Turbo
16.42%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

N/A power vs. FI

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nitrous can come in at pretty low rpm and carry all the way to top works great till the bottle goes empty.
Turbos properly sized can come in pretty low also and have great area under the curve and good torque.
Centrifical supers don't really have very good power under the curve they put out mostly at the higher rpms. This can help traction problems as they come in more slowly and maybe more controllably then say hard hitting turbos.

Nitrous cars can be hard as hell to hook up and sometimes have to use things like progressive setups.
Twin screw also can be hard to hook up down low they have so much torque but they have very nice area under the curves. Not quite as efficient per pound of boost as turbos though.
Magnuson types have great low end torque and good area under the curve but usually fall off top end.

On the street its a bit different. Nitrous is pain as bottles really don't last that long if you like to play a lot. Turbos are great on the street if you can hook up the power. twin screws and magnusons are fun on the street as well, to me prochargers are more fun at the track and maybe highway type of racing.

No remember you can also combine power adders to good effect. nitrous helps elminate any turbo lag and works fine with supers as well and of course fine with NA.

The main advantage to supers and turbos is that you can go far beyond the power levels you can get with NA. 500rwhp is way way too easy with a decent turbo or super setup. 700rwhp is pretty easy and 1000rwhp or more is possible. Can't get those power levels NA. And really most wouldn't want to go much past a 300 shot of spray so again turbos and supers rule for super high hp builds.

There is a decent dyno ls1 book on the market. Forget name I had it but gave it to friend.
I has lots of charts so you can compare the various power adders. They said flat out turbos beat supers for efficiency but twin screws and roots types can win for really low end torque. Nitrous is also great but expensive and don't last long.

Had some actual experience a couple years back ,one buddy had near stock ati lt1 with think around 400rwhp or so and other buddy had ls1 SS with heads,cam,headers and bolt ons. The ls1 consistently beat the ati lt1. The lt1 owner was pissed and tried to crank more boost into his engine around 8 or so. He blew his engine. Ringlands went bye bye.
So in that instance the NA car won but no dyno numbers on the lt1. The ls1 has done 420rwhp.forget the torque. He has added nitrous to it now.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
that's the thing, which can get more tq in the lower RPMS??...to me that would be the difference
roots blower or spray would provide you with the best torque curve. in all honesty the question is way to vague.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
I'm glad you brought that up. I'm trying to prove a point that an N/A car with the same power (RWHP) as a FI car will pull harder (better ET). I think an N/A car is capable of making much more power under the curve and result in a better (ET). I'm trying to see who would all agree with this statement. Hence I made the poll and tried not to be biased to get an honest opinion. Looks like some couldn't read the op and i'm not sure what was so hard to understand. All the cars have 500rwhp, which should win in a drag race?

The discussion has everything to do with power curves, cuz that's what really matters. And that's the point I am trying to prove with someone.

Sure we could get real technical and say each engine is different. Some need FI and some do great N/A...i think LS motors make great power N/A others may not and thats what i meant about getting "technical"
your tapped if you thing that your n/a car is making more power under the curve than a roots blown car. also in all honesty power under the curve isnt as big of a factor as you would think. how much time do you spend under the curve in a 1/4 mile race??
Old 03-08-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TAtoad
everythings the same including power curve and torque curve???? i think thats what would settle this. i think NA would win with a more progressive power curve
If we're talking stock cubes, it'd probably have the WORST power curve actually, a small powerband very high in the rpm range compared to the other choices.

Area under the curve strictly, positive displacement supercharger or small sized turbos wins...

Nitrous is a totally different story.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dynotune04
your tapped if you thing that your n/a car is making more power under the curve than a roots blown car. also in all honesty power under the curve isnt as big of a factor as you would think. how much time do you spend under the curve in a 1/4 mile race??
You're absolutely right... But more curve equals more fun! At least for me.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bboyferal
You're absolutely right... But more curve equals more fun! At least for me.
i do to for street driving
Old 03-09-2009, 01:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Divided
I vote blown. Cant get enough of the wine.
+1

ANd nice car........I had one too.....take your roll bar off and that was just it....Your's is teh first MG Vert I've seen outside of mine.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

nice sig...lol
Old 03-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A 500 hp NA car and a 500 hp FI car are completely different animals. I had a 500+ rwhp na motor in my car that I sprayed with another 350 or so of nitrous. My car was a true daily driver with AC, navigation, stereo, power everything but I was constantly wanting it to be quiter. As stated above, power under the curve is where it's at. Assuming that you could hook all the cars equally, the roots style blower will have a very flat power and torque curve and would crush the 60' time of the NA car.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

The only determining common factor being 500rwhp, I would go with the N/A engine. Everything else being the equal, the car that could bring it's full 500hp to bear earliest would probably win. An FI or Nitrous engine that peaks out at 500 horses is usually weaker down low than an N/A engine with the same peak. Interesting question though.

Quick Reply: N/A power vs. FI