Nice results.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the props guys.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the amazing thing is how much power you are making through the cats! Regardless of the dyno type or gains. That is crazy! I am getting sick of the fumes myself. Now I just need $5000 for a new top end...

-Geoff
Old 09-05-2008, 08:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Furthermore, how can you say the heads are better than ETPs? ETPs are regarded as the best heads available for the LS motors by some of the best engine builders out there.
Let see. Stock heads are 15 degree valve angle. TFSs are 13.5. LS7 heads are 12 degree. ETPs are 11. HHHMMMM, Think they're on to something?
BTW, if you wanna sell the ETPs, lemme know. I'd be glad to take them off your hands.
The total head "package" in terms of port shape, chamber shape, valve and valve job is what determines how much power a head can make, not total valve angle. All of these things work together to make the port flow air and make power. If it were as simple as rolling the valve over to make power, well, then everything would be 0 degrees. I well done 13.5 degree head can and will outpower a 11 degree head if the 13.5 degree head flows more air everywhere, which case in point, the TFS 235 does outflow a ET 225 everywhere, at least on our flowbench. The much shorter (stock length) valves in the TFS heads weigh less and suffer less valve float than the .550" longer than stock valves in a ET head.

I have some 2.5 year old engine dyno data from the top 3 aftermarket heads on a stock shortblock all tested back to back, and the TFS 215's outpowered the ET 215's. Both heads flowed very similar, but issues (such as exhaust ports that don't line up and heavy valve train) with the ET heads kept them from making the power. I think the guys at TFS have a good handle on making power.

BTW, Congrats on your new found power!

Last edited by Brian Tooley Racing; 09-05-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
The total head "package" in terms of port shape, chamber shape, valve and valve job is what determines how much power a head can make, not total valve angle. All of these things work together to make the port flow air and make power. If it were as simple as rolling the valve over to make power, well, then everything would be 0 degrees. I well done 13.5 degree head can and will outpower a 11 degree head if the 13.5 degree head flows more air everywhere, which case in point, the TFS 235 does outflow a ET 225 everywhere, at least on our flowbench. The much shorter (stock length) valves in the TFS heads weigh less and suffer less valve float than the .550" longer than stock valves in a ET head.

I have some 2.5 year old engine dyno data from the top 3 aftermarket heads on a stock shortblock all tested back to back, and the TFS 215's outpowered the ET 215's. Both heads flowed very similar, but issues (such as exhaust ports that don't line up and heavy valve train) with the ET heads kept them from making the power. I think the guys at TFS have a good handle on making power.

BTW, Congrats on your new found power!
I'm well aware of all that.
But, fact is, as technology has progressed, everyone has been seeking shallower valve angles in every conceivable type of cyl head out there. SBCs, BBCs, LSXs, Fords, you name it.
I'll take the shallowest valve angle possible every time.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

A well done 13.5 degree head can and will outpower a 11 degree head if the 13.5 degree head flows more air everywhere, which case in point, the TFS 235 does outflow a ET 225 everywhere, at least on our flowbench.
Dry air flow #'s doesn't mean that the cylinder head will perform better than another head. Port shape & valve seat angle have more to do with how well a cylinder head will perform

The much shorter (stock length) valves in the TFS heads weigh less and suffer less valve float than the .550" longer than stock valves in a ET head.
This statement is true with the same beehive valve spring installed. If you use the correct valve spring for the job this would be a non-issue.

I have some 2.5 year old engine dyno data from the top 3 aftermarket heads on a stock shortblock all tested back to back, and the TFS 215's outpowered the ET 215's. Both heads flowed very similar, but issues (such as exhaust ports that don't line up and heavy valve train) with the ET heads kept them from making the power.
ET has corrected the valve spring issue since your dyno info was conducted and should be able to "perform" on a more even playing field in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, bolth the TFS & ETP heads are great products, but your statements about why your products are superior have been a little slanted over the years. There were too many changes all at once, just to say that the cylinder heads were the reason he picked up XX amount more RWHP. I still believe that the camshaft change had more to do with things, rather than the cylinder heads!
Old 09-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Banned

The biggest point is; How can anyone call "gains" going from one kind of dyno to another???????????????
For all we know, it LOST hp.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997bird
Dry air flow #'s doesn't mean that the cylinder head will perform better than another head. Port shape & valve seat angle have more to do with how well a cylinder head will perform
Just curious as to what your port airflow/power production credentials are?

Originally Posted by 1997bird
Don't get me wrong, bolth the TFS & ETP heads are great products, but your statements about why your products are superior have been a little slanted over the years. There were too many changes all at once, just to say that the cylinder heads were the reason he picked up XX amount more RWHP. I still believe that the camshaft change had more to do with things, rather than the cylinder heads!
I don't think anyone in this entire post said he picked up XX more RWHP due to the heads, I know I didn't say that.

