Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Racing a "10 sec." Civic Hatchback...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I beat a turboed nitroused civic at track with my 14.2 near stock 96z vert. He was on street tires! LOL his 60ft was 2.85. He nearly hit the wall and his mph was 85mph since he had to get out of it and he couldn't shift for crap.
I smell BS. there is no way a turboed and nitrous honda would only trap 84MPH even letting off at the 1/8mile. I personally know a honda owner who runs street tires at the track and runs 11.5's@128ish he is also only turbo on 13lbs
Old 02-25-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He was not using spray don't think that run . I have the timeslip around here still will try to dig it up. The mph was very low ,maybe he didnt' even get to the 1/8 mile . He refused to run my 96z when he came around to the staging lanes ,he asked to be put next to a slower car.

As said the car was on street tires. I was racing against him on nitto drag radials. Local track used to be very slippery, no track prep that day and only recently did they tear it up to put in concrete for first 300 feet ? It was just plain ashalt previously.

I have never seen a 10 second honda run at our local track when I have been there and been there a lot. I have seen some 12 second ones for sure ,one supercharged desol and
some 12 second hondas.I forget if saw one high 11 second honda,I usually take notes of the cars when I go to track .That one did run decent for a ghetto build but blew up later on in the day. It was stock engine and cobbled together ebay turbo kit.
So you can expect it to go boom. And he was on drag tires.

I like dsm a lot more than I like hondas if you look at my sig. And always say rather have a slow fourth gen any day of the week over a fast honda.

I haven't had really challenges by hondas or much else since pretty much finished up my TT 99 408. Not too worried anymore. Course my plate gives fair warning ,my twin turbo emblems and 408 emblems and my turbos and blows offs are pretty loud when cutout is opened and am into the boost.

My 97 talon is no slouch either.
Fully built 2.4 swap with basically a GT35R and all the support mods,sheet metal intake, 950 injectors, dsmlink, big cams,etc. I have not tracked my 97 talon or my 99 ta yet. Just tracked the 96z with mild mods. Should have some times and dynos this coming season on the 99ta. Didn't want to track the 97 talon until upgrade trans,axles and center diff.Don't like breaking things! 91 talon is pure race car project,should be done this year or next. Trailer only on that one,stripped down,one seat, rollbar,etc.Also be running a gt35R type turbo on that one with fulls supporting mods and fully built 2 litre.That car is auto.

Anyway not saying there aren't fast hondas out there. But personally sick of hearing about all the supposed 10 second ones in my city and province. I have not lost to one yet on the street with actually any of my cars. And have not seen one 10 second one at local track. Most of the kids that own them in my city are full of crap and don't have a clue how to tune them. Most run street tires on the street. I run drag radials on my 99ta, 96z, and my 97 awd talon of course can get great 60fts on street tires.

I will see if can dig up those timeslips. Ran like three hondas that day with the 96z running 14.2s at 96mph. And beat all of them. Assume the other ones were stock or near stock. Heck my minivan could have been some of the other ones that day!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Teching In

if the car does run 10s, even mid 10s, expect it to trap atleast mid 130s
Old 02-25-2009, 01:59 PM
Teching In

I have never seen a 10 second honda run at our local track when I have been there and been there a lot.

My 97 talon is no slouch either.
Fully built 2.4 swap with basically a GT35R and all the support mods,sheet metal intake, 950 injectors, dsmlink, big cams,etc. I have not tracked my 97 talon or my 99 ta yet. Just tracked the 96z with mild mods. Should have some times and dynos this coming season on the 99ta. Didn't want to track the 97 talon until upgrade trans,axles and center diff.Don't like breaking things! 91 talon is pure race car project,should be done this year or next. Trailer only on that one,stripped down,one seat, rollbar,etc.Also be running a gt35R type turbo on that one with fulls supporting mods and fully built 2 litre.That car is auto.
I have only scene one honda at our strip that has run a 9 second pass but it was a fully built car and not a street car. The fastest honda was my friends who ran the 11.5@128 on drag radials but he plans to move to a bigger turbo and run full slicks next time so I think he wants a very deep 10 or maybe single digit pass.

As far as the DSM, 4G64 block? 2.0L auto with a 35R, are you using nitrous to help get that spooled out of the hole?

I have a 2.4L with a FP3065 and it takes about 3-5 seconds of brake boosting before it hits 10psi. Nice set-up either way and post pics when the build it done. I wish I had the money to upgrade the drive-train, then I would launch so much harder but last time I did that I snapped the driveshaft and shattered the transfer case so I baby the car to 1.6-1.7 short times.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok sorry maybe got things a bit confused.
My 97 talon is my street car. It has a 6 bolt 2.4.From Hyundai Sonata. It has currently stock 100mm crank,
crower rods and wiseco 8.8 pistons.Head has manley stainless but stock sized valves, crower cams 414s think they were,crower springs,..I have jm fab intake, ported stock tb. gm maf, dsmlink. 950 injectors. supra tt pump, big lines. adjustable fuel reg. Extreme turbo systems front mount. apexi catback and downpipe. Slowboy HD 4000 clutch. FP3065, FP exhaust manifold. Tial 44 gate and Tial blow off.
That car is pretty much done just have to decide if going to keep the 3065 on it and then will get a Jack trans, Dss axles and few other little things to finish it .

I had something go wrong last season and the car has been parked since. Either spun a bearing in the 5000 mile 2.4 or the clutch has fallen apart..suspect the latter but have not taken things apart to find out what went wrong.
The 97 has never been to the track. I wanted to do Jack trans and dss axles first. The 97 intake is setup for direct port. But none is installed yet.
I have suspension mods too. Tannabe springs, tokico adjustable shocks,rm sway bars.
Kvr rotors and hawk hps pads.

Then I also am building a 91 talon awd turbo. That one is staying 2.0. It has auto and will get IPT billet stall for it. Its super light gutting it way down. I was thinking to move the FP3065 to the 91 talon or run a gt35R on it if keep the FP3065 on the 97. Or go down to FP3052 on the 97.
I know the FP3065 is pretty much a gt30/35 basically hybrid.
I have dsmlink on the 91 race car. I don't see much problem spooling up a GT35R or FP3065 with say a stall in the auto and have the dsmlink for antilag. I don't see why would need nitrous. My 2.4 in my 97 spools up the FP3065 I think around 3800 to 4000 but would like to maybe go down to a FP3052 to give me a better street powerband and really don't need the extra power of the FP3065 on the street anyway.

When I want to scare myself silly I have my 99 TT 408.

I am not sure if will finish up the 91 race car project this season. Goals are a reasonable 10 xx in the 1991 no interest in every going 9s.

I can post some pics of my 97 talon a bit later today. Not much to see on the 91 yet.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Old 02-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Teching In

I don't see much problem spooling up a GT35R or FP3065 with say a stall in the auto and have the dsmlink for antilag. .
If you can figure out how to make it spool fast on the line let me know because I tried setting up antilag and 2 step systems but all my attempts failed (only 5-6) so I just gave up and decided just to sit and wait out the brake boosting. Usually takes anywhere from 3-5 seconds though.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

there is probably a reason a civic is calling you out for money.

we have a good amount of fast hondas out here. if you go from the lowest roll he'll possibly allow, you might win. second he will just spin. once he hits third, it'll start moving, and 4th he's gonna pull hard. if it really is a 10 sec civic
Old 03-02-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe he meant 10's in the 1/8th?
Old 03-09-2009, 01:09 AM
JAG
Teching In

Hey guys thanks for the replies...I met up with the guy at a local import meet. The little civic is totally gutted without even a dash board. Had him pop the hood and it looked like a pretty clean built engine....said he was running 14 psi which I think was bs and said that it wasn't forged but a source of mine told me otherwise.
So then he checked out my car and made sure I had no nitrous. My bro had supposedly worked out a dig run for some $ with a close friend of his before the meet but once we started talking about it he refused to do it from a dig. He wanted to do a roll up to "top speed"...So of course I refused to that since I have 4.10 gears, a converter, and he was easily like 2k lbs lighter than me....so after some arguing we decided to do a dig and a roll just for fun and he proceeded to put some slicks on the little thing.
Was a busy night but we eventually caught a red light. So I turned off my TCS and once it turned green I gunned it, stupid me, because I started fishtailing like crazy...so I just let off before I hit him or the side walk. Then we went from about a 40 mph roll and well, he put some car lengths on me and I shut it around 110. So after that we both went our ways...
I'm sure he's told all his little import friends about this by now but maybe this will give him some confidence to run me from a dig next time and I can warm up my tires and ease into it instead of just stomping the gas. Then again I could also get some 3.42 gears, a nitrous shot and run him from a roll ...Sorry for the long post. This kinda sucks although I'm sure he was running at least 18psi if not in the 20s

Quick Reply: Racing a "10 sec." Civic Hatchback...