Stick
50.70%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Best car for dig AND roll racing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best car for dig AND roll racing?

What do you guys think is the best car for winning out of the hole and on the highway? What kind of setup do you need for something like that? I'm talking about a car that could go 9's in the 1/4, but still go out on the highway and rip it up from a roll to 170mph
Old 04-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm rather partial to the vettes C% and above ! Perfectly balanced, not heavy, engine is extremely upgradeable, and the suspension is great. What more could you ask for ? They were one of the few cars I feared when I had my STi cause their good in the twisties too ! Plus they can get to 170 in stock form with no problem.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I like C5 and C6's. What does it take to make one run 9's in the 1/4, do 170 on the highway, and still drive around town if you want?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKiller
Yea I like C5 and C6's. What does it take to make one run 9's in the 1/4, do 170 on the highway, and still drive around town if you want?
Money.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

SC or TT ! All motor would include: Higher compression, head porting, exhaust system with elec. cutouts, giant cam, supporting fuel system with some NOS. No weight reduction needed !
Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daz
SC or TT ! All motor would include: Higher compression, head porting, exhaust system with elec. cutouts, giant cam, supporting fuel system with some NOS. No weight reduction needed !
All motor would kinda be annoying to drive around with all that. TT probably the most "daily-driveable", but what do you need to make a TT vette run 9's? Auto or stick? Will the stock IRS handle it, even in a C5 Z?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Auto for dig, and stick for highway!!!! just me! prime example is the STR-8 modules for auto!!! as fat as they are they can move!!!! and I love the way the 03 Cobra's launch on the highway!!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Stick ..PERIOD.. if i was a Girl, GAY, way OLD or wanted to be COMPLETELY BORED while driving ..THEN i would pick an auto.. Now if it was a track only car.. i might go auto.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Money.
Haha of course, let's assume we have SOME money
Old 04-01-2009, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Yea I like my c5 Z, but I think a auto c5 is the **** when it comes to racing. Like my friend in the t78 fox vs the c5... he has a built 4l60 (for racing and he cannot use his arm yet for he was in a hyabusa accident Caddy pulled out in front of him). I really think though that he prefers the auto because I have seen him drive a stick with his usefull arm and he straight walked his friends gto sideways out of a parking lot and did 2 solo hits and did not miss a gear.

Point being Automatic is the perfect shift everytime period. When you have a Turbo or Nitrous car you never have to get out of boost or off of the kit.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Auto for dig, and stick for highway!!!! just me! prime example is the STR-8 modules for auto!!! as fat as they are they can move!!!! and I love the way the 03 Cobra's launch on the highway!!!!
yea auto is def better for the dig and stick for the highway, but if you had to choose one for both to go 9's and to 170 which one would you do? i'm trying to put together a few recipes, for example, a Terminator cobra with 650+whp and a solid rear would do 9's, 170mph, and you could still drive it around town. Also, a 625+whp Supra with a built auto and a big single turbo would do 9's and rocket up to 170mph. What kind of LS powered car could you build to do the same job but better?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stockz
Stick ..PERIOD.. if i was a Girl, GAY, way OLD or wanted to be COMPLETELY BORED while driving ..THEN i would pick an auto.. Now if it was a track only car.. i might go auto.
haha nah not a track only car, very mixed use. how well is a manual transmission gonna handle going 9's at the track though?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kingkiller
yea auto is def better for the dig and stick for the highway, but if you had to choose one for both to go 9's and to 170 which one would you do? I'm trying to put together a few recipes, for example, a terminator cobra with 650+whp and a solid rear would do 9's, 170mph, and you could still drive it around town. Also, a 625+whp supra with a built auto and a big single turbo would do 9's and rocket up to 170mph. What kind of ls powered car could you build to do the same job but better?

ls7(.)
Old 04-01-2009, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

haha nah not a track only car, very mixed use. how well is a manual transmission gonna handle going 9's at the track though?
+1 Ok I was trying to do Homework for my next professor but whatever... A guy I know who lives near me has a 99 Camaro. It is a Automatic 4l60 that is built and he has a progressive nitrous shot, much like Austin my friend in the C5's setup. The guy I know (who is a lawyer) runs 9.56's or so and can streets the car very easy. It is the stock cubic inch engine with forged internals, heads, nitrous cam, and nitrous. He said that including buying the car he may have 28k in it.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Roger Z06
Yea I like my c5 Z, but I think a auto c5 is the **** when it comes to racing. Like my friend in the t78 fox vs the c5... he has a built 4l60 (for racing and he cannot use his arm yet for he was in a hyabusa accident Caddy pulled out in front of him). I really think though that he prefers the auto because I have seen him drive a stick with his usefull arm and he straight walked his friends gto sideways out of a parking lot and did 2 solo hits and did not miss a gear.

Point being Automatic is the perfect shift everytime period. When you have a Turbo or Nitrous car you never have to get out of boost or off of the kit.
ya, auto c5's are sick, but to get one to do 9's, 170, and drive around town, you would need a built motor with juice or boost. juice is cool, but i kinda like to have the power available all of the time. so that means built auto with boost c5 corvette. you would need a built trans for sure. how would the stock IRS hold up though? would you have to replace it?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
ls7(.)
as in c6 z06?
Old 04-01-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Roger Z06
+1 Ok I was trying to do Homework for my next professor but whatever... A guy I know who lives near me has a 99 Camaro. It is a Automatic 4l60 that is built and he has a progressive nitrous shot, much like Austin my friend in the C5's setup. The guy I know (who is a lawyer) runs 9.56's or so and can streets the car very easy. It is the stock cubic inch engine with forged internals, heads, nitrous cam, and nitrous. He said that including buying the car he may have 28k in it.
yea, that's a VERY effective combination. if i decide to cheap out and want to make the cheapest recipe, that's definitely the way I'd do it. auto camaro with built motor cam and juice is 9's motor has to be pretty stout unless it has big cubes. need a built rear too. it's nice to have the power all of the time though, and i'm kinda trying to avoid nitrous if possible... had a bad experience and i don't like filling the bottle
Old 04-01-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

so basically an f-body with a built auto, built motor, built rear, and boost will do it. well, it will do the 9's part, the 170mph part maybe not? i guess you would need to WOT shift into OD?
Old 04-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

so basically an f-body with a built auto, built motor, built rear, and boost will do it. well, it will do the 9's part, the 170mph part maybe not? i guess you would need to WOT shift into OD?
I say a C5 setup the same way would be better due to weight. I've seen vidz of C5's doing it but I don't know what they did as far as the IRS.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

as in c6 z06?
yep 7.0L of pure POWA!!!

Quick Reply: Best car for dig AND roll racing?