So you think 4 degrees more intake and exhaust duration will make more than 10 RWHP difference? Have you ever tried that type of cam duration change in this type of application? I have, we didn't get 10 RWHP.

The biggest point is; How can anyone call "gains" going from one kind of dyno to another???????????????
It seems these guys have well documented claims as to how these dynos compare to one another, so to say what you said is to dispute their data, and how can you dispute their data? Do you have data from these same dynos that contridicts what they claim? To claim this Mustang dyno makes about the same number as a Dynojet doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.

I have about 10 shops that have made 540-550 RWHP with 402/408/416 combinations and TFS 225/235 heads, so what is so hard to believe this customer did so too?

Here is video of a TEA customer first time out, pump gas 402, hyd roller 242/248 cam, TFS 225 heads. On a local Superflow 600 their ET 225 heads flowed more air than the TFS 225 heads we sent him. The same exact heads flowed on our bench showed the opposite. I guess the "proof is in the pudding" as he's ran 9.80's on motor.

Right click, "save target as" http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/Media/RickVideo.wmv

Last edited by Brian Tooley Racing; 09-05-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

omg....Yea dude, he lost HP

I guess I lost HP also going from 453rwhp on BackStreets Dynojet with Steve's tune to 463rwhp on ASAP's Mustang dyno with Bryans tune.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just curious as to what your port airflow/power production credentials are?
I have only been known locally for my port work. However, I do know people that do have this kind of talent (NHRA ProStock Bike & ProStock Cars). They have been kind enough to share information with me about the subject and my comments were reflecting that.

I don't think anyone in this entire post said he picked up XX more RWHP due to the heads, I know I didn't say that.
No you did not, but this was implied by several other members of this site.

So you think 4 degrees more intake and exhaust duration will make more than 10 RWHP difference? Have you ever tried that type of cam duration change in this type of application? I have, we didn't get 10 RWHP.
You are trying to look at only one aspect of a cam for your referance. Did you pick up on the fact that there are two different cam companies used here? Do you really think that their lobe profiles are the exact same? How about the valve timing events (LSA, ICL)?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What octane are you running???

Nice numbers man.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Banned

Just for the record, I dont think the cam swap gained much of anything.

It seems these guys have well documented claims as to how these dynos compare to one another, so to say what you said is to dispute their data, and how can you dispute their data? Do you have data from these same dynos that contridicts what they claim? To claim this Mustang dyno makes about the same number as a Dynojet doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.
Well documented what? Nowe you'redoing nothing more than feeding into the bogus practice of claiming very unscientific gains.
My point is simply, how can you possibly claim any sort of gain going from one type of dyno to another?
I have about 10 shops that have made 540-550 RWHP with 402/408/416 combinations and TFS 225/235 heads, so what is so hard to believe this customer did so too?
Maybe I should post the graph of the last TFS 235 headed 403, with a similar cam, fast 90 and all supporting mods, that didnt crack 510? Compared to a VERY similar 403, VERY similar cam, only real difference is ETP 225s, that went 532/491?
I have no dog in this cyl head fight. I'm just sayin the claim of ANY gains going from one type of dyno to another is just BOGUS.
Go run it on a DJ and post your results, and I'll have not a damn thing to say.Idont care if it makes 550, at least it will be an apples to apples comparison.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Restricted User

You are definately a piece of work...
Old 09-07-2008, 09:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I get in here? I made 521/500 with AFR 205s out of the box and an X4 cam on a 402 with a FAST
Old 09-07-2008, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

nice numbers i want to build a 408 for my z some day. i go to pittsburgh raceway almost every weekend, i havent seen your car run there unless i missed it but great ws6 man.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:14 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by rob scott
nice numbers i want to build a 408 for my z some day. i go to pittsburgh raceway almost every weekend, i havent seen your car run there unless i missed it but great ws6 man.
I haven't been up there ina while. I am going to try and get up there Wednesday night...
Old 09-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by venom ws7
What octane are you running??? Nice numbers man..

Sunoco 93
Old 09-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Louis
Can I get in here? I made 521/500 with AFR 205s out of the box and an X4 cam on a 402 with a FAST
We've made 510 on a 383 with AFR 205s. The point isnt the number, or numbers. The point is the rediculousness (I just made that up ) of making gains claims, going from one kind of dyno to another. Not even THE SAME KIND, and TWO DIFFERENT ONES, but TWO DIFFERENT KINDS. I guess I'm the only one who thinks thats rediculous.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:01 PM
10 Second Club

im gonna have my z out there wednesday night for test n tune, if your there stop by my z is sliver with a 4 inch white cowl hood. i'll more then likey mess up being my first time to the track.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by venom ws7
Awesome numbers Congrats I love N/A Power.

any spray plans???

/
Ditto!!! Love n/a!!!!!

Quick Reply: My latest 408 dyno results