Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dynojet vs dyno dynamics

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dynojet vs dyno dynamics

Does anybody know how much I might be putting down on a dynojet if I out down 500rwph and 480rwtq on a dyno dynamic?
Old 12-14-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoGamesLS1
Does anybody know how much I might be putting down on a dynojet if I out down 500rwph and 480rwtq on a dyno dynamic?
How about a little insight to your setup??? What engine, heads, cam specs, exhaust, etc, etc, etc. What are you running to put down that kind of TQ, a 408 maybe???
Old 12-14-2006, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

How will listing my setup help answer the question Its a sub 400 CID
Old 12-15-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

You could be like the millions of BS kings on here that say they have 500 rwhp and really don't even have close to 400 rwhp. Considering you are sub 400 cid I do find it a bit hard to believe that you are making 480 rwtq. With that being said your setup helps me make an educated guess as to what your setup should make vs what it is making.

If you had a 408 making 525 rwhp 500 rwtq at least I would know that we are in the ball park for dynojet numbers.

Maybe someone else can help. I am not familiar with dyno dynamic.

Let me go look it up.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

From what I could find in 30 seconds of looking, it appears that "dyno dynamic" is some software that does pretty much what the G-Tech system does. Good luck on the dynojet run. Curious myself to see how the numbers differ. I like the G-Tech unit, it does a good job recording 1/4 mile times, 0-60 etc etc.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Don't think you found what he was talking about. Dyno Dynamics makes actual chassis dynos - one of the shops here in town as an AWD dyno by them. http://www.dyno.com.au/

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
From what I could find in 30 seconds of looking, it appears that "dyno dynamic" is some software that does pretty much what the G-Tech system does. Good luck on the dynojet run. Curious myself to see how the numbers differ. I like the G-Tech unit, it does a good job recording 1/4 mile times, 0-60 etc etc.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Eddiep
Don't think you found what he was talking about. Dyno Dynamics makes actual chassis dynos - one of the shops here in town as an AWD dyno by them. http://www.dyno.com.au/
Well I am glad you found something, I really had no idea. +1 to you bro for the link.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:11 PM
9 Second Club

If you are referring to Keith's dyno up in sac, its pretty close to a dynojet since he recalibrated it to be within dynojet numbers.

Why dont you tell us about your setup, im guessing stock shortblock, cam with a ATI procharger? either way its nothing so special you need to be that secretive about it, if its only 500 rwhp.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nickn20
If you are referring to Keith's dyno up in sac, its pretty close to a dynojet since he recalibrated it to be within dynojet numbers.

Should be a law against that.

Why dont you tell us about your setup, im guessing stock shortblock, cam with a ATI procharger? either way its nothing so special you need to be that secretive about it, if its only 500 rwhp.

He is simply asking what the difference is between the two different brands of dynos, what does set-up have to do with it?
Old 12-15-2006, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

I've asked this before myself and got no real good answer here. I did however dyno about dead even between a Dyno-mite Dyno and on a Dyno Jet. it was +/- 4hp on the same setup and tune. I thought they were more like Mustang dynos but unless it is loaded (you can run water through them as a brake) then it is basically the same from what I can tell.

This is the dyno I'm referring to http://www.land-and-sea.com/
Old 12-15-2006, 07:53 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by dynocar
He is simply asking what the difference is between the two different brands of dynos, what does set-up have to do with it?
And I answered his question, I knows these cars extremely well, I would be able to tell if his power is realistic from his mods, that is why.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:29 PM

Its about the same as a Mustang dyno. The Dyno dynamics dynos will be about 12-17% lower than a dynojet. Heres a snipe from a different thread here:

Dyno Dynamics Dynos use small 8 or 10 inch rollers; unlike the big roller inertia dynos. The tires get very hot on these dynos also as the front roller has a knerled surface for traction. Once the tires get so hot the surface of the tire actualy gets slick to the touch. There is a lot of tire deflection at 157 mph. Not a whole lot of tire making contact at that point anymore. Most dynos use an inductive pick-up for a Tach signal. I just did not use it for this car. Also the numbers registered on these dynos tend to read from 12% - 17% lower than the Dynojet dynos (depending on the model)so many people are used to seeing.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:57 AM
TECH Resident

