Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Are Dyno's hard on the motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scottHMT
Well, maybe i just have crappy dyno operators, because I have hadd cars that ran well on the street and blew headgaskets on the dyno. One of which was my nitrous LS1 =[. Im going to say a dyno is harder on a car than on the street, due low airflow, even if the dyno shop has a fan. It simply cannot recreate the force of air coming through the radiator when the car is in motion.
Okay - what you're talking about here is heat right?

So the engine doesn't get the same cooling it would if you were actually traveling at speed.

It's a 10 second run. 10 Seconds! Does my Eugine hit 300* sitting still on the dyno? Uh... no.

After a dozen passes my engine temps were 240*...

And I still wasn't seeing any knock retard, or detonation...

I don't know how many times i can say this, but engines are designed to bear loads, they're designed to operate in low and high temperatures, and they're designed to run at WOT... there are IDEAL and Less Ideal conditions for all of the above. But a Dyno pass is simply another type of PERFECTLY safe way to operate your engine!

If you never run your engine, it will last forever, and you'll never blow it up... Any time you're running your engine, you're creating wear... heat, friction, stress, etc... But these are all things the engine is designed to deal with...

A 10-15 second dyno pass is no more stressful than running through the gears on the freeway... If it blew up on the dyno - it's a safe bet it was going to blow up on the street...

-Dan
Old 10-10-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ive had at least 60 pulls and no problems.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My current motor has less than 1000 miles. I made 14 pulls with the first heads cam package on the dyno and 15 with the new heads cam package. That's 29 pulls in less 1000 miles. Temps never went above 190* even with almost back to back pulls. Pull, adjust AF, flash and pull. Talking 3 minutes in between runs tops. Hell even my tranny temps were 147-153 with a locked verter on the pulls.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Launching!

a 10 to 15 second run without adequite cooling is all it could take to blow a engine up. Especially a FI or nitrous'd engine. NA i doubt you'd have nearly as many difficulties. What I am saying is that there is equal if not more stress on a dyno.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Oh god... another one...

a 10 to 15 second run without adequite cooling is all it could take to blow a engine up.
I presume you're going to expand on that for all of us? What exactly is "Adequate Cooling"? Because I'd really like to see how this "Adequate Cooling" is effecting my engine.

Last time I ran a dyno, i had a big huge fan blowing on the car. Now, it's nowhere near as much air blowing by, but my engine temperatures weren't magically higher. In fact, for some reason, my engine still ran at the same temperature on the dyno as it does on the street! But how is that possible?

So my intake got some warmer air and i lost some HP, that happens every time the some comes out... not a big deal. And yeah - It'll get pretty hot if you make back to back pulls... but even after LITERALLY a dozen back to back pulls i made trying to diagnose a problem, i only lost about 15-20hp from breathing in hot air... and my engine temperatures were WELL within the bounds of safe.

So, tell us, what "Adequate Cooling" would you suggest? I wonder if the industry of Automotive tuners and professionals are aware that their dyno's are unsafe, and they're putting lots of unnecessary wear on Engines from "Inadequate Cooling"

Especially a FI or nitrous'd engine.
You don't genuinely believe that a couple pulls on a dyno gets a N2O or FI engine to a higher temperature, or an unsafe temperature than it would during a drag race, or road race... If it does - you're engine needs a better coolant system...

NA i doubt you'd have nearly as many difficulties.
Why would you think that? You don't think NA engines get hot?

What I am saying is that there is equal if not more stress on a dyno.
What I am saying is that is crap. I'll say it again. It's simply another perfectly safe way to operate an engine. It's been around for a long time, it'll continue to be around, and it's no more or less likely to blow up your engine than any other kind of WOT driving...

If your engine overheats and blows up on a dyno from breathing HOT AIR or from Baking in high temperatures. You better pray you live in Canada, because otherwise, the next summer day you floor it, things are going to grenade...

-Dan
Old 10-11-2007, 01:27 PM

You guys are crazy. Dyno pulls are not any harder on your car. They will not blow your car up.

Chew on this:

Millions of cars get put on the dyno EVERY YEAR. You know what for? Emissions testing! Ever see how they do it? They put your car on a dyno, put a LOAD on your engine, and floor it and run your car up through the RPMS. They instead of getting horsepower readings, they get emissions readings through your RPM range. This is done at full throttle, and under light throttle to ensure that your car is running properly.

