Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

03 Cobra dyno numbers BS or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alans02z
+1. And for that matter, ANYTHING with 19 psi of boost and a shot of spray had better run really damn good, much less have a 10 second timeslip. Good lord, how many guys on this forum have 1 power adder cars in the 9's or faster? A Cobra with 2 and the mod motor running 10's is quick, but not very impressive. There is alot of cars with alot less power kicking your ***. You can talk about weight, displacement, roll racing, blah blah blah, either way, its happening on the track.

So why not just tell us what your car is running in the 1/4? I would be willing to bet you running at least a 10.20 with you trapping over 105 in the 1/8th statement.
1. Weight is a big factor in any type of racing. PERIOD. Take two cars that are almost identical in hp/tq and put a 4-500 pound handi-cap on one and the lighter car will almost always out accelerate the heavier car.

2. Displacement has nothing to do with this arguement. No one brought it up except for the ignorant ***** who need to can their ****. Displacement means nothing when you have a positive DISPLACEMENT blower. So the people saying add a blower blah and 281 vs 346 blah, can that **** too.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Avalanche
Comparing the Cobra with the F-Bodies is apples and oranges. The Mach 1 is more in our range. I like my WS6 but the Cobra is best left to compete with Z06s. A solid axle cobra is a nightmare, when ever I pull up to an 03/04 Cobra my savior is wheel spin and maybe letting him snap a drive shaft off the line. F' racin them from a roll.
Nah they're not that bad.. Vcious04 only pulls me by a fender at the top of 4TH and he has 50rwhp more than me..
Old 03-23-2006, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ws6togo
Thats pretty quick time for the blue oval guys. However, I ran 12.99 on stocks too and I dont use any BOOST
Now let the GM guys throw on a little ATI power and lets run 'em

Old 03-24-2006, 07:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
1. Weight is a big factor in any type of racing. PERIOD. Take two cars that are almost identical in hp/tq and put a 4-500 pound handi-cap on one and the lighter car will almost always out accelerate the heavier car.

2. Displacement has nothing to do with this arguement. No one brought it up except for the ignorant ***** who need to can their ****. Displacement means nothing when you have a positive DISPLACEMENT blower. So the people saying add a blower blah and 281 vs 346 blah, can that **** too.
1. No kidding. BUT Cobra people buy the cars knowing that. Then when they loose, they bring it up.

2. I am just saying what I have heard. I am not as stupid as my post count says I am. I have more than been around this ****.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mellowyellow
Nah they're not that bad.. Vcious04 only pulls me by a fender at the top of 4TH and he has 50rwhp more than me..
Yep, it's not easy to pull a heavily modded ls1 with 4.10's. Mellows car is fast, 4:10's are a great gear. Mellow's top of 4th is my top of 3rd, so I just starting to get some traction and pulling.

50HP BUT I'm making about 100rwtq more.. Try putting that to the ground without roasting the tires at 40mph. We we roll race, I'm starting in 2nd gear about 3000rpm and instantly go to 6 grand, shift early into 3rd and by the top of 3rd I am just starting to hook.

With Cobra's or ANY high HP, having a crap load or power is useless if it's not put to the pavement properly. I am currently working on a full setup, solid axle, 4.10's, alumistar's, suspension, ported blower, fuel setup.. etc etc... Got a daily beater now so it's mod time. Then I can see what it will run.

Last edited by Vcious04; 03-24-2006 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats why me and my car are going on a diet. No more mcflurries from mcdonalds.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by unit213
Let's just say that I trap more in the 1/8th than you do in the 1/4.
HaHa I dont care who you are thats some funny **** right there!

Nice Unit!
Old 03-24-2006, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Well said chief, coming from a hardcore F-body guy.

Sometimes you have to step back and be a car enthusiast and not try to compare **** size and my chevy is faster than your ford, or vise versa.

Both cars bring or can bring a lot to the table, and are unique in there own way.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:53 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Avalanche
Comparing the Cobra with the F-Bodies is apples and oranges. The Mach 1 is more in our range. I like my WS6 but the Cobra is best left to compete with Z06s. A solid axle cobra is a nightmare, when ever I pull up to an 03/04 Cobra my savior is wheel spin and maybe letting him snap a drive shaft off the line. F' racin them from a roll.
I have heard that -100 lbs. = -.1th in the 1/4 So if the average cobra is 4-500 lbs. heavier than an avg. F-body, then wouldnt that hurt a lot of thier power advantages. Yes it is easier to get much more HP out of a cobra than an LS1 but if you put up your average H/C 450rwhp F-bod against a Cobra with a pully pushing 525 rwhp, to say they arent in the same league I think is a little silly. In the end its about traction, weight and 1/4 #'s. Try checking out the bolt-on only record list fhttps://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444688 Some of those cars are running low 11's at 3600lb race wt. then tell me F-bodies arent in the same league.

Last edited by 01bird58; 03-24-2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:09 AM
LS1 Tech Administrator

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

You would be a fool not to respect a pent-roof designed 4 valve motor running a positive displacement blower. That is about the ultimate in street power and reliability. The problems with the Cobras are the same problems with the LS1 F-bodies...the factory made a badass motor and surrounded it with a mediocre chassis. With proper mods, the chassis can perform like superstars, but not necessarily in stock form.

Bottom line, pay respect to the Cobras because you might look stupid if you get your *** handed to you by one of them.

