Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

TrickFlows NEW "As Cast" LSX Cylinder Head... A/B Results INSIDE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 03:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TrickFlows NEW "As Cast" LSX Cylinder Head... A/B Results INSIDE!!!

TrickFlow has been working on a cylinder head for the more price oriented customer who still wants the performance of a good aftermarket piece.

Let me introduce to you TrickFlows new "As Cast" Cylinder Head. After months of testing/refining TrickFlow now has a cylinder head that can come right off the casting machine and be bolted onto your LSX powered car. These heads use the same valves/springs/valvetrain that the CNC ported TrickFlows have proven reliable time and time again.

Im sure Brian from TrickFlow will chime in with some more specifics, BUT in the meantime I would like to post some results of the first set of 3.90 bore heads off the production line. We were fortunate enough to be the first shop in the country to get a set of these.

Car Tested:03 Z06
Modifications: Vengeance Racing Vindicator Camshaft/Vengeance Ported FAST/Longtubes with Catted X pipe/Full Bolt Ons.

Tuning done by Vengeance

Car was baselined the morning it arrived showing 432/393

The car went back on the dyno that same afternoon with NO other changes other than the addition of TrickFlow cylinder Heads/Yella Terra Ultra Lite rockers.

New #s=470/425

Thats a gain of 38 rwhp/32 lb ft peak with excellent results under the curve as well!!!

Graph below shows the results discussed above. This cylinder heads will sell for 1995.00. They still require the 7.500 hardened pushrods and roller rockers.

We have these in stock and ready to ship if anyone is interested in an early X Mas Present.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice numbers.

The benefit to the customer is the redued cost of not having to have them ported? Sorry if thats a stupid question; im stupid.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks awesome, I just wish you didn't have to buy aftermarket rockers. The old wallet kind of takes a hit with those rockers.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

nice results!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im a big fan trick flows and will be getting the bad *** ones, but i have put together a few H/C packages with the T2 cam and others on people's cars with a stock casting prc 5.3heads and making that kind of power alot cheeper on stock rockets and all. Just doesnt seem like that good of a deal with buying rockers and the price of them head. Just seems like a waist of time for them unless the lower the price to compete with PRC and Patriot oh then you have to pay for the rockers LOL
Old 12-10-2007, 06:38 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Nice numbers.

The benefit to the customer is the redued cost of not having to have them ported? Sorry if thats a stupid question; im stupid.
Your not stupid its a new product.
What more or less happens is when a casting is given someone like Trickflow it starts as a "porters" casting. The head has a very small (like a 120-160cc port) and has a similar shape as a LS1 design. The porter's from there make it their own and work their magic. This is where the expensive CNC machines come into play. Basically what the deal is with this head is... Trickflow designed a head that when it came from the head casting facility bare (like the porter's versions) it didn't need porting. The rough casting already has a great design, and while it isn't as pretty as a CNCed head it still works. In a easier way to explain this Trickflow like Dart made a head to work out of the box without any porting needed. This saves in the costs due to no porting being needed. Everything else is exactly the same, the heads still need to be cleaned, valve jobed, rough edges taken care of, assembled, milled, etc etc, just no porting is needed.

If you see a 241/243/853/806/etc GM casting it is the same way. Just a raw as cast head that works.

I have tried to explain this to customer's before when talking about the Dart heads and now the Trick Flow's. Many people claim that if its not ported it wont work very well. And then I point out to them how much better a 243 NON PORTED casting is vs a 853 NON PORTED casting.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:46 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by DansRedz28
Im a big fan trick flows and will be getting the bad *** ones, but i have put together a few H/C packages with the T2 cam and others on people's cars with a stock casting prc 5.3heads and making that kind of power alot cheeper on stock rockets and all. Just doesnt seem like that good of a deal with buying rockers and the price of them head. Just seems like a waist of time for them unless the lower the price to compete with PRC and Patriot oh then you have to pay for the rockers LOL

I normally would keep my mouth closed here, but what you claim IMO is BS and not true unless the dyno your using is a VERY VERY happy dyno.
The T2 cam is a good cam don't get me wrong but it isn't a cam that has the potential to spout out 470+ with just any old combo. Can't it make 470? I am sure, but it will require a great Top end to get there including a Fast 90/90 setup, and a killer exhaust system.
Please don't take my post as me bashing you or calling you a liar as I am not that kind of person. I don't like to stir drama but I also don't want to see bad info in a thread like this that will get 1000+ views.
So before I open my mouth and have to insert my foot what dyno where these results made and can you throw up a graph showing the power curve? Also a list of mods would be great.

Again I am not saying what your claiming isn't possible but I have used the T2 cam a bunch of times and the only car I have seen making those kind of number's had a ported Fast, QTP's with a custom "Y", TFS CNC ported heads, with 11.5:1 CR.
Thanks and I look forward to seeing the mods and graph's of the cars you speak about.
Jeremy
Old 12-10-2007, 06:48 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance
TrickFlow has been working on a cylinder head for the more price oriented customer who still wants the performance of a good aftermarket piece.

Let me introduce to you TrickFlows new "As Cast" Cylinder Head. After months of testing/refining TrickFlow now has a cylinder head that can come right off the casting machine and be bolted onto your LSX powered car. These heads use the same valves/springs/valvetrain that the CNC ported TrickFlows have proven reliable time and time again.

Im sure Brian from TrickFlow will chime in with some more specifics, BUT in the meantime I would like to post some results of the first set of 3.90 bore heads off the production line. We were fortunate enough to be the first shop in the country to get a set of these.

Car Tested:03 Z06
Modifications: Vengeance Racing Vindicator Camshaft/Vengeance Ported FAST/Longtubes with Catted X pipe/Full Bolt Ons.

Tuning done by Vengeance

Car was baselined the morning it arrived showing 432/393

The car went back on the dyno that same afternoon with NO other changes other than the addition of TrickFlow cylinder Heads/Yella Terra Ultra Lite rockers.

New #s=470/425

Thats a gain of 38 rwhp/32 lb ft peak with excellent results under the curve as well!!!

Graph below shows the results discussed above. This cylinder heads will sell for 1995.00. They still require the 7.500 hardened pushrods and roller rockers.

We have these in stock and ready to ship if anyone is interested in an early X Mas Present.

Congs Ron. Great results. Customer should be very happy.
I tried to find you at PRI but there were to many people to find one single person I guess.
Jeremy
Old 12-10-2007, 07:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MPHmotorsports
Again I am not saying what your claiming isn't possible but I have used the T2 cam a bunch of times and the only car I have seen making those kind of number's had a ported Fast, QTP's with a custom "Y", TFS CNC ported heads, with 11.5:1 CR.
Thanks and I look forward to seeing the mods and graph's of the cars you speak about.
Jeremy
Old 12-10-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

1 of the cars was a m6 with stock gears, full Bolton's, fast 90/90, T2 cam, prc stage 2.5 5.3 heads, magnaflow catback, pacesetter lt, ory and put down 463/400 on a DYNO JET. The other car had all the same mods but in a A4 with a yank SS3600 stall, Stock SLM CME catback, pacestter LT, TSP ORY did 440/398 trq with the converter unlocked and on a mustang dyno so im sure he has a good bit more then 440whp both from kits from TSP. A few of the the other cars had bigger cams such as MS3, MS4, trex cams. All i was saying the price seems a little steep for the #'s it putting out. I love the other Trickflows and i will own them These heads the gain of 38 rwhp/32 lbs isn't that about average for a cheep ported stock castings? Your cam is a 240/244 .608/.596 112? This a good bit bigger then the T2 cam. TSP sells the kit as a 460whp kit. Its just a matter of 10-15hp worth an extra $1,000+. Not bashing you at all you put up great #'s Just talking about this new trick flow head! Hell all i got is stock 99 heads and 231/237 baby cam so im no where near you LOL. But i did get 413whp with with stock TB and ls6 intake.

Last edited by SIC LSX; 12-10-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Keep in mind the test car is a 03 Z06, the gains would be even higher vs. LS1 heads.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:07 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ls1muscle
Keep in mind the test car is a 03 Z06, the gains would be even higher vs. LS1 heads.
That was my next post. To gain that much power over LS6 heads already is bad ***.
Thats well over a 50HP gain over a 241 casting.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:08 PM

^True, but that's because it'd be starting with lower hp to begin with. The heads made awesome power, but how much to the madatory rockers sell for?
Old 12-10-2007, 11:06 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by DansRedz28
1 of the cars was a m6 with stock gears, full Bolton's, fast 90/90, T2 cam, prc stage 2.5 5.3 heads, magnaflow catback, pacesetter lt, ory and put down 463/400 on a DYNO JET. The other car had all the same mods but in a A4 with a yank SS3600 stall, Stock SLM CME catback, pacestter LT, TSP ORY did 440/398 trq with the converter unlocked and on a mustang dyno so im sure he has a good bit more then 440whp both from kits from TSP.
Yjese 2 examples are exactly why you cant "race dynos". How does a M6 on a DynoJet only make 23 more hp than an unlocked loose converter A4 on a mustang dyno?

Im not saying that it is impossible or not true, but that is why results like the OP posted are more valuable. Back to back results showing the actual gain are more useful and relative that different numbers from different cars on different dyno's.

Those are respectable gains over LS6 heads, and not at a bad price either when compared to aftermarket castings even when factoring in the rockers.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:37 AM

Aren't the rockers around $500? Aren't most other aftermarket casting between $2200 and $2500? Sounds like the added cost of the rocker makes these "budget" heads cost just as much or more than most other aftermarket heads.

Don't get me wrong, they make great power, but just because they're cheaper than the other Trickflow heads doesn't automatically make them budget.

Can someone explain this to me so that it sounds like a better deal than it seems right now?
Old 12-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Internet Mechanic

Yella Terra Ultra lite is 499$ + cost of the head, that would be the price of the swap.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

If you add the rockers and these heads together it's probably the same price as just getting just the heads in the past. Either way your saving yourself money.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't say anything about the cast trickflows but the CNC versions are worth the money hands down. The top end is where your power is made.. get off the wallet and spend it there. . I just used a set of CNC trickflows, one of my own custom cams with a very modest 230's duration cam, and a fast intake ported by myself to make 490 RWHP 430rwtq fully emmissions legal with cats and everything. and on top of that the dyno is stingy!
Old 12-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Internet Mechanic

If cnc ported TFS is 2400 + 500ish for rockers, pushrods and other given stuff then compared to Cast head for 2000 + 500 for the rockers, you are saving. I got the price from Vengence's website.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:17 AM

I'm curious how these new heads compare to different brands of heads that are in the same price range. 470 is a great number, so if the other's can't beat it then it'd be worth the money.

Quick Reply: TrickFlows NEW "As Cast" LSX Cylinder Head... A/B Results INSIDE!!!