Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

So it got started ....

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So it got started ....

Alright before you read any farther this is a to be announced race, has not happened yet but this is how it got started.

So I was at my apartment at college the other night about 9:00 I take off in my Camaro to leave real fast to pick my room mate up (I only drove the car down here to put gauges in it during the week for the upcoming turbo re-install) on the way out of the back gate I hear a guy yell "Slow!" I look around see a skinny guy getting into a corola or something so I dont think anything of it.

I come back in the same gate I went out about 20 min later and the guy is posted up on the hood of a 400hp GTO, I stop roll down the window and the guy is like:

How much power you making?
More than that Goat your propped up on
I doubt that!
Lets find out then ..
(at this point he is at my window looking at my gauges (which are turned off so he cant read them)
not tonight man ive been drinking what are you doing tomorrow
im headed out of town for the weekend I dont keep the car here but it will be back in a few weeks i'll get up with you what apt u in
98 my name is Hunter
Alright, ever had yours on the dyno? How much is it making?
480 to the rear wheels, made 527 to the Flywheel
ohh alright then
i'll get up with you in a few weeks when im back in town..

so I observe the whole time that the car is on stock rims and tires no radials or anything and he didn't notice the intercooler on mine or the boost gauge or anything so my question is whats the chances he is really making that much and or even knows what it makes to the FW? I heard the car leave later that night might have had a SMALL cam but sounded like full exhuaust im guessing long tubes and a CAI is all it has, what does it take to get that model gto to 480 at the wheels?
Old 09-09-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

I raced a dude with LS2 Full exhaust, intake and tune.. made 385rwhp.. im sure ull b fine if he is in fact BSing - and assuming ur making good power with ur setup
Old 09-09-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sujomatt
I raced a dude with LS2 Full exhaust, intake and tune.. made 385rwhp.. im sure ull b fine if he is in fact BSing - and assuming ur making good power with ur setup
I am hoping to keep my down to about 530ish .. we will just see what it makes, you are everywhere on this form, thanks for all your input and following my junk.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's an LS2, it would take a pretty strong H/C/I setup to make that kind of power. If it's an LS1, it would take a ridiculously strong H/C/I setup to make that kind of power. Or he could be running a cam and nitrous.

Is your setup running and tuned? Do you have tires?

There's a bench racing forum, by the way. It's in the Racer's Lounge.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

I think he reserved this post for the actual race when it happens lol, go from a dig and make him cry. ahaha

Originally Posted by Super Slow SS
I am hoping to keep my down to about 530ish .. we will just see what it makes, you are everywhere on this form, thanks for all your input and following my junk.
yea - its the only way to learn! and i have free time at work sometimes so this is what i do lol
Old 09-09-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
If it's an LS2, it would take a pretty strong H/C/I setup to make that kind of power. If it's an LS1, it would take a ridiculously strong H/C/I setup to make that kind of power. Or he could be running a cam and nitrous.
it is an ls2 car

Is your setup running and tuned? Do you have tires?
It was setup and tuned on the rear mound I just bought the frount mount kit and got it and the heads/springs installed, so it will be tuned next week
There's a bench racing forum, by the way. It's in the Racer's Lounge.
Ohh its only on the bench for a week. Just getting the prep work out of the way.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

He could easily have a small nitrous cam and a 200 shot and put the hurt on you. Probably though just a small cammed, exhaust car which you will walk away from. BTW people are getting right around 500 rwhp, + - a few, with aggressive heads and cam setups and spraying ontop of it on the GTO forums on the stock shortblock. Been a few 600 + rwhp ones like that.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:56 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

I find it funny that you open the conversation with " More than that goat you're proped on " and then you come here to ask for our advice.

As PSM said, it will take a good H/C/FAST combo to run 480rwhp.

Just race him and find out, in the meantime, this is Bench Racing and since these races usually don't pan out, it's going to Bench. When and If you do actually race, I will move it back.

Good luck.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
I find it funny that you open the conversation with " More than that goat you're proped on " and then you come here to ask for our advice...

Good luck.
Im not really asking for advice so much as just wondering what the odds are you know to get a feel for how everyone else thinks it might be, I just like to talk junk if I knew it was a 1000RWHP supra I would have still said that just to get a rise out of the guy, I like to do it for fun even if im going to get killed.

But I thought about the nitrous thing I was going to ask his tq number but I didnt give him any numbers so I felt it would be wrong. And whats the chances he knows the FWHP on a spray car, thats the part that got me thinking he was talking out his ... well you know.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:07 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Slow SS
Im not really asking for advice so much as just wondering what the odds are you know to get a feel for how everyone else thinks it might be, I just like to talk junk if I knew it was a 1000RWHP supra I would have still said that just to get a rise out of the guy, I like to do it for fun even if im going to get killed.

But I thought about the nitrous thing I was going to ask his tq number but I didnt give him any numbers so I felt it would be wrong. And whats the chances he knows the FWHP on a spray car, thats the part that got me thinking he was talking out his ... well you know.
I was just busting your chops bud. I think you'll do fine. When you race him, I'll move it over to SRK or you can start a new thread. Good luck.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
I find it funny that you open the conversation with " More than that goat you're proped on " and then you come here to ask for our advice.
Agreed.

I had to read it a second time getting the red/black mixed up then just realized..nope, OP just has a touch of arrogance.

I do have one question though OP......HTH do you know what HP your motor has and the flywheel to the point that you reference 527? Even if you did do a motor dyno run (which I'd be surprised), I'm sure it was tuned after it was installed.....and only a 9% DT loss?...you have the most efficient drivetrain I've ever heard of. Congrats.

Sorry man, I'm just in a tad disbelief that you responded arrogantly to that guy without knowing what he had, then post in here asking what they it 'might have' (after being cocky), then post 480/527 numbers. The ignorance level seems to be high with this one.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will was this guy i bet the only mods he mighs have is a loudmouth catback and an intake setup. Maybe a tune, maybe. Most guys who have a built car wont just yell out "SLOW" to a nice car that drives by, usually people with knowledge have more respect then that.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 180ls1
you will was this guy i bet the only mods he mighs have is a loudmouth catback and an intake setup. Maybe a tune, maybe. Most guys who have a built car wont just yell out "SLOW" to a nice car that drives by, usually people with knowledge have more respect then that.
My Bad OP....I didn't catch that part in your story.....that'd probably make me respond like you did.

Still kinda curious how you come up with 527 though.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ he has light weight lug nuts, DUH!!! everyone (including ricers) know those free up tons of power from parasitic loss.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

527fwhp does not equal 480rw
thru a gto drivetrain and stock wheels.
about 422rw atleast and 445-450rw at best
Old 09-25-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ponygt65

Still kinda curious how you come up with 527 though.
That was not me, he said that to me, thus my question and the single thing that made me think he was shooting off BS right out of the gate.

Quick Reply: So it got started ....