheus" Mamo invites you to take the Blue Pill...welcome to the "real world"

I think Tony better stop peddling the "blue pill" becasue is looks like someone just **** one out
Old 10-12-2005, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

VERY impressive fellas. Pretty Much just made me decide on the PRC/TREX combo
Old 10-12-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverLS1
VERY impressive fellas. Pretty Much just made me decide on the PRC/TREX combo
keep your eyes open for those results
Old 10-13-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

As a business Thunder Racing is constantly being approached to handle products by manufacturers. PRC approached Jason about trying out a set of heads after Patrick had shown his results with our Cheater Cam. The heads that Jason got did look very good and flowed very well with evidence of lots of hand finishing having been done to them. Jason @ PRC knew exactly where this set of heads was going and the testing that was going to be done to them and the publicity that this test would generate. On the other hand the AFR heads that Patrick got were literally pulled off our shelf with NOTHING other than a .030" mill having been done to them. When Patrick's car was done no one at AFR knew anything about what we were up to until after the fact.

Am I saying Jason got a set of 'ringer' heads? No. But the point I am trying to get across is that we have have had extremely consistant results with AFR. I feel VERY confident every time we sell their heads, that the customer will get the power that they have spent their money for. As far as the PRC product goes, that particular set of heads did very well. Good job guys. I also know Jason @ PRC has instituted a whole host of QC measures in the manufacturing of their heads. I am just trying to caution people reading this to not jump to any dramatic conclusions that Brand 'A' is better than Brand 'B' based on a single test. The proof will be when other people try the Cheatr Cam with the same PRC heads and repeat these results.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:54 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree 100% with what Geoff is saying. Too many times we've seen companies make a one off cylinder head just to get good advertising. What we're doing differently is we work really hard to make sure every set of heads performs very well. We should be seeing additional results coming very soon. Every set of cylinder heads that we ship are completely flow tested & finished just like Jason's heads. Hopefully the next few sets that Thunder gets can be flow tested just like Jason's heads were. The best way to test a product is to send it to people that have seen alot of heads to compare them to! We've now made some additional tweaks to the head program that makes the current heads even better than Jason's set!!

Jason

Last edited by Jason 98 TA; 10-13-2005 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:05 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1itldo
Tony "Morpheus" Mamo invites you to take the Blue Pill...welcome to the "real world"

I think Tony better stop peddling the "blue pill" becasue is looks like someone just **** one out
Seems I'm the guy everybody loves to hate....LOL

While these results were obviously impressive, what would impress me more is Joe Blow racer buying a set six months from now and showing similar above average results (in whatever "combo" he might be running). Thats the part thats not as easy to do....trust me. Geoff @ Thunder obviously touched on that and a few other things to consider as well.

Also guys, don't forget that there are a handfull of AFR headed cars with stock manifolds and Z06 cams putting down over 400 RWHP, but none the less that takes nothing away from the results posted here.

Bottom line if PRC, or Dart, or anyone else for that matter can produce a cylinder head for a very attractive price that produces consistent above average results in a production environment than my hat is off to them. For the people constantly complaining about the cost of AFR heads I strongly suggest you take a look at one in person....examine the casting quality, the parts installed, and the quality of the CNC work and overall execution and then tell me if you feel its still "overpriced". I believe you might feel differently if you have that opportunity, and the performance results you guys have seen time and time again reinforces that the design approach we took in producing that head is solid.

There are plenty of LS engines out there and plenty of cylinder head choices as well. While the "blue pill" might not taste good to some, it tastes very good to others and I will continue to "peddle it" until it's expiration date which is a looooong way away.

Tony M.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Should I point out the "big pharma" price of those blue pills?

Stupid me. I bought the other "blue pill." My car's heads are only good for 4 hours at a time.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR

I strongly suggest you take a look at one in person....examine the casting quality, the parts installed, and the quality of the CNC work and overall execution and then tell me if you feel its still "overpriced". I believe you might feel differently if you have that opportunity, and the performance results you guys have seen time and time again reinforces that the design approach we took in producing that head is solid.

Tony M.
When I got my AFR's, they were so nice, I was afraid to put them on my car. I had just ruined a set of heads by missing a shift. About the same time the heads had to come off my girlfriends car, a Z/28 A4, so I had her put them on her car, LOL.

Through a twist of fate the heads ended up back on my car, the WS6 in my sig. She was upset at first, but now that she is .007 quicker than me, she is a happy camper...
Old 10-13-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what heads would be good with the torquer 2 cam?
Old 10-13-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
We've now made some additional tweaks to the head program that makes the current heads even better than Jason's set!!

Jason
Old 10-13-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd get the PRC's Rodney!
Old 10-13-2005, 10:35 PM
10 Second Club

Very nice jason..congrats on the results. Its fun testing "unknown" new stuff huh.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by 95 Formula
Very nice jason..congrats on the results. Its fun testing "unknown" new stuff huh.
Nikki need a set of heads?
Old 10-13-2005, 10:58 PM
10 Second Club

I was gonna do some of steves but he decided to go make some money turning up a plant..stingy bastard. I liked how they did on johns car.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

LOL Jason..... Just as Blake remembered...... I remember this.... "All I want the black car for is to drive around town. I am gona just do bolt ons." Glad to see some good numbers. For of the price of the PRC heads, why not go with em? Just like the decision for me to go patriots. For the price, I am willing to possibly sacrafice a few HP. Given my numbers, obviously I am not sacrificing anything just as you are not. Great job!

Oh yea, my clutch is getting so soft now its crazy We gotta get together to fix that problem

Quick Reply: 406rwhp/390rwtq - PRC 2.5 heads/TR Cheater cam - stock manifolds/cats