2013 Corvette Grand Sport A6 LME forged 416, Greg Good ported TFS 255 LS3 heads, 222/242 .629"/.604" 121LSA Pat G blower cam, ARH 1 7/8" headers, ESC Novi 1500 Supercharger w/8 rib direct drive conversion, 747rwhp/709rwtq on 93 octane, 801rwhp/735rwtq on race fuel, 10.1 @ 147.25mph 1/4 mile, 174.7mph Half Mile.
2016 Corvette Z51 M7 Magnuson Heartbeat 2300 supercharger, TSP LT headers, Pat G tuned, 667rwhp, 662rwtq, 191mph TX Mile.
2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L, A6, AFR 230v2 heads. 506rwhp/442rwtq. 11.413 @ 121.29mph 1/4 mile, 168.7mph TX Mile
2000 Pewter Ram Air Trans Am M6 heads/cam 508 rwhp/445 rwtq SAE, 183.092 TX Mile
2022 Cadillac Escalade 6.2L A10 S&B CAI, Corsa catback.
2023 Corvette 3LT Z51 soon to be modified.
Custom LSX tuning in person or via email press here.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angry You Got To Be Kidding

Originally Posted by s346k
the only cobras that come off like dyno queens have guys that can't drive them.

put a small stalled automatic and solid rear axle in a "dyno queen" cobra and wave bye bye, because it will eat your lunch from start to finish, hands down.

it's VERY hard to get 500+rwhp out of an n/a ls1, let alone have it last very long. those cobra bottom ends will last forever @ "only" 500 rwhp...all they need to shine is a stalled auto and solid axle...and SLICKS!
How can you say its hard to get 500hp out a n/a ls1??? I almost when i read that Ok look compaired to a cobra yes its super charged fordge block and so on One mean b!@#$ My uncle with his trans am 99 model has made over 530 n/a to the wheels and give me a day or so i will post the dyno And he did this with stock cubes a big cam and a home built block and ported heads he runs 93 on the street tune and 108 on the race tune the car made 488 on the street tune and race put down 538 at 7,200 rpm tourq i cant remeber but give me time and i will show you
Old 03-24-2006, 10:39 AM
12 Second Club

Gona go a little off topic and prolly get ripped, but isnt a TRUE musclecar supposed to come out of the factory N/A and not need the help of FI to make great power. I dont recall any late 60's musclecars using a SC. And just me, but I dont like hearing a high pitched wine at WOT. I think Ford saw how good the design of the LS1 was and needed to throw on a SC to catch up to them. Do Cobras make badass power and times - yes; am I cautious of them on the street - yes; do I have as much respect for them as F-bodies - NO.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Talking Word

Originally Posted by 01bird58
Gona go a little off topic and prolly get ripped, but isnt a TRUE musclecar supposed to come out of the factory N/A and not need the help of FI to make great power. I dont recall any late 60's musclecars using a SC. And just me, but I dont like hearing a high pitched wine at WOT. I think Ford saw how good the design of the LS1 was and needed to throw on a SC to catch up to them. Do Cobras make badass power and times - yes; am I cautious of them on the street - yes; do I have as much respect for them as F-bodies - NO.
Hands down !!!! But in all i love muscle cars cant beat them But dam!!! lets get togather and eat some rice
Old 03-24-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Exactly, I agree with you and I dunno if you were refering to my post or not but I was responding to the people who were saying "well if you add a S/C to an LS1 then it would be a different story!" True but GM didnt go that route and ford did so its water under the bridge.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Patrick G
You would be a fool not to respect a pent-roof designed 4 valve motor running a positive displacement blower. That is about the ultimate in street power and reliability. The problems with the Cobras are the same problems with the LS1 F-bodies...the factory made a badass motor and surrounded it with a mediocre chassis. With proper mods, the chassis can perform like superstars, but not necessarily in stock form.

Bottom line, pay respect to the Cobras because you might look stupid if you get your *** handed to you by one of them.

This man speaks wisdom. This has to be one of the most intelligent and well thought out post thus far. Well said Patrick
Old 03-24-2006, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Off topic or not no matter how you cut it N/A or power adder, i dont believe the Mustang, Cobra, or anything else that derives from a mustang has been inducted as a "Muscle Car."
Old 03-24-2006, 12:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mcduffys
Off topic or not no matter how you cut it N/A or power adder, i dont believe the Mustang, Cobra, or anything else that derives from a mustang has been inducted as a "Muscle Car."
Not sure exactly what your saying? Do you mean that your not considering any type of Mustang as a "Muscle Car" and if so at what point did this happen b/c the Mustang is one of the originators of the name "Muscle Car"
Old 03-24-2006, 12:27 PM
Teching In

I think if you ask almost anyone who would want or has a 03/04 Cobra if they would rather have a N/A 5.4L than the sc 4.6L, they would all pick the sc 4.6L
Old 03-24-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are trying to run with 03/04 Cobras you better come correct. And yes, you better have more than a cold air lid and smooth belows to keep up.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

uhhh, sure, I guess that makes my car a family hauler

They have the mach1 which is N/A and runs just as good as LS1's (well not quite as good, but very close). You people with your n/a arguments are being very, well, I'll let you decide the word.

Signed yours truely,
The proud family sedan man!

Quick Reply: 03 Cobra dyno numbers BS or not?