Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dissapointed in 408ci results!!!430rwhp WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 12:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

His mph puts him in the high 400 rwhp on a dynojet at least. Do the math guys, weight vs. mph.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 02-14-2006, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Done with the converter unlocked, timing was at 30degrees with no knock and dynoed with the mustang dynometer+ it was running rich. Not bad numbers though, could dyno better.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking

Originally Posted by marine02ss
If I got a "group rate" deal, I'd assume it would be the same quality tune at a discounted rate because there were a group of people. Who would have thought that you'd get a "half-assed" tune because HPE felt that's all you deserved after receiving a group rate.

That what I think also,but anyways I was speaking on my experience on saturday at HPE,if anybody has been treated good ,good to go.Dont get me wrong HPE has a great setup as a shop ,clean and have good working people there and stuff,but anyways I hope my car gets better as it goes.
i was there as well on saturday when these three cars from laredo were taken almost 6hours over to HPE to get tuned.....we did take all weight and drivetrain loss into consideration....but we were just surprised that there was no baseline result and then tweaked from there on...you know

chuck is a good guy...and so i scooter and the other guys from HPE....its just that every has there on and off days....discount or not your work should reflect upon yourself and the rep that proceeds your shop as a business...im pretty sure that if we lived in houston we couldve gone back and chuck would have done more....but the fact of the matter is that we live 6hours away in laredo,tx...but thats niether here nor there...the afr 205's do produce great results and i would recommend them anyday of the week, but when it comes to a big cube engine like the 408 that marine02ss has....im pretty sure some ET heads or some c5r's would work wonders.....i think marine02ss was gonna make his car a 6speed in the near future so that should take care of the tranny thing and some powerloss....but as tony mamo said the heads provide good streetability...man u all should hear the cam in that 408 ...it sounds like a popcorn machine....
Old 02-14-2006, 02:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did it get re-dynoed yet?
Old 02-14-2006, 05:00 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by marine02ss
First of,I'm not pissed at all or at Chuck in anyway lets get that clear.I think Chuck is a great tuner,I just commented why the low #'s I personally think it can be better.I didnt ask Chuck for a $300 dollar tune,I called him up I asked to get us deal on three cars,cool we agreed.Now if Chuck,knows he did a half *** job cause of the price,then let be in his concious.I have no problem paying the bills to get a great tune,but I assumed I was going to see a air/fuel meter thing,basline runs,then compare a before after thing.Try diffrent timing and fuel parameters etc.....If that was the best then alright,but it doesnt hurt to keep trying like Tony said.
If the case here is cause I didnt pay the extra money,**** I would have,but I didnt know.Tony hit right on the spot,about the 205's being alright for a 408,I talked to Tony several times on cylinder head choice,he said it will be allright.Im going to dyno this afternoon with wideband to see where its at,on a dyno jet and Ill lock the converter.Lets not turn this thread into hating thing,its for us to help each other out,if you dont want to help thats totally okay,expressing opinion its okay also.
I know I left alot on the table ,I dont have a pulley to start off,I never purchased a low temp thermostat,didnt port the fast intake and small heads.I just want better #s and any recommendation or experiences anybody has had.

My 408 put down 518@6200rpm. 265-275 .735-.715 @113. 12 Bolt, 3.73's, slicks, turbo 350 locked converter. 13.5 to 1 compression. Dynojet dyno. Don't let the cam fool you, it peaked 1000 rpm early. Shitty heads from my buddy "MINTY". The power isn't very far off, but tuning without a/f isn't worth any money to me! Driving 5 hrs and tuning without a/f ????? Bottom line you guys spent $900.00. How much time did it take? Good luck.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well it took us 6 hours going over there and from 11am to 7pm trying to get all the cars at their best....and then another 6hours driving back to laredo
Old 02-14-2006, 05:13 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Then you have MR. 5XXhp 408...."wow those numbers suck" meanwhile hes running AFR 225s and is a stick
And id love to see the specs on the 402 and the tuning files as well.Theres a big diff between a tune thats setup for good streetability and a full days tune to make it perfect which from what was said about the changes made obviously alot of time was spent perfecting this tune.
"Welcome to the internet where everybody is a mechanic and owns a 10 sec car!"Its absolutely amazing some of these post.The only people who made sense were don,chuck,and tony who werent biased and who didnt base their comments on their $.02.The numbers where were they should have been,had he spent the day tuning the numbers would have improved...but the track doesnt lie.Dont race dyno's
1.What good is it for me to send you the files. Do you know how to tune? But put your email and Ill send them.

2. 402 = Forged crank,rods, pistons and arp holding it together. Heads = AFR 225's out of the box. Cam = Texas Giant 112 Go to tsp for the specs. Intake and TB = Fast port match to the AFR 225's. Headers = Kooks long tubes race style with high flow collectors.

3. Driveline = Spec 3F,M6,PRO 5.0,Dennys drive shaft,MOSER 9' WITH 4.11'S

RWHP 521 SAE corrected = On a dyno jet. Im listed on Dynojets website in case you need proof. Dont hesitate to PM me for my shop #.

I am part of a shop and build my own as well as other cars that have ran 10's. Ford and Chevys. Can provide videos if you them them. Im not a sponsor so I dont need to break the rules on here to please you. I offered my .02 to the guy. Thats it. And another thing. I would never let my tuner get away with the 1/2 *** tune even if it was on a GP. Thats wrong. I just finished a LS2 in a Vette with the TSP LS2 402 and got 523 out of it. And 700 RWHP on the TNT kit last night.I feel like you singled me out on your reply so this is the only reason I replied back into the thread. Since I had allready had a argument with Chuck.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Veteran

This is exactly how shops begin their downward spiral OUT OF BUSINESS. Especially backing up their horrible service with unfuckinbelievable comments on open forums. I guess you got their money so who cares, right?

If someone told me they would tune my car for $100, I still expect it to be done as perfectly as that tuners' ability will allow. Hell, I'll tune everyones car on this site for $5, I'll get a couple thousand cars in, make a bundle, and cars will be exploding the next day. But "hey, I didn't say it would be perfect at that cost people." Thats some funny **** man.

If "marine02ss" doesn't get a new engine out of this or a FULL refund I would hope this site takes some kind of action, or at least the members should. I know HPE will be scratched off my list of possible shops to deal with.

WOW = this story
Old 02-14-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

This one's done.
PM me if you have any legit comments to add.