Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Descreened MAF = 3rwhp/cut-out = 17rwhp/details inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 11:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Descreened MAF = 3rwhp/cut-out = 17rwhp/details inside

Hi,
Even though I'm not a LS1 newbie, I thought I would post some dyno results from my friends car who has owned this car for 3 years and is unmolested so far. The mods were done on the same dyno on the same day while the car was still strapped down.

Car: 1999 Z28 M6
Mods: Whisper lid, SLP SS takeoff muffler
Note: These are the only performance mods done to the car prior.

Notes: Stock 16" tires and rims, stock plugs, stock y-pipe with cats, stock exhaust manifolds. Car was Autotapped at 199 degrees coolant temp and 99 degrees air intake temp.
The car was driven 60 minutes in traffic and put right on the dyno. Cool down time between runs was minimum.

Baseline(pull #1): 303 rwhp.
Noteworthy is the fact the car was dyno'd with the same exact mods 3 years ago on a different dyno at 306rwhp.

Pull #2(cut-out open): 320rwhp
Wow 17rwhp! We were pleasantly suprised by this. The car sounded killer at WOT with it open and very mellow at idle (no louder than an aftermarket Cat-Back). This is a must mod a newbie should do, especially if they plan on keeping the stock cats. It also proves how restrictive the stock exhaust really is.

Pull #3(descreened stock MAF): 323rwhp
Notes: Cool down time was minimum; only enough to rip out the old MAF srceen and carefully clean the filthy MAF elements. Real gains from descreened MAF's have been in question for years (as most veterans know). I thought this was interesting and suprised it actually showed a noticeable
gain at the rear wheels.

Comments
Looking back with 20/20 hindsight I would definitely mod a LS1 car differently than I did when I bought my car (not the car above)4 years ago. The above mods were around $100, which for 23RWHP on a LS1 is not only a bargain, but a steal.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Descreened MAF = 3rwhp/cut-out = 17rwhp/details inside

Good information. Now tell him to buy some Hooker long tubes w/ ORP and dyno it again!
Old 07-30-2003, 12:28 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The reason descreening makes a noticeable difference is not because of increased flow, but because the reduced flow velocity fools the PCM into running more ignition timing and a leaner fuel mixture. That's OK, but just remeber not to use an HPP3 in combination with this mod or you may be on the ragged edge.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Good info, makes me want to put my stock MAF back on dyno, then pull the screen to see what changes.

Quick Reply: Descreened MAF = 3rwhp/cut-out = 17rwhp/details inside