Old 04-01-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The faster one.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKiller
yea, that's a VERY effective combination. if i decide to cheap out and want to make the cheapest recipe, that's definitely the way I'd do it. auto camaro with built motor cam and juice is 9's motor has to be pretty stout unless it has big cubes. need a built rear too. it's nice to have the power all of the time though, and i'm kinda trying to avoid nitrous if possible... had a bad experience and i don't like filling the bottle
What was your bad experience with nitrous? Also the same guy has a TT Trans Am same basic setup but with a big block. When he ran it at the track it lifted the tires way up in the air and sideways(he 2 stepped it in boost) and he hit the brakes to set it down and cracked the oil pan. He calls that car the Blurple Trans Am because it is the blue purple color. It is rather disgusting.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

This thread is pretty ridiculous if you ask me im surprised Sarge has let it come this far.

should be in bench racing. . .
Old 04-02-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
This thread is pretty ridiculous if you ask me im surprised Sarge has let it come this far.

should be in bench racing. . .
Sorry, figured the Street Racing guys would know the answer. Seems like it takes around 650whp in an efficient car. Built parts behind the power are definitely a plus.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
FMVB = Full Manual Valve Body?

like a auto car that you shift yourself correct?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

moved to bench racing
Old 04-04-2009, 12:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sticks have less drivetrain loss more power reaches the back wheels so if you have two identical cars the stick will win from a roll. Not so certain from a dig if the auto has a stall and good tires.Autos seem to get better 60fts and they are very consistent. With the new generation of six speed autos its getting ever closer between autos and sticks.
With auto you don't have to worry about hitting the rev limiter,short shifting,hitting the wrong gear or completely missing a gear.
Six speeds are still fun but not much fun in heavy traffic. I am converting my 99 ta to auto. Autos work great in turbo cars,build more boost off the line and don't lose boost like manuals when you are shifting. And mostly just sick of stick in town.Hate clutches, hate clutch hydraulics.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=MY99TAWS6;11368843]Sticks have less drivetrain loss more power reaches the back wheels so if you have two identical cars the stick will win from a roll.QUOTE]

Not true sir. Turbo cars for sure LOVE auto's. Also the mph of the roll doesnt affect an auto with a big stall near like a stick. So their are rolls where the auto will win as well.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Don't know about the C5/C6 guys but the C4 crowd only upgrades the halfshafts.

They are lightweight and with the right powertrain in them they can be all sorts of sneaky for straight up top end, twisties or dig.

there are a few c4's out there in the 9's and a couple in the high 8's on the D44.

do a youtube search for LCvette. 1000hp at the crank on the factory diff.daily driver capability (on an LT1 no less) runs on E85.

as far as what engine to make them nasty? there's a damn good reason there is an LS2 in the works
Old 04-22-2009, 03:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stockz
Stick ..PERIOD.. if i was a Girl, GAY, way OLD or wanted to be COMPLETELY BORED while driving ..THEN i would pick an auto.. Now if it was a track only car.. i might go auto.
really and how does that stick feel in your hand, feels good, manly.....hmm
Old 04-23-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

id hope by adding all this power you could do more than just 170... Top speed on the C5's were 186mph and the c6 is even higher I believe. You dont always gotta run 3.73's and 4.11's n ****. I think a 3.42 in a vette would give it plenty of low end grunt and still leave room for the top end while not leaving to many dead spots.

And I'd def say a built 6l80e tranny with the tapshit or whatever the cts-v is using. a small stall bout ehh 2500 2800 would be good hell amybe even a 3000. Theres the dig covered, and still able to pull hard on the highway.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Auto or manual comes down to preference alone. One is not necessarily inherently better than the other. You can be consistent and quick in a manual and you can find or build 6+ speed autos (if roll racing/having multiple gears is your concern). It all comes down to what you want.

Some like autos, others like manuals (and still others, feel the need to talk down autos).
Just get which ever one you prefer to drive more.

