Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

H/C LT1 vs. Harley....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
very very much so...at least the majority of them, they're just loud and have that "racking" sound and many people that drive them feel the need to rev every ******* chance they get

I don't doubt that they COULD sound good, kinda like a ls1 car with a loudmouth or straight pipes COULD sound good...but it would require a trip to the muffler shop and installation of new product

they rate right up there with fartpipe hondas on the annoying exhaust scale
Well said
Old 05-10-2009, 01:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by stumprrp
you guys think harleys sound like ****? hmm... interesting.

you should win pretty easy OP
I'm kind of surprised everyone is saying that, I personally think they sound incredible. The classic Harley Davidson sound they make inbetween shifts is sick. My buddy just got a Sportster and we went out today and that thing sounds just pure awesome and it's only an 883. I hope to buy a Softail next summer, I personally love loud bikes. My dad has a Kawasaki Mean Streak 1600 with Vance and Hines and it definetly has a more deeper and cleaner tone than any Harley but can't touch that legendary sound. Won't lie it can be annoying in certain situations to other people and some people show off a little too much but as an overall pro, a loud bike is safer than one that is quiet. You need all you can these days to get the people around you to actually be aware that your there.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
I'm kind of surprised everyone is saying that, I personally think they sound incredible. The classic Harley Davidson sound they make inbetween shifts is sick. My buddy just got a Sportster and we went out today and that thing sounds just pure awesome and it's only an 883. I hope to buy a Softail next summer, I personally love loud bikes. My dad has a Kawasaki Mean Streak 1600 with Vance and Hines and it definetly has a more deeper and cleaner tone than any Harley but can't touch that legendary sound. Won't lie it can be annoying in certain situations to other people and some people show off a little too much but as an overall pro, a loud bike is safer than one that is quiet. You need all you can these days to get the people around you to actually be aware that your there.
I think this is how most people, including myself think. They do sound good, they sound very "mean", but when they rev it upever 5 seconds it gets really annoying. I thought my car sounded badass when it was running straight headers, for about 10 minutes before my ears started hurting. (btw i only ran straight headers because we installed new ones and cut out the cats, so i had to take it to a shop to weld in new piping)
Old 05-12-2009, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

I can see where alot of you guys think Harleys may be annoying. It seems like everyone and their grandpa have one. And theres always someone that feels the need to take out their baffles and be the loudest baddest. But not all of them sound bad though by any means. Find a cammed Harley with a good exhaust (vance & hines, bassani etc) and tell me it sounds like **** loping at an Idle or WOT. Just like any performance toy if you have the cash Harleys can be very quick. Btw I have a 1200 and think its a fun ride. A few years later I got the Z. But I still go riding whenever I get a chance. Gotta love the gas mileage and the fact you can actually be comfortable riding it.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah last week i raced 2 harleys, no clue on models but they were like brand new. They blew by me when the light turned green i cranked it up an drowned them out with straight exhaust after we got done racing an hit the next light he said my car was to loud. LOL
Old 05-18-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it all depends on what Harley he has, but you should def beat him if you are running low 12s. with it not being a vrod, he would need a considerable amount of work to run that quick. I just bought a '07 Harley Street Bob, and it has the 1600cc motor. that thing moves. from what ive been reading on forums and such, it will do a 13.00 on a perfect run. put a stage 1 kit on them, and a good rider can make it do low 13s all day. im going to take mine to the track this year, so ill def post up on here what it runs. I also have a 2 into 1 thunder header exhaust. You tube thunder header on street bob. the 2-1 exhaust gives it a great tone. i think it sounds amazing.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 69lemansguy
it all depends on what Harley he has, but you should def beat him if you are running low 12s. with it not being a vrod, he would need a considerable amount of work to run that quick. I just bought a '07 Harley Street Bob, and it has the 1600cc motor. that thing moves. from what ive been reading on forums and such, it will do a 13.00 on a perfect run. put a stage 1 kit on them, and a good rider can make it do low 13s all day. im going to take mine to the track this year, so ill def post up on here what it runs. I also have a 2 into 1 thunder header exhaust. You tube thunder header on street bob. the 2-1 exhaust gives it a great tone. i think it sounds amazing.
A buddy of mine just bought a brand new blacked out Street Bob. Beautiful bikes! I like how they have an old school touch to them. He's really got me wanting one of those but I've always wanted a Softail Night Train so I'll probaly end up with one of those but those Street Bobs are sweet rides.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:35 AM
12 Second Club

