Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Stick shift or auto?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pat-ls101
This is true but, when you roll race put it in first or second depending what speed your going. If its anything 60 over i let the computer do the work
It's not just the downshifting, even if an equally modded A4 was held in the right gear the M6 would pull on it pretty good from a roll.

With the little mods I have I ran the below time with bald 245 tires and 2.73 gears I might add So for all you hating M6 drivers put that in your pipe and smoke it! haha
No offense at all here but that time is a bad example a what an auto is capable of in the 1/4
Old 09-13-2009, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
they dont do the same thing. try running an auto on a road coarse.
When I say they do they same things, I mean as they both can go fