Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

442hp/406ftlbs on a 383?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fact is that the cam is not the limiting factor, the heads are. But a cam swap is easier and he's got two smaller cams just stiting around. You can run a huge cam because you have higher flowing heads and almost 20 more cubic inches, not to mention you have a larger bore which unshrouds the valves and helps the heads flow even better, and an awesome intake that will give your heads as much air as they could ever possibly want up top.

He has a 3.9 inch bore, restrictive intake and restrictive heads, so he needs a smaller camshaft then you do. It's all about the combination, and there is no need to take shots at people for having slow cars, I gotta pay rent and the internet bill so that I can get help figuring out how to go faster without getting evicted.

AJ
Old 03-31-2007, 08:58 PM
Teching In

ONEBADWS6, Im not spitting in your face or anything. I understand what your saying and do appriciate your input. I am going to do a leakdown to make sure, I just really don't feel thats where the problem is. If I had the cash I would love to keep the big cam and throw some nice big heads on it and make gobs more power but like AJ said I have a couple cams sitting around and it only takes me about and hour and a half to swap 'em. So at this point if I can end up with a nicely matched setup for relatively no cost thats what I have to do. Then if it works I know that my next big buy is a new set of heads.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRed99Z28
The fact is that the cam is not the limiting factor, the heads are. But a cam swap is easier and he's got two smaller cams just stiting around. You can run a huge cam because you have higher flowing heads and almost 20 more cubic inches, not to mention you have a larger bore which unshrouds the valves and helps the heads flow even better, and an awesome intake that will give your heads as much air as they could ever possibly want up top.

He has a 3.9 inch bore, restrictive intake and restrictive heads, so he needs a smaller camshaft then you do. It's all about the combination, and there is no need to take shots at people for having slow cars, I gotta pay rent and the internet bill so that I can get help figuring out how to go faster without getting evicted.

AJ
Good call man, I agree! Also, if you're still running those YT rockers, I'd check them out and make sure they arent holding you back either.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:24 AM
Teching In

I actually took the YT's off awhile ago because of excessive valvetrain noise I forgot to mention that. So that's been checked
Old 04-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Mechanically there's a problem. Sure the TB is opening all the way?

Also, for those who think the cam is the problem, I disagree. Too big of a cam will still produce the peak numbers if nothing else. Also, the FAST 90 is a restriction, so you overcam it to overcome it on a bigger cube engine. You don't approach a FAST 90 on a bigger cube engine the same way you do on a 346. Sure, going to a optimal IVC and then going past has diminishing returns, but the intake needs a crutch, and thus it needs a higher IVC. Higher IVC = needs more compression.

Mill the heads and check to see if there's a problem. It should be at 480 without any trouble in its current form.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:10 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Mechanically there's a problem. Sure the TB is opening all the way?

Also, for those who think the cam is the problem, I disagree. Too big of a cam will still produce the peak numbers if nothing else. Also, the FAST 90 is a restriction, so you overcam it to overcome it on a bigger cube engine. You don't approach a FAST 90 on a bigger cube engine the same way you do on a 346. Sure, going to a optimal IVC and then going past has diminishing returns, but the intake needs a crutch, and thus it needs a higher IVC. Higher IVC = needs more compression.

Mill the heads and check to see if there's a problem. It should be at 480 without any trouble in its current form.

Thank you!! Because Trex and Magic stick, G5X4 none of those make killer cam only #'s? Your heads may be the problem, they may be worse than stock heads, wouldn't be the first time I seen ported ones that where. Or you may just need some guides replaced. The cam is not the problem.