Harley's sound like ****. I'd rather listen to a crying baby for 20 minutes then a harley for 5. It's so gad damned annoying when they think they have to rev those slow overpriced pieces of **** 30 times a minute at stop signs to keep them running.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chrisdacarnut
Harley's sound like ****. I'd rather listen to a crying baby for 20 minutes then a harley for 5. It's so gad damned annoying when they think they have to rev those slow overpriced pieces of **** 30 times a minute at stop signs to keep them running.
I'd rather hear a harley revving than a ricer anyday. I'd like to know what kind of bike you think sounds good then I think the sound of a procharged 110 C.I. HD might change your mind or at least make you deaf. But to each and its own... You dont exactly have a bunch of bike guys on here saying all smallblocks sound like ***. Not flaming, just food for thought.

Last edited by LT1forever; 05-24-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1forever
I'd rather hear a harley revving than a ricer anyday. I'd like to know what kind of bike you think sounds good then I think the sound of a procharged 110 C.I. HD might change your mind or at least make you deaf. But to each and its own... You dont exactly have a bunch of bike guys on here saying all smallblocks sound like ***. Not flaming, just food for thought.
That's probably because smallblocks sound good... and harley's sound like *** lol
Old 05-30-2009, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

whats the use..... different strokes for different folks. I suggest you go race a decently modded Harley from a dig. After get your *** handed to at least you can still say the bike sounds like ***.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Teching In

whats the use..... different strokes for different folks. I suggest you go race a decently modded Harley from a dig. After get your *** handed to at least you can still say the bike sounds like ***.
Who would get their *** handed to them by a cruiser from a dig or not? Not I.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

been ther, done that, wasted my time.
a friend of my cousin was convinced he could beat any corvette or camero on the road z06 included in his hooked up harley. his words.
cliff notes: lound and annoying as hell, sounds like ***. slow. made excuses.
refered me to his sport biker boyz homies.then started badmouthing gm trucks. diesels are better,ls engines suck, blah blah blah.
is one of those dudes that has to have the last word. sore loser
Old 06-01-2009, 11:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt1forever
Whats the use..... Different strokes for different folks. I suggest you go race a decently modded harley from a dig. After get your *** handed to at least you can still say the bike sounds like ***.
lol@u
Old 08-09-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

as someone who owns 2 harleys plus my wife has 1 and someone who has had countless crotch rockets and metric cruisers....i love em all and every one of them are great for the intended purpose. and if you have a 12 sec car you will be ok as long as he is stock BUT a built 114 cu.in. harley with a good rider will most likely upset you. not that he has 1. we are building a stock looking (to someone whos not a bike person) night train with a 120 cu.in. elbruto with a custom (hidden) two stage nitrous system that will be daily driven and will make alot of sport bikes and hot rods want to cry. so dont underestimate the loud old mans harley.....u may go home with empty pockets.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blown99bergerssclone
as someone who owns 2 harleys plus my wife has 1 and someone who has had countless crotch rockets and metric cruisers....i love em all and every one of them are great for the intended purpose. and if you have a 12 sec car you will be ok as long as he is stock BUT a built 114 cu.in. harley with a good rider will most likely upset you. not that he has 1. we are building a stock looking (to someone whos not a bike person) night train with a 120 cu.in. elbruto with a custom (hidden) two stage nitrous system that will be daily driven and will make alot of sport bikes and hot rods want to cry. so dont underestimate the loud old mans harley.....u may go home with empty pockets.
Unless its a 9 sec bike.. lol anyway, what kind of numbers are you guys trying to get?

Quick Reply: H/C LT1 vs. Harley....