Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

What exactly is a dyno queen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 317indy
In there lies the problem...They are totally diffrent classes... IRS vs. Solid Axle (Not to mention gear setups for 1/4 mile racing)... 6 Speed vs Auto... Weight vs Weight... Drag suspension vs Stock Suspension...
Which is EXACTLY what would make a car a dyno queen.

The point of that car isn't to go fast at the track, the point of THAT car is to brag about dyno numbers.

If it was built to go fast, it wouldn't have a stock suspension, etc.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by silverTA2002
Which is EXACTLY what would make a car a dyno queen.

The point of that car isn't to go fast at the track, the point of THAT car is to brag about dyno numbers.

If it was built to go fast, it wouldn't have a stock suspension, etc.
thats what i was getting at, not setup to race what so ever, but make huge numbers and then manage to spin it down the track and get half decent numbers.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:06 AM
Teching In

In there lies the problem...They are totally diffrent classes... IRS vs. Solid Axle (Not to mention gear setups for 1/4 mile racing)... 6 Speed vs Auto... Weight vs Weight... Drag suspension vs Stock Suspension...

You have this whole idea on point my friend.

Supra's being 'dyno queen's' are a bandwagon trend, and only the ignorant choose to say this without having any idea what they are talking about.

I've seen SNOWMOBILE's with 300-400hp do single digits all day long at the track. Does this mean that a 300whp LT1 is complete junk because it can't get into the 12's? No, it is apples to oranges.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blown04Z06
the above dyno graph is the example of a dyno queen, expensive to make the power that it does, the tranny's on those supras run 10k+, your looking at a 80k dyno queen, it isnt driven in the rain, sits on the back of a trailor pulled by a truck so people can rub a nut out on it like they were in a circle jerk. LPE cars are the best examples of dyno queen's, 150k car that you will never see on the streets and very rarely at any track. unless its a special event or promo type thing.
my friends supra made 900 whp and isdriven daily on a 42r
Old 05-21-2006, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

the way i see it is a dyno queen makes a ton of power but cant get it to the ground and get good et's doesnt matter if its an auto/manual, rear end, suspension because if your making even 400rwhp you should have setup the rest of the car to handle that kind of power, i mean **** there are 340rwhp camaros running low 11's with the stock cam
Old 06-04-2006, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hennytime
the way i see it is a dyno queen makes a ton of power but cant get it to the ground and get good et's doesnt matter if its an auto/manual, rear end, suspension because if your making even 400rwhp you should have setup the rest of the car to handle that kind of power, i mean **** there are 340rwhp camaros running low 11's with the stock cam
Exactly.

If someone mentions dyno numbers with a short belt, open headers, light weight rear wheels (not used for racing) and a huge cam on stock 10 bolt and stock or small converter is a dyno queen. I don't know of any A4 dyno queens mostly are 6spd's with drivers who can't drive. Not judging, just seems to be that way.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:50 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
http://www.wotm.com/rywo98qu.html

Eh, so it's a dyno queen with nearly 1400rwhp and a powerband of 7k-9k, but in a 3500lbs Supra it pulls an 8.6x@170.

id luv a ride in that biatch
Old 06-04-2006, 07:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
Don't forget the cars with the dyno-only tune that will detonate the motor apart on the street.
That's what I consider a dyno queen Also these FI cars that make a high dyno pull but could never run that setup on the street due to detination.

Now,Supra's are fast but believe me, If/when my own car makes 1400hp it will run alot faster than high 8's
Old 06-08-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Regular

I agree that a car with tons of power and not made to put it to the ground is a dyno queen. Supras are the most infamous for this, but also Cobra guys do this a lot too, atleast in my area. Because of the ease of modability and to make good power. But a lot of them go stright for the power and worry about the hooking up later on. I mean ive seen guys with KB Cobras making 600rwhp+ and still running stock tires. Now tell me thats not just a nice big waste of power.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hennytime
not trying to steal the thread or anything but ive seen 800rwhp camaros running similar times...
Not unless it's a borderline race car, and not a god damn chance an 800 RWHP camaro is going to pull down 172 MPH traps.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my definition of a dyno queen would be an 800 hp supra
Old 06-21-2006, 11:17 PM
317indy

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
my definition of a dyno queen would be an 800 hp supra

Okay well I have a friend that has 800rwhp in his 6 Speed stock suspension Supra that runs 9's. I want to see you run 9's in a six speed, as well as a stock suspension. Oh, and do all that and then take it to a road course and race it...We will see who has the better rounded car...

People really need to get off the Supra's are DynoQueens bandwagon. I used to feel the exact same way. Then I realized that I was being a close minded Domestic loving Import hating bigot.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Okay well I have a friend that has 800rwhp in his 6 Speed stock suspension Supra that runs 9's. I want to see you run 9's in a six speed, as well as a stock suspension. Oh, and do all that and then take it to a road course and race it...We will see who has the better rounded car...

People really need to get off the Supra's are DynoQueens bandwagon. I used to feel the exact same way. Then I realized that I was being a close minded Domestic loving Import hating bigot.
did your therapist make you come home and type that?

sorry man but supra's are the most common of being a dyno queen and top speed racers.