And I answered his question, I knows these cars extremely well, I would be able to tell if his power is realistic from his mods, that is why.
OK This gives me a reason to show what I have. Its not a matter of being secretive, but more a matter of me just not wanting to list everything. But heres what Ive got
393 CID 3.905 bore 4.1 stroke
243/249 .613/.619 110.5 LSA
Stage II Absolute Speed 5.3 heads
12.5:1 SCR
36lb injectors
MSD coil packs
Granatelli wires
UD crank pulley
Fast 90/NW 90
SLP 85mm maf
Kooks 1 7/8 lts w/3in true duals "x" pipe
Yella Terra RR
Aluminum flywheel

The 500rwhp and 480 rwtq was with stage I livernois ls6 heads 11:1 SRC and a steel flywheel

Thanks Nick
Old 12-16-2006, 05:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Quote, "If you are referring to Keith's dyno up in sac, its pretty close to a dynojet since he recalibrated it to be within dynojet numbers."

No wonder there is so much confusion about dyno numbers. It is pretty well understood that the DJs are inflated compared to other brands, then this happens. I know guys that are talking Mustang numbers and marking them up to DJ's numbers when the dyno operator has already done it, and then some. Why would anyone pay so much more for a high quality load control dyno, then mis-calibrate it? Makes one wonder what else these shops, umm, better stop there.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

Ya I was sorta thinking the same as you dynocar. Keith is a piece of work in my book, I'll never go back there, but for other reasons
Old 12-16-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

..... its pretty close to a dynojet since he recalibrated it to be within dynojet numbers.
NOT "recalibrated" but MISCALIBRATED!!!!
Old 12-16-2006, 09:44 PM
9 Second Club

Quote, "If you are referring to Keith's dyno up in sac, its pretty close to a dynojet since he recalibrated it to be within dynojet numbers."

No wonder there is so much confusion about dyno numbers. It is pretty well understood that the DJs are inflated compared to other brands, then this happens. I know guys that are talking Mustang numbers and marking them up to DJ's numbers when the dyno operator has already done it, and then some. Why would anyone pay so much more for a high quality load control dyno, then mis-calibrate it? Makes one wonder what else these shops, umm, better stop there.

I don't know about being inflated, the numbers always seem to match up with the ET and mph cars run, no other dyno really seems to work for that, but who really cares regardless, its about relativity, when tuning or making changes to a car.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know about being inflated, the numbers always seem to match up with the ET and mph cars run, no other dyno really seems to work for that, but who really cares regardless, its about relativity, when tuning or making changes to a car.

HP vs MPH calculators never used to read like that, until a few of them got "recalibrated" for DJs. Keep in mind, we were using chassis dynos for RPM sweep testing long before DJ came along. I cut my teeth on Sun and Clayton brands. But getting back to our main subject, the difference between two bands of dynos. Now that most of us know what to expect from DJs vs other brands, it sure screws things up even worse when someone decides to miscalibrate their non DJ.

Last edited by dynocar; 12-16-2006 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:41 AM
9 Second Club

Now that most of us know what to expect from DJs vs other brands, it sure screws things up even worse when someone decides to miscalibrate their non DJ.
True...
Old 12-20-2006, 12:19 AM
FormerVendor

The Dyno Dynamics dyno is approx. 12-14% off from what most DynoJets read. Bottom line is that comparing dyno numbers between different dynos is a never ending debate. Dynos are only good for baselining and measuring +/-'s from there. We baseline every car we modify. If the car comes in making 300 and leaves making 440, it increased its power by 140. The Dyno Dynamics dyno is a true tuners dyno. It measures torque with an actual torque load sensor vs. the DJ which calculates torque by measure speed, rate of speed vs. a known weight (the drum).

We have dyno'ed a ton of bone stock cars which we all know have a "range" of rear wheel readings that we have been able to "offset" with the 12-14 % and lock the dyno at that reading. We haven't touched it since we bought the dyno. A bone stock C6 will make 345-355 RWHP and we see them in that range at the 12.5%. Again what's important is that it leaves with more!

Quick Reply: Dynojet vs dyno dynamics