Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

TrickFlows NEW "As Cast" LSX Cylinder Head... A/B Results INSIDE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We sell Yella Terra Ultra Lites for 399.00

ANY cylinder head running bronze guides SHOULD be running true roller rockers although most manufacturers dont tell you this.

I guess the term "budget" can be twisted when you are paying almost 2 grand for cylinder heads... BUT they are 400.00 cheaper than the CNC heads and show almost 40rwhp gain OVER an LS6 head. That would be 55 PLUS over an LS1 casting cylinder head.
Lets also not forget the thicker deck surface of aftermarket heads, the 13.5* valve angle of the TFS heads, thicker rocker bosses, consistent results of aftermarket heads Vs true budget heads... The list goes on and on

I guess some of you are right.... I wouldnt call these heads "budget" heads.. I wouldnt call any TrickFlow/AFR head a budget head. I would call these a superior option for a QUALITY cylinder head for under 2000.00
Old 12-11-2007, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Well explained.

I was looking into the AFR's, but I think these will be an option that I will have to look into as well.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

And the benefit to TFS, of course, is less time and fewer cuts required when porting these castings. Overall, one might hope that those savings can now be passed on to the consumer in terms of lower pricing across the board.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

may aswell just spend the extra $400 and get the cnc heads.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

+1. Specially these are the top of the line or one of them. I just wish I got them for this price.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The new "As cast" TFS heads do have a fully CNC ported chamber as well as a CNC bowl blend. So there is some porting, just not full CNC porting, and they will probably not gain much with traditional hand porting, at least not in the .300"-.500" range which is what makes the power.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:43 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm a little confused. One post stated that these can be bolted on right out of the box. But another post says that they need to have a valve job done and cleaned etc. So is that raising the cost out of pocket to the consumer?

Also what is the combustion chamber size? Just trying to get an idea of weather or not they need to be decked for better compression.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

How about some pics and flow numbers then guys?

Alchemist: I think the comment was just that raw castings needed valve jobs and cleaning up. I think the assembled "as cast" heads from tfs have had this already done. Im sure Brian will correct me if Im wrong.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I'm a little confused. One post stated that these can be bolted on right out of the box. But another post says that they need to have a valve job done and cleaned etc. So is that raising the cost out of pocket to the consumer?

Also what is the combustion chamber size? Just trying to get an idea of weather or not they need to be decked for better compression.
The assembled price on this "LS1" head is $1899 without milling, and this includes the castings with seats and guides, guides CNC sized, chambers CNC ported, bowls CNC blended, 2.04 and 1.575 competition multiangle valve job, Max pressure springs, Titanium retainers, Comp machined locks, and Ferrea valves.

The head that was tested was milled, so it carries the extra cost for that operation.

The components are identical to the current TFS 215's, and the CNC chamber is identical to the current TFS 215's so the chamber is 64cc, the CNC bowl blend is practically identical to the TFS 215 bowl blend as well.

There is also a "LS2" head that sports the same as cast ports, except it has the TFS 225 CNC chamber, 2.055"/1.575" valves and valve job made for a 4.00" bore. The intake port volume is 220cc on both heads.

Hope this helps, and I can try to get some pics and flow numbers up.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:49 PM

Would the unmilled ones keep the compression ratio at the stock level? That might be a good way to go for anyone considering boost on the stock bottom end. Plus, $1900 plus the $400 rockers ($100 cheaper than I thought they'd be) puts the price at $2300 which is getting into the lower end of the aftermarket scale.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Brian,

I would like to see a flow chart of these heads to compare to the fully cnc'd 215cc...

Thanks man
Old 12-14-2007, 05:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm surprised this post went 3 days with no response...

Can we see a comparison flow sheet to the fully cnc'd head?

Thanks
Old 12-14-2007, 08:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

How about an A-B comparison between the as-cast version and the 215cc ported version with minimal differences?
Old 12-14-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the more information that comes out, the more these heads seem like a reasonable option for people who are looking to save a few hundred bucks. Those are some major power improvements over LS6 heads, so I can't wait to see some real numbers over stock LS1 heads. Any word on a project like this happening yet?
Old 12-14-2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Those are some major power improvements over LS6 heads, so I can't wait to see some real numbers over stock LS1 heads. Any word on a project like this happening yet?
I would think that the same setup on an LS1 car would be in the 470 range also. The baseline would just be lower.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
I would think that the same setup on an LS1 car would be in the 470 range also. The baseline would just be lower.
I know, I just meant I want to see a comparison like this one using LS1 heads with no other changes done.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Launching!

These heads are a good option for people. Some people will stick with ported gm heads and that is fine. These heads will have room to grow later with porting work as to where the gm heads will not.

As far people talking about the rockers. Yes it is extra money that has to be spent. Yes the factory rockers are excellent pieces. But the after market pieces will have better swipe patters and less deflection. This will translate into more accurate valve train and more power.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by silver01z06
These heads are a good option for people. Some people will stick with ported gm heads and that is fine. These heads will have room to grow later with porting work as to where the gm heads will not.
Doesn't the quote below address that issue and state that you shouldn't expect to gain much from porting these? It seems to me that if you plan on hand porting these heads, you won't gain much, if at all (according to the quote below), but if you are going to have more CNC porting done, you might as well spend that extra money on the CNC ported Trickflow heads in the first place, since it will probably cost close to that, if not more, to get it done after the fact. Correct me if I'm wrong, guys.

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
The new "As cast" TFS heads do have a fully CNC ported chamber as well as a CNC bowl blend. So there is some porting, just not full CNC porting, and they will probably not gain much with traditional hand porting, at least not in the .300"-.500" range which is what makes the power.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:51 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
The assembled price on this "LS1" head is $1899 without milling, and this includes the castings with seats and guides, guides CNC sized, chambers CNC ported, bowls CNC blended, 2.04 and 1.575 competition multiangle valve job, Max pressure springs, Titanium retainers, Comp machined locks, and Ferrea valves.

The head that was tested was milled, so it carries the extra cost for that operation.

The components are identical to the current TFS 215's, and the CNC chamber is identical to the current TFS 215's so the chamber is 64cc, the CNC bowl blend is practically identical to the TFS 215 bowl blend as well.

So how much was this head milled and what was the chamber volume? I think it's only fair to ask because if I wanted to try and duplicate the results it would be nice to know that you should mill 0.0xx" off the deck and bring chamber size to xxcc.

Just wondering.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Wow! All I can say is wow! The TFS 215 cast heads made 38rwhp more than the LS6 head. I'm not sure you guys realize just how amazing that is. You are all spoiled rotten. I've seen several TFS215 CNC bolt ons that gained 35rwhp to 37rwhp, so the cast heads may be working just as well as the CNC heads, for $500 less. That buys you the Yella Terra Ultralights, AND the machining to mill them down to 60cc or so.

Perhaps 8rwhp of that 38rwhp gain MAY have come from just the YT Ultralights, based on some other dyno testing I've seen over on the Corvette Forum. But a +30rwhp gain over the LS6's, is still nothing to sneeze at.

Ron, thanks for all this great info...

Okay, I can't resist ... if this Vindicator cammed Z06 had a pulley, EWP, Cats, Exhaust, would it be around 500rwhp? Or are you giving up some with the Cast vs. CNC'd TFS215?

Sorry. Couldn't resist

Quick Reply: TrickFlows NEW "As Cast" LSX Cylinder Head... A/B Results INSIDE!!!