Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

dyno diffs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyno diffs.

I've heard and read of a mustang dyno, and I've dynoed my car on a dynojet. What's the differences if any between the two? It seems there are some discrepancies and maybe one gets higher #'s. Are there others?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I am not mistaken, the dynojets show higher (more precise) numbers.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

dyno jets are less accurate they have a 2400lb? drum where as true load bearing dynos can create a close to true street load.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by joshua022
If I am not mistaken, the dynojets show higher (more precise) numbers.
You couldn't be more mistaken.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You cannot fool newtons laws.... for that reason inertia is always the most accurate. Load bearing depends on who calibrated it and what the calibrator is most interested in letting you see.

this is coming from someone who has a load bearing dynojet.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alvin@pcmforless.com
You cannot fool newtons laws.... for that reason inertia is always the most accurate. Load bearing depends on who calibrated it and what the calibrator is most interested in letting you see.

this is coming from someone who has a load bearing dynojet.
Not true. An inertia dyno still has a polar moment of inertia given to it by a human. The weather stations are also calibrated by a human.

It was Mark Dobeck (founder of Dyno Jet) that calibrated the "fudge factor" into their software. That fact is taken from his interview in the March 2006 of Hot Rod mag.

I find a properly calibrated Mustang, Super Flow, Dynomite much more realistic than Dyno Jet.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats not true as the owner/operator cannot change the moment of inertia calcations or settings. they are fixed inside the software. Also, the weather stations have a real way of gut checkign.. and that is comparing it against the real weather station.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alvin@pcmforless.com
Thats not true as the owner/operator cannot change the moment of inertia calcations or settings. they are fixed inside the software. Also, the weather stations have a real way of gut checkign.. and that is comparing it against the real weather station.

Some of the low-end dynamometer software, Winpep, locks out the end user. You said Inertia Dyno's, not Winpep. Most of the higher end dyno software manufacturers give the ability to spot check/adjust calibration on any of the channels, or sensors being used.

As far as owner/operators fudging their calibrations, well thats just stupid on their part. How do you explain to your customer why his 500hp car just got pulled on the top end by a 400hp car...lol. I can't imagine them staying in business too long.