Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

LS1 vs 5.0 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RSbeast
I like and have owned, driven and fucked with damn near all the cars mentioned above either the foxes, LT1s, sn95s, and LS1s.

How in the world do the ford guys on here claim ignorance to stock high 13s car IF the timing is bumped and the usual 'tricks' are done, vs. a stalled and geared auto car; an LS1 for that matter...in THE 1/8th!?!

I mean everyone can go hang out in their prospective forums and closet hate on the rival brand, but come on! There's more than the usual obliviousness in the ford camp too.

I don't see where anyone is really calling the cobra 'junk', but it's way outdated and not really that fast. As-cast GT40s suck *****, stock exhaust sucks *****, 3:08s suck *****, the 'baby' cam increase from what? Like a .440 to a .460 lift? If? Sure the 1.7s help but still. Furthermore YES a full h/c/i 302 will do right around 300whp. YES, it becomes a weight game/traction drivers race at a point, but mostly in an sn95.
Foxes CAN get light, yes, but we're talking full weight factory. Not a stripped LX/notch. A cam only LS1 on a good tune, WILL BEAT a 330rwhp fox if the dude has a heavier GT, that doesn't hook or is geared incorrectly. A well setup car for hooking MIGHT, reverse the tables, but you sure as hell aren't running away on the big end, esp from a roll.
I will say a proper h/c/i blown 92 should WALK the norm h/c/i LS1 as if you did it right, 15psi yeilds about 500rwhp in a car you can make pretty light....but hands freaking down it's cheaper to make the numbers n/a in an LS1 if you're not buying used hand-me-down parts.

//rant.
Call me crazy, but I dont' think any 'mustang' owner in this thread said the Cobra would win or even had a chance. If so, please quote it as I over looked it. Also, the ones claiming ignorance (mostly me and 88blackGT) are referring to certain members and BS being thrown. Are you saying that a 93 Cobra is a 15 sec car?...low mid 15s?..hell, HIGH 14s? Are you saying the 215 isn't an under-rating? Are you saying numbers printed on a paper from factory specs are all that matters in a race? Are you saying it's not obvious that a 302 with HCI wouldn't have a chance against a Cammed 346ci LS? THOSE are the comments we are referring too. Again, not a single stang guy in here said the cobra even had a chance, let alone would win.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
im calm, just referring to the 215 rating

215rwhp from a stock '93-95 Cobra is pretty realistic, give or take a few horses.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

stock 5.0's > <stock LT1/LS1
get over it ford fans
Old 03-30-2009, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

It might then be pertinent to elborate rather than generalize then, since appearently no-one can mind read your stated 'ignorance' .

Did you even read what I wrote? Yeah, not a single stang guy. Other than the article showing how 'close' they were to an Lt1. If you want to get pissy with the world, perhaps you should state which views you disagree with, since we seem to be on the same page with the stang getting it's **** pushed in.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RSbeast
It might then be pertinent to elborate rather than generalize then, since appearently no-one can mind read your stated 'ignorance' .

Did you even read what I wrote? Yeah, not a single stang guy. Other than the article showing how 'close' they were to an Lt1. If you want to get pissy with the world, perhaps you should state which views you disagree with, since we seem to be on the same page with the stang getting it's **** pushed in.
If I quoted and referred to all of them....I'd set a freaking record with multi quotes.

pissy with the world?...Hmm..as i recall it, I made my comments before yours. Talk about getting pissy over nothing holy crap.

Yep..I didn't read what you wrote...I only quoted and replied It's simple..I made a comment, you took to personally and thought I was referring to you....how about next time you simply ASK if you were the one I was talking about.

Such a whiner baby today.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

HA! Sorry this thread has just turned into something else the OP hadn't inteneded it to. Still makes me laugh though. I give ford people a hard time about their fords as a joke, and they do the same back. I didn't know people would take stuff so seriously espically something wrote on the internet.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ponygt65
Call me crazy, but I dont' think any 'mustang' owner in this thread said the Cobra would win or even had a chance. If so, please quote it as I over looked it. Also, the ones claiming ignorance (mostly me and 88blackGT) are referring to certain members and BS being thrown. Are you saying that a 93 Cobra is a 15 sec car?...low mid 15s?..hell, HIGH 14s? Are you saying the 215 isn't an under-rating? Are you saying numbers printed on a paper from factory specs are all that matters in a race? Are you saying it's not obvious that a 302 with HCI wouldn't have a chance against a Cammed 346ci LS? THOSE are the comments we are referring too. Again, not a single stang guy in here said the cobra even had a chance, let alone would win.
Hello, read post number 65:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/11336028-post65.html
Saying a stock '93 Cobra would be a "decent race" with a stock LS1 car is hysterical. A "decent race" would be a stock S197 against a stock LS1 car, or better yet a 2010 GT with the track pack with the Mustang at the disadvantage.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99LS6SS
HA! Sorry this thread has just turned into something else the OP hadn't inteneded it to. Still makes me laugh though. I give ford people a hard time about their fords as a joke, and they do the same back. I didn't know people would take stuff so seriously espically something wrote on the internet.
ALot of depends on moods.....if someone's having a bad day, it'll show....after all we are all conversing, just typing on a board instead of in person.

But I get what you mean.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Hello, read post number 65:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/11336028-post65.html
Saying a stock '93 Cobra would be a "decent race" with a stock LS1 car is hysterical. A "decent race" would be a stock S197 against a stock LS1 car, or better yet a 2010 GT with the track pack with the Mustang at the disadvantage.
I said 'win' or have a chance. IMO, that's different than being a decent race. However, I can't speak for the poster. All I can say is a 93 Cobra puts out darn near LT1 ET's (low 14s roughly). Maybe that poster meant, if the cobra was dialed in top notch and the LS had a crappy driver, it would be interesting. I didn't take his post as saying the Cobra had a chance. But that's me.

BTW - Hi!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Teching In

all a 93 cobra is is a gt with 1.7 rocker arms and a cobra intake, i've had my share of cars and the 5.0's suck to build they dont react like an ls1 to bolt ons i had a cam exhaust and a bunch of **** on my 89 gt and it would go 14.6. very disgusting
Old 03-30-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kibZ28
all a 93 cobra is is a gt with 1.7 rocker arms and a cobra intake, i've had my share of cars and the 5.0's suck to build they dont react like an ls1 to bolt ons i had a cam exhaust and a bunch of **** on my 89 gt and it would go 14.6. very disgusting
do you have a clue?
Old 03-30-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
215rwhp from a stock '93-95 Cobra is pretty realistic, give or take a few horses.
gotcha sir i apologize; w/ you mentioning of gts i thought you were going off the stock rating of gts, not rwhp
Old 03-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ponygt65
I said 'win' or have a chance. IMO, that's different than being a decent race. However, I can't speak for the poster. All I can say is a 93 Cobra puts out darn near LT1 ET's (low 14s roughly). Maybe that poster meant, if the cobra was dialed in top notch and the LS had a crappy driver, it would be interesting. I didn't take his post as saying the Cobra had a chance. But that's me.

BTW - Hi!

i have been strip racing for a few years, most of those wins (90 I-roc). alot of those being mustangs but i was just wondering how i would run with that cobra. thanks you guys again and if you stray from the subject thats fine, its better than reading the newspaper! i am gonna run him and i will catch the action on film. i will post just as soon as i race. thanks everyone!!!!
Old 03-30-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

I swear to God I learned a whole bunch about my Fox just reading this thread that I never knew. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: LS1 vs 5.0 Cobra