Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

MS4 Cam only dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
WTF??? Without locking it mechanically, its gonna slip. Dont know what you mean there.

Unless you turned the solenoid off, its gonna lock on its own, and if you run it from a high enough speed it wont downshift, and wont kick the lockup off.
I run cars everyday. That run looks locked. Whether you're manually locking it or not, by the rpm it looks high enough to be locked automatically, and stay locked.
Furthermore, theres no hump in the torque band which would be there with an unlocked stall.
Does it really matter if it was locked or not? He already said the solenoid was disabled, and on the first run on the dyno, the operator stopped right after he hit the gas cause it locked up and he though it shifted gears. Doward then disabled lockup and the operator didn't have a problem after that. It's apparent by my runs last night with stock gears and street tires that I'm making more power than shown on the dyno. The dyno was only used for fine tuning, and I thought you'd guys would like to see another ms4 cam only dyno since there isn't a whole lot of them. But I guess people would rather comment on how much my power sucks instead of just using it as a comparison .

Btw, there was another SS there last night. He was also full bolt ons and running a smaller cam. He was around the mid to low 13's at about 108mph. He was having traction issues, but the mph show how bad a night it actually was. I run again in feb. and get some 11's for you guys on street tires.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
WTF??? Without locking it mechanically, its gonna slip. Dont know what you mean there.
Originally Posted by Doward
Wrong. No hydraulic fluid coupling provides 100% transfer without a mechanical lockup.
You said the same thing I did. The torque converter is a hydraulic fluid coupling. There is always slippage, unless the torque converter is locked. This slippage accounts for the difference in drivetrain loss between an automatic and a manual.

Here's a link for you to check out: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm

Without the lockup solenoid, the pump ALWAYS spins faster than the turbine - hence, slippage and waste of torque (and horsepower, since hp = (torque * rpm) / 5252
Old 10-18-2007, 12:04 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen ALOT of dyno runs and that looks locked..Tq is almost in all cases higher with an unlocked verter,it spikes and then drops like a rock

Sorry bro I agree with Edcmat on this one...

Car ran very well though
Old 10-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Can't argue with the laws of physics Though people always try It did run very well - I can't wait to get it out there in February and see what it really does with nice weather!
Old 10-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JS
I've seen ALOT of dyno runs and that looks locked..Tq is almost in all cases higher with an unlocked verter,it spikes and then drops like a rock

Sorry bro I agree with Edcmat on this one...

Car ran very well though
It could be unlocked. Car has a 3400 in it; it looks like the operator kinda rolled into it and started sampling around 3700 then was WOT around 4k (well after stall speed).

I've done this on cars that I was scared were making too much power on a stock tranny or whatever as opposed to just nailing it up on the converter and getting the nice torque spike like alot of people do unlocked.

This guys dyno graph is actually a pretty short "window" compared to most posted here. His numbers sound right too because without the flash, you dont get the torque (in fact you get very low torque).
Old 10-18-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Most Tuners Turn Off Wot Lockup Until A Very High Mph Or Just Completly Turn It Off

That Being Said Most Converters Cant Lockup At Wot That Well

Havent Checked A Stock Tune But I Wouldent Think Anyone Would Let A Stall Lockup At Wot

Unless Its A Converter Spefically Built For That Abuse Its Definately Overly Abusive For The Converter
Old 10-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jpr5690
Most Tuners Turn Off Wot Lockup Until A Very High Mph Or Just Completly Turn It Off

Havent Checked A Stock Tune But I Wouldent Think Anyone Would Let A Stall Lockup At Wot

Unless Its A Converter Spefically Built For That Abuse Its Definately Overly Abusive For The Converter

It's been my experience that the lockup gets busted when trying to shift while locked up... the car doesn't lock up between shifts - it locks up around 5500 in 2nd gear, unlocks, shifts to 3rd, and locks back up around 4500 (unlocking again if he were to ever shift into 4th under WOT - aka 155+)

He's telling me the converter IS built for lockup under WOT. Eh, it's his car, I just push the buttons

SSP - That's exactly what happened. Rolled into it (Kevin on the dyno made a comment that the 4l60e wouldn't be lasting long with the car, either, lol - personally, I'm more worried about repeated 1.9x 60's on street tires grenading the 10 bolt!)
Old 10-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jpr5690

Correct, there isn't any stock tune that i've ever seen that locks it up at WOT in these cars. It is something that can be carefully written into the TCC v MPH tables if you have a converter that is up to the task. Alot of aftermarket converters are built with bigger, more aggressive lockup clutches for this purpose.

Otherwise lockup is reserved for cruise fuel economy. Tech II's and most tuning/scanning software (or even a toggle switch or button) can manually lock it up which is what people do on a dyno to better "stabilize" the numbers or help compare to a six-speed curve.

I think the other posters may have been misreading "lockup" as like the stall point maybe?
Old 10-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Doward
It's been my experience that the lockup gets busted when trying to shift while locked up... the car doesn't lock up between shifts - it locks up around 5500 in 2nd gear, unlocks, shifts to 3rd, and locks back up around 4500 (unlocking again if he were to ever shift into 4th under WOT - aka 155+)
Yep that's how we would do those, the timing of all of that is critical. Other wise, I would just have it come on at the top of 3rd for the highway guys.

I did have a guy build me a converter for a turbo Buick that I would lock at the top of 2nd and leave locked. The 2-3 shift would about break your neck.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

nice numbers
Old 10-18-2007, 04:29 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It still looks locked but I agree it could be a slow rolling into the throttle type run
When u do that the line doesnt get so skewed or drop like a rock,I could be mistaken.

Its all good the car ran well
Keep at it
Old 10-18-2007, 10:18 PM
Teching In

SSP, so far so good with the lockup timing. I think I've got it pretty well (I've got tons of experience tuning OBD-1 systems, but OBD-2 is new for me. And I really can't stand the HP tuners program, but eh - you play the cards in your hand )

I must admit that the OBD-2 system in these cars is pretty nice. I honestly would never have though I could get a 111 LSA cam idling that smooth!
Old 10-18-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL at top of 3rd. That would be useless for me. Top of third gear is like 120mph, lol.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just an update to this thread for anyone searching. I no longer have the car, but I did learn that the ls6 intake was leaking while I did these dyno runs. After I fixed that I also added 3.73 gears and Nitto DR's. Best mph was 115mph in about 75 degree weather. Backed that up a few times with other 115mph runs. In warmer weather she'd be consistant 113-114 mph at around 12.0x's.

Quick Reply: MS4 Cam only dyno numbers