Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Racing a "10 sec." Civic Hatchback...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:43 PM
JAG
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Racing a "10 sec." Civic Hatchback...

Hey guys just wanted to get some opinions on how you guys think this will go down...I've been called out by a Turbo Civic who claims to be in the 10s. Haven't gotten much info. but all I know is that its a fully built Type R engine with sleeves and will be running 14psi. It's suppose to be street legal without a cage and wants to put down some $ on a run.
I have heads, cam, intake, full bolt-ons, 4400 Vigilante Converter, cut-out, 4.10 gears, et streets and a tune....I haven't been up against a Turbo Civic before so don't know what to expect. How do you guys think this will go from a roll or a dig...I'll be pushing for a dig race of course!

Last edited by JAG; 03-09-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well you will be able to make a good decision on how fast he is as soon as you see what kind of tires he shows up to the race with.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I've seen some civics that mean business...but many are all talk.

Could go either way. Just like the civic driver
Old 02-23-2009, 01:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

IF he's not BS'ing and has a good suspension setup I'd say you've got a good race. 16psi + light as ****. If he grips he's gonna rip.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:31 AM
Banned

Hard to say some civics are setup real good and can run in the 10's while others are hacked and will be lucky to break into the 13's. I would do some detective work....
Old 02-23-2009, 06:52 AM
12 Second Club

Ask him to go from a dig. If he doesn't want to, you know he's full of **** about the "10 second civic" part. If it really HAS RAN 10s before, he should be eager to go from a dig.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 95 Z28
Ask him to go from a dig. If he doesn't want to, you know he's full of **** about the "10 second civic" part. If it really HAS RAN 10s before, he should be eager to go from a dig.
Ummmm......why do you think all the high HP FWD guys do NOT want to go from a dig on the street? They can't hook for ****! On the track is another story.
A built Type R block with 14 psi could give you a good run if he is full weight and has some suspension but if he's been taking weight out of his car you might wanna watch out
Old 02-23-2009, 08:58 AM
12 Second Club

Meh whatever. Both cars will probably have traction issues on the street from a dig or low mph roll. It's hard to say how fast his car should be without knowing what turbo he has anyways.

As a comparision, my buddy's GSR swapped hatch with forged internals and a T3/T4 went 10.6 @ 131. He can drive the ******* **** out of that car though. If this guy's car is anything like that, I can't see a na heads/cam auto car staying anywhere near the civic from a roll.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Teching In

i dont know how/what your car runs but, I dont see him wanting to run from a dig if hes on a street tire, he wont hook, if he comes out on a slick, it may hook(as well as a boosted fwd car will). However from a roll, you may be in trouble. Being a turbo car he is going to come on STRONG on the top end, where as with a stall that will not be a strong point for you.

Keep us posted man
Old 02-23-2009, 10:25 AM
***Repost Police***

Basically what everyone else is saying... could be nothing, could be pretty damn fast. Good luck, and keep us updated.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

no cage? To be running 10's in a civic I would think he needed alot of track time just to practice launching, and you don't run 10's without a cage. I call bull or that he's just guessing his time...
Old 02-23-2009, 07:25 PM
JAG
Teching In

Originally Posted by Creman
no cage? To be running 10's in a civic I would think he needed alot of track time just to practice launching, and you don't run 10's without a cage. I call bull or that he's just guessing his time...
That's exactly what I was thinking....I bet there's at least an 80% chance that he's just guessing on his time and he's just talk. Well I'm definitely gonna run him but for no more than like $100 if the car looks legit....and if I do lose then I'm gonna have to bottle feed my TA so that I don't have to worry about this again
Old 02-23-2009, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

No idea to be honest, once its turbo'd anything can happen. Can be fast as a bullt or slow as a slug, all depends on the work REALLY done to it, which he probably won't reveal all to you. Deff. try and go from a dig though if it goes down.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Since he has the turbo, i say bolt up the sneaky pete just incase! Run the first one without it to get a good feel for how his car is performing. Then run him again no holds barred...
Old 02-23-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JAG
Hey guys just wanted to get some opinions on how you guys think this will go down...I've been called out by a Turbo Civic who claims to be in the 10s. Haven't gotten much info. but all I know is that its a fully built Type R engine with sleeves and will be running 14psi. It's suppose to be street legal without a cage and wants to put down some $ on a run.
I have heads, cam, intake, full bolt-ons, 4400 Vigilante Converter, cut-out, 4.10 gears, et streets and a tune....I haven't been up against a Turbo Civic before so don't know what to expect. How do you guys think this will go from a roll or a dig...I'll be pushing for a dig race of course!
Most 10 second Civics are 12-13 second cars.