I like both, but for daily purposes, I'll stick with my auto.
Manuals are not fun in NYC in rush hour traffic and I've never gotten much of a thrill out of a manual, just doesn't feel any different or more exciting. If anything it's obnoxious and really annoying to mess up a (heel-toe) downshift or miss an upshift on a roadcourse for me...

If you get a thrill out of being the one to physically select and row through the gears (there are of course selectable gear autos, but they are less physically involved) then get a manual. This applies to anyone...

Last edited by DiscerningZ32; 04-23-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

I got a headache from reading/skimming this.

Why?....seriously, why the **** would you want a 9 second 1320 car and a 170 mph for highway and then DD it........mainly what I dont' get, is WHEN THE **** ARE YOU GOING TO RACE TO 170MPH ON A HIGHWAY!~??

maturity/responsibility of some people.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ponygt65

Why?....seriously, why the **** would you want a 9 second 1320 car and a 170 mph for highway and then DD it........mainly what I dont' get, is WHEN THE **** ARE YOU GOING TO RACE TO 170MPH ON A HIGHWAY!~??

Well eventually a 10 second 150mph car just doesn't cut it anymore haha

Seriously though if you think about the number of 9 second bikes that do over 170 why is it so ridiculous to want a car that does it? I think making a car do it is more fun. Although my gixxer 1000 was a blast too...
Old 04-23-2009, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

You can set up an auto with the right stall and gearing out back to hardly have any disadvantage to a 6-speed from a roll. From a dig the auto is and always will be king so my vote goes auto. I absolutely hate automatic muscle cars UNLESS they have a stall then they are a blast to drive. I thought about swapping my blown auto out for a T-56 but I'd miss the stall way too much so I built the 4L60E. Also I think auto cars with big stalls sound absolutely bad *** driving down the road with the rpm's so high. My next f-body will be manual so I have best of both worlds but I love stalled autos and anyone who talks down autos needs to drive one with a nice sized stall. If someone has only driven stock stalled autos then I understand because they are extremely boring and are at a big disadvantage from a roll against a 6-speed.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KingKiller
Well eventually a 10 second 150mph car just doesn't cut it anymore haha

Seriously though if you think about the number of 9 second bikes that do over 170 why is it so ridiculous to want a car that does it? I think making a car do it is more fun. Although my gixxer 1000 was a blast too...
simple. it's moronic to want/need that on the street. why do you need, or rather want a 170mph car on the street? Highway races (admitted by you)......well, there you have it....moronic.

If 10s/150mph 'just doesn't cut it' for street racing, you have a lot of maturing to do IMO. Then again, I laugh at idiots that think 120+ on public roads is 'cool'.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:39 PM
12 Second Club

simple. it's moronic to want/need that on the street. why do you need, or rather want a 170mph car on the street? Highway races (admitted by you)......well, there you have it....moronic.

If 10s/150mph 'just doesn't cut it' for street racing, you have a lot of maturing to do IMO. Then again, I laugh at idiots that think 120+ on public roads is 'cool'.
x2 For both of those posts.

I'm not gunna preach as i used to do it too, but i agree with Mike on this one.

I also think you're goal is kinda unrealistic, a daily driveable car that runs 9's and can do 170. . .

I want a jet engine on my DD with wings that retract so i can fly over traffic at 200miles an hour.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

buy a bugatti veyron. it's capable of being a 9 sec car by upping the boost and will still do 250+
Old 04-26-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stockz
Stick ..PERIOD.. if i was a Girl, GAY, way OLD or wanted to be COMPLETELY BORED while driving ..THEN i would pick an auto.. Now if it was a track only car.. i might go auto.
bahahaha......

The young and the stupid. A stalled auto is the way to go if you are concerned with overall straightline performance.... even on the street.

t56 is alotta fun and you definately feel the power a little bit more.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

thank you for adding some logic to an otherwise illogical thread.

Quick Reply: Best car for dig AND roll racing?