3 summers ago i had a 600whp supra owner that i slaughtered in my 297whp Supercharged S2000 on the track, a road course. i had 700kg spings on the front and 550kg on the rear, it took me 2 months of driving it on the street and auto-x to dial in the suspension in my garage using jacks and 3 alignments before i had it nailed down. my car was set up for road racing with a little extra power from the vortech supercharger. after beating him up brutely 20 laps, 4 sessions 8 hours later, he has the nerve to call me out in front of everyone while i was minding my own business packing up to head home.... "lets take it to the highway" "ill run you too 200 mph". what a douche bag. most of these guys have small **** syndrome and he was a perfect example. small **** douche bag.

import or domestic it doesnt matter dyno queen is what it is.

a friend of mine builds his own civic turbo race cars. his civic puts down 880whp, traps 7.4 in the 1/8th mile. he has all kinds of tuning problems, waste gate wont stay open, ridiculous **** all of the time. but he can brag his civic puts down 880 whp(when its running) i give him props for building the motor, tranny, tubular turbo header, piping all of it himself. at least he didnt out source like kenny tran did(whoops did i say that out loud) picking on another supra race car that ran 8.x @ 181mph
Old 06-22-2006, 05:03 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is comical. Deep down inside we are ALL dyno queens. We all know that the more power you put down on the dyno means the more potential YOUR car could have when it comes to getting the desired result YOU want. Remember I said what YOU want. To knock someone for wanting high dyno #'s and not taking the car to the track is just silly. What someone else does with their money is there business. When you put up the money they have invested in their car and pay for them to go to the track then technically you can start criticizing. Until you pay that persons bills then criticizing them about what they do after they spend their money is silly.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

You sound like you should sell that Fbody in your sig and get a Supra instead.

You seem happy to claim this and that and then say well it's still stock this and that compared to a Fbody or different.

OK well take a Corvette then, it has IRS and a 6 speed manual and given the same rwhp number will generally be faster.

A narrow power band is indicative of a VERY highly tuned small(er) displacement engine. The Supra needs to run at almost double the state of tune as a Corvette does to match it's bhp/lb ft but that means more and more rpms are required which results in a ever higher power band.

2.0 4 cylinder engines are the same, sure Evo's can make impressive PEAK numbers but just take a look at how narrow the power band is and how high it is in the rpms. Remove the weight and 4wd advantage and they simply don't make as much power as much of the time.

Also you mention road courses, well since when has the Supra been king of any road course except in races where Supra's are the only car compeating?

I'm not dissing the Supra it's a technical marvel that performs well and if you stand far enough away from it, even looks half decent. But it is not the ultimate and never will be.

Not all supra's are dyno queens and many other cars can be included such as some LS1's if that's how they are setup. But it doesn't change the fact behind the physics.

If you want to look at it another way take 2 indentical cars (car 'x' and car 'y') but one runs a more radical and OTT setup. And so dyno's far higher numbers, however it's a total pig to drive and due to the setup makes it easy to bog down or be caught out of the power band and when it is in its power band it just becomes almost undrivable.

So even though it makes more power than the other car, 95% of the time on the street, strip or circuit it is no faster and maybe even slower than the identical car with less power. This would certainly qualify as a dyno queen.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been told by many shops that my LS1 is not a dyno queen because it is an automatic. And my dyno graphs are inaccurate as well. Running 7.3s in the 1/8 with a 1.57 60", I KNOW I have more than 357hp as the dyno sheet told me. More like mid-400s! Not sure about manuals.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:26 AM
317indy

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
You sound like you should sell that Fbody in your sig and get a Supra instead.

You seem happy to claim this and that and then say well it's still stock this and that compared to a Fbody or different.

OK well take a Corvette then, it has IRS and a 6 speed manual and given the same rwhp number will generally be faster.

A narrow power band is indicative of a VERY highly tuned small(er) displacement engine. The Supra needs to run at almost double the state of tune as a Corvette does to match it's bhp/lb ft but that means more and more rpms are required which results in a ever higher power band.

2.0 4 cylinder engines are the same, sure Evo's can make impressive PEAK numbers but just take a look at how narrow the power band is and how high it is in the rpms. Remove the weight and 4wd advantage and they simply don't make as much power as much of the time.

Also you mention road courses, well since when has the Supra been king of any road course except in races where Supra's are the only car compeating?

I'm not dissing the Supra it's a technical marvel that performs well and if you stand far enough away from it, even looks half decent. But it is not the ultimate and never will be.

Not all supra's are dyno queens and many other cars can be included such as some LS1's if that's how they are setup. But it doesn't change the fact behind the physics.

If you want to look at it another way take 2 indentical cars (car 'x' and car 'y') but one runs a more radical and OTT setup. And so dyno's far higher numbers, however it's a total pig to drive and due to the setup makes it easy to bog down or be caught out of the power band and when it is in its power band it just becomes almost undrivable.

So even though it makes more power than the other car, 95% of the time on the street, strip or circuit it is no faster and maybe even slower than the identical car with less power. This would certainly qualify as a dyno queen.

I actually had plans on buying a Supra this week...But those plans were negated when I found out my friends Supra had been stolen and crashed...
Old 06-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Banned

I live in the land of rice and supa dupras. I've seen 600 rwhp supras not be able to put it down with modified suspensions. Great on a dyno but no traction. Hence dyno queen..
They are nice cars, not knocking it, has great potential to make unheard of power, but traction is another thing. I know, I'm fighting it at 440 rwhp.
So take your sensitive supra whine elsewhere.. I love these "my friend has this" guys.
And yes most supra dupra owners will tell you the same thing. If they could hook up, get traction.. yada yada yada
People probably pick on the supra more because its easier to get to that level of no traction. Forged internals from the factory gives you a head start.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Banned

I've been to the dyno with the big supras and talked to many an owner and racer with one. They turn them up for the dyno, and down for the track. Dyno is for show. And tuning if your using a mustang dyno.

Quick Reply: What exactly is a dyno queen?