Originally Posted by 95 Z28
Meh whatever. Both cars will probably have traction issues on the street from a dig or low mph roll. It's hard to say how fast his car should be without knowing what turbo he has anyways.

As a comparision, my buddy's GSR swapped hatch with forged internals and a T3/T4 went 10.6 @ 131. He can drive the ******* **** out of that car though. If this guy's car is anything like that, I can't see a na heads/cam auto car staying anywhere near the civic from a roll.
Any really fast import usually has the MPH of a car running a second faster. So running a 10 second import from a roll you'd probably need a 9 second car. Definitely go from a dig.

Most tracks don't care unless it's a race. I've ran 11s at a few tracks and haven't even been questioned about wearing a helmet. So it is entirely possible to run tens without a cage.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAG
That's exactly what I was thinking....I bet there's at least an 80% chance that he's just guessing on his time and he's just talk. Well I'm definitely gonna run him but for no more than like $100 if the car looks legit....and if I do lose then I'm gonna have to bottle feed my TA so that I don't have to worry about this again
Do you have a good tire? beacause that will be your biggest friend

I would imagine he will have traction problems in at least 1st and maybe 2nd also, that is where you need to pull him hard.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Teching In

like people are saying, it also depends on how its built. I know my good buddy I race with has a 95 4-door civic, with a single cam(much less hp than the DOHC type R), small turbo (off an evo 3), ebay turbo manifold, full exhaust, full interior, stock cam, stock intake mani, and the car ran 12.8s in street trim, 15psi, pump gas, on a drag radial.

If he knows what he is doing it could be very fast, but then again, you never know. Traction will be your friend

If it is a sleeved block, I wouldnt trust its only on 14psi. I know people with similar set ups pushing 500whp
Old 02-24-2009, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is Phoenix...land of sandbaging, and bs. This could vary well be the real deal, or he could be trying to bluff you out. Ask for money, claim to be fast, you punk out, you = bitch. Then you put your money up, he could punk out...or he would take that **** and run. I say, hit it with a good sized pill, and take his money.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are some 10 second civic turbos out there..I have heard of them in my city but haven't actually found one yet..at least not on the street. To hook a 10 second fwd pretty much need slicks.Even nittos doubt would cut it. FWD is bitch to hook .Had a few fwd turbo talons..awd is much much better in the hooking up high power department.

You have et streets. Go from dig only. And boost level is meaningless number without knowing what turbo he has. Bigger turbos might make 500rwhp at 14psi. Smaller one can make 200. Huge difference for same psi.
Also wondering why he would run such low boost. Most turbos that you would put on to turn 10s would be spun a lot higher like 25psi. And its easy to turn up boost way higher in car with electronic control at touch of a button. He could be at 14psi for a play around pass and then at 25psi on race for his real pass. If he has a brain he can make racefuel easily with xylene or toluene. Or can run alc injection to run much higher boost on pump gas.

I say run this guy for 100 whatever..He is also a stick and will likely blow the race anyway. You are auto can't miss shifts if you let the car do the shifting. Autos make the best 1/4 mile car. I beat a turboed nitroused civic at track with my 14.2 near stock 96z vert. He was on street tires! LOL his 60ft was 2.85. He nearly hit the wall and his mph was 85mph since he had to get out of it and he couldn't shift for crap.

Remember though from a roll more dangerous and you can lose to one of my turbo cars one race and then I just punch up the boost and waste you like you had a 4 banger.
Thats what makes turbo cars so fun.Dial up the power when you want it ,assuming you have the supporting mods, built engine tuning knowledge etc to handle the higher boost and power.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:00 PM
Banned

Your car obviously isn't a 10 second car. So, why does any *** clown in any car that runs 10's want to run you for money?

You need a spot. You need a ET ticket. Tell the *** clown you'll pay to get his car on a drag strip. When it goes through tech tell them it runs 13's. If it runs 10's he'll get kicked off. On street tires no firggen way..

Jakes Dad

Quick Reply: Racing a "10 sec." Civic Hatchback...