Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dyno sheet for my 402 with overdriven 122

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by hellbents10
The problems that I see, blower is being spun to fast, and the AFR is dangerous. I do not know why people keep trying to spin these maggies so fast when all they do is produce hot air. I have people coming in with these things spinning so fast that they should be rated in Btu's.
Now that you mention it, I remember the shop swapping the snout pulley trying to get the performance numbers, instead of trying to get the tune correct.

I find it really odd that the comp cam is missing and no one mentioned it. That my motor was built with a LS2 cam that WAS NOT MINE !
Old 09-30-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow. thats nuts. perhaps someone did the cam swap, didnt write down that it was done, and the next guy came along to finish the build and re-swapped the cam.
**** happens, especially when people are careless, or busy
Old 09-30-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

where was the work done, by the way??
Old 09-30-2008, 10:25 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by tom's2005gto
Well, I think I found another reason why the dyno sheet was crazy. I decided to upgrade the Comp Cam I had, to an Ed designed cam. Last Sunday, removed the comp cam and installed the new Ed cam. Car runs so much better!

Got home and compared the Comp cam to the cam card..... no match! Found out some how some way, my comp cam was replaced with a stock LS2 cam. Yep... I pulled a stock LS2 cam out of my engine. Not the cam I had once purchased and had installed before my very eyes. But apparently some how it was replaced by someone during the recent build up.

Note car has also been re-tuned with the help of Nick Williams having me data log and send him files, while he adjust and emails new tune files for me to upload. Heading to his shop in a few weeks for a dyno tune.
You find out who you will be choking yet?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Johny GTO
where was the work done, by the way??
The comp cam was originally installed by Tristar Performance in GA. I stood there and watched them install it. When it was time to build the new 402, The previous Tristar guys towed my car to their new shop House of Torque (HOT). But they went under / out of business. They towed my car and all the parts to Spectacle Solutions in Memphis. Where Brian and Jeff assembled the 402. Brian once worked for Comp Cams in Memphis, so I would think that he could identify a stock LS2 cam versus a Comp Cam, as they are both marked differently. Also Brian's LS2 GTO (same car as mine) was there with the engine torn down. So I feel pretty confident that the guys at Spectacle can identify a stock GM LS2 cam or a Comp Cam.

Not sure where or why my cam came up missing. But I do know that after my dyno run at Spectacle, they were pretty confident that my numbers would be much better if I forked over another $700 to do a cam upgrade.

I ended up towing the car home via trailer after we could not agree on how to repair the oil leak. Spectacle wanted to tear the engine down and replace the rings as they felt the oil leak was due to blow by around the rings. After they had already removed the oil pan two or three times, and the tranny two or three times to check for oil pan leak or rear cover leak. After I towed the car home we found the leak to be that 8 or 9 of the 10 main cap side block bolts were finger lose and none of them had any sealant on them.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I guess that's why power took a nosedrive at 5300rpms.

Last edited by jetlag; 10-01-2008 at 12:47 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

Hate to hear that, let us know what you find out.

-Will
Old 09-30-2008, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

thats crazy...
Old 10-01-2008, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

towed my car and all the parts to Spectacle Solutions in Memphis. Where Brian and Jeff assembled the 402.
That would seem like the best time for someone to "mistakenly" swap your comp camp with a stock one. I dont think the other shops would spend the time to steal your cam, and have to do a entire cam swap in the process.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Tom,

The cam that was in your motor when it left my shop is the cam that was in your motor when it arrived at my shop.

You are really about to carry your **** too far. If you continue to make false claims about us I will persue legal action.

We are trying to build a good reputation and busting our asses to do it. Toms issues with us have been well documented and anyone with any sense knows he caused 99% of his own problems.

If anyone is interested in the full story, feel free to pm me, or just do a search on our shop. That way, you get the facts.

Last edited by Jeff@SpectacleSolutions; 10-01-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
That would seem like the best time for someone to "mistakenly" swap your comp camp with a stock one. I dont think the other shops would spend the time to steal your cam, and have to do a entire cam swap in the process.
as usual, you arent getting the full story. That motor was brought to us after the previous shop built it, and went out of business for financial reasons.

sounds to me like they had ample opportunity, and reason for doing something underhanded.

we however, are a new shop trying our best to build a good reputation and would never steal anything from anyone.

Last edited by Jeff@SpectacleSolutions; 10-01-2008 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Now that you mention it, I remember the shop swapping the snout pulley trying to get the performance numbers, instead of trying to get the tune correct.

I find it really odd that the comp cam is missing and no one mentioned it. That my motor was built with a LS2 cam that WAS NOT MINE !

its always "the shops" idea isnt it tom? YOU were the one wanting numbers. YOU WERE THE ONE that wanted the pulley changed.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=blackmail

this will clear things up for those of you that arent getting the whole story.

Tom was told (in writing) that his issues would be resolved. He picked the car up anyway.

read that thread and it will all become much clearer without me having to repeat myself.

Tom, I was willing to deal with your childishness about the cam untill you actually mentioned my shop. Be expecting some mail in the near future. If a lawyer tells me I have any ground at all to stand on with regards to a liable suit, Ill be seeing you in court.

Last edited by Jeff@SpectacleSolutions; 10-01-2008 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Jeff, I never stated that you or your shop outright stole my cam. And I did not mean that. I just stated the facts that I once had a cam installed at another shop. I also stated that the cam was also removed by that same other shop. I also stated that cam was to be delivered to you and your shop and to be installed in my engine that you assembled.

At some point along the way..... that did not happen. Where that cam is, I do not know, but it did not come home with me!
Old 10-01-2008, 08:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Jeff, I never stated that you or your shop outright stole my cam. And I did not mean that. I just stated the facts that I once had a cam installed at another shop. I also stated that the cam was also removed by that same other shop. I also stated that cam was to be delivered to you and your shop and to be installed in my engine that you assembled.

At some point along the way..... that did not happen. Where that cam is, I do not know, but it did not come home with me!
All I can tell you is that the cam that left my shop in your motor, is the same damn cam that came to my shop in your motor.

I think anyone that has followed our relationship knows exactly what you are insinuating. I never said a word about any of your posts about your cam untill my shops name was brought up.

Your comments about us suggesting cams and pulleys is B.S. You made those suggestions Tom.

I realize you had a bad experience with us, and for that im truly sorry. We did everything we could to help you.

You can go on your tieraids all day long about how we screwed up your trunk, and how we left bolts loose, and how we screwed your tune up (of course we dissagree and I think the facts speak for themselves) but when you start insinuating we stole something, I will draw the line.

There are even people from this thread spreading that nonsense on other boards and its simply got to stop.

I have no problem at all with this ending up in court for you to have a chance to prove your case, and for me to have a chance to prove mine.

Liable is a serious issue. Stop trying to hurt my reputation with missinformation and move on.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Jeff, one question that puzzles me. With Brian once employed by Comp Cams, why did he not wonder why he was installing a stock LS2 in a radical motor, a cam that was also suppose to be a Comp Cam? Surely a one time Comp Cam employee can identify a Comp Cam from a stocker, right?

Not questioning integrity!!!! Just wondering why didn't someone that has such knowledge, raise a red flag. It would have made it much easier had the cam been identified as "not" a comp cam prior to install, and a new cam ordered then.

I am by no means stating or insinuating that anyone intentionally did anything wrong, or deliberately deceived me. Just wondering why this happened, and it was not caught at the time of install.

Hope you understand my question, and not take it out of context. If I offend, please let me know, and allow me to offer an apology.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Jeff, one question that puzzles me. With Brian once employed by Comp Cams, why did he not wonder why he was installing a stock LS2 in a radical motor, a cam that was also suppose to be a Comp Cam? Surely a one time Comp Cam employee can identify a Comp Cam from a stocker, right?
Tom, tell me why we would even look!!!!! Are you telling me that you can tell the difference in cams by looking at the lobes? Why would we even have a REASON to inspect the markings on the cam?

Not questioning integrity!!!!
of course you are.

Hope you understand my question
I dont at all understand it. Is it normal procedure to look at the end of the cam and check the engraving on it, when your job is to simply dissassemble the engine to check clearances and gaps?

Your engine arrived at my shop ALREADY ASSEMBLED by another shop. Why on earth would the thought even cross my mind to check and make sure the cam wasnt a factory one?

And thank you for pointing out Brians experience. Also understand that we have connections in this business. I can get a comp cam on my account cheap enough to warrant me not having any reason whatsoever to steal one from somebody!!

I sure hope you have the crank, pistons, and rods you paid for in that motor!!!! But you can bet one thing, if you dont.....its not because we took them.

We simply took what you brought us, dissassembled it, checked clearences and gaps, and reassembled the parts YOU BROUGHT TO OUR SHOP.

Maybe it would have been prudent on your part to check those parts before you brought them to us to make sure you had would you thought you had?????

Last edited by Jeff@SpectacleSolutions; 10-01-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Jeff, I thought that the cams could be identified by the marking on the front? A stock GM cam has very different markings then a Comp Cam, right?

And yes, the short block was assembled when it arrived at Spectacle Solutions. But you were paid extra to tear it down and inspect it. Maybe not measure cam lobes, but maybe notice that it's not a comp cam but a stock GM LS2 cam. Now thinking further back, was the cam in the short block? Or delivered in a cam box? Just wondering, may mean nothing.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

disaster all around
Old 10-01-2008, 03:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Jeff, I thought that the cams could be identified by the marking on the front? A stock GM cam has very different markings then a Comp Cam, right?

And yes, the short block was assembled when it arrived at Spectacle Solutions. But you were paid extra to tear it down and inspect it. Maybe not measure cam lobes, but maybe notice that it's not a comp cam but a stock GM LS2 cam. Now thinking further back, was the cam in the short block? Or delivered in a cam box? Just wondering, may mean nothing.

it was in the engine, with the timing chain installed. and you are correct, we were paid to check tollerences and ring gap.

expecting someone to check cam lobes to make sure its the right cam is a little bit.....no, its a whole lot out of the ordinary.

ask yourself, why would I find it necessary to think any cam other than what you told me was in the motor, was in the motor? why would I find it necessary to check that?

It wasnt my job to verify you had an eagle crank, or a lunati crank, or a comp cam, or a diamond piston, or a JE piston.

It was my job to tear the engine down, check clearences, and reassemble.

You can count on one lesson learned though. My shop will never touch another engine that was previously built by another shop again....ever.

Quick Reply: Dyno sheet for my 402 with overdriven 122