Average cars are put through this stress test all the time, every year, constantly. People's cars aren't blowing up during emissions testing. And yes, these dynos operate in the same manner as the ones at your local speed shop.

Also, if you take a look at ANY car manufacturing operation, they dyno cars before they leave the factory. Yes, thats right, your car has likely been put on the dyno already. If this was really SO bad for your car, you think that GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, VW, etc, etc, etc would be doing it? I don't think so.

I even ran my car on a dyno with over 275,000 miles on the 24 year old motor. Ran it through 3 dyno pulls, and now the motor has over 300,000 on it. Didn't do a damn thing to it.

Dynos are not hard on your car, don't fall victim to the bullcrap.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Okay you're right.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Willem @ Fuel Injection Concepts
Sort of False.. While you can monitor everything easier and all, for higher hp cars the majority will be roasting the tires on the street. On the dyno when you've got a ballast on the rear tires keeping them sticking to the rollers and not spinning you are putting more load on the car than the street ever will.

Get what I'm saying?
Well yeah if the car isnt getting traction.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Launching!

although I doubt you made back to back pulls in 90 degree heat spraying 100shot nitrous after driving a hour in traffic to get to the dyno.. I would have no worries running a stock or lightly modded car back to back. But IMO I wouldn't put my car through that type of stress.

Last edited by scottHMT; 10-11-2007 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, maybe i just have crappy dyno operators, because I have hadd cars that ran well on the street and blew headgaskets on the dyno. One of which was my nitrous LS1 =[. Im going to say a dyno is harder on a car than on the street, due low airflow, even if the dyno shop has a fan. It simply cannot recreate the force of air coming through the radiator when the car is in motion.
bwahahahahaha
Old 10-11-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Everytime my car has ben on a dyno it had a giant fan with an AC unit in it blowing very cold air right into my engine bay and into my intake lid. I dont know where this mysterious overheating is coming from.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Maybe I should bring my own ac cooled fan next time.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Maybe I should bring my own ac cooled fan next time.
Maybe you should find a dyno operator that uses at least some kind of fan, it won't hurt your car to run w/o one. But you'll pickup some HP from cooler air, and if you're making back to back passes, it will definately help...

Saying a dyno is harmful on your engine because when someone makes back to back to back passes to redline with no fan and 100 shot of nitrous is as twisted as saying "Reving your engine is bad for it, because i bounced mine off the rev limiter for 20 hours and it grenaded..."

I mean, be serious... you can't blame extreme **** like that on the dyno...

-Dan
Old 10-11-2007, 05:34 PM

although I doubt you made back to back pulls in 90 degree heat spraying 100shot nitrous after driving a hour in traffic to get to the dyno.. I would have no worries running a stock or lightly modded car back to back. But IMO I wouldn't put my car through that type of stress.
Nope, I drove 2 hours in the heat, beating the **** out of the throttle the whole way, to put it on a dyno, in a hot shop, make 3 dyno pulls, then drive it two hours back in the blistering heat, with a considerable load on my car the whole way. Yes, that is one sentence.

So you ran a 100 shot of nitrous on your car, and think it's the fault of the dyno? You know what puts stress on an engine? Nitrous! That puts direct stress on the internals of the engine. Absolutely more stressful than a dyno.

Also, If your water temps got high enough to warp your head and blow a gasket, your dyno operator probably should have been watching the temp gauge. Again, not the fault of the dyno, but the fault of mis-operated equipment.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

We have cars here at the shop with OVER 100 dyno pulls on them...STEADY STATE tuning, WOT and they are FINE!

Anyone who breaks a car on a dyno, was about to break it on the street.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Teching In

would you blame the pavement for breaking your car as its going down the 1/4mile? if not then you can't blame the dyno for breaking your motor.

your engine is what produces the load. a dyno simply resists the load your motor is putting out. so NO a dyno can not hurt your motor anymore than the pavement can.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Just run it. Have compitent people dyno your car and don't include horseplay. No more can go wrong on a dyno than can on the street. My WS6 has been run on dynos probably 30+ times and has over 100k miles on it and not a single problem has occurred.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

The Dyno is a big diagnostic tool. That's what ive always thought
Old 10-12-2007, 06:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving your modded car without a dyno tune is harmful...

Quick Reply: Are Dyno's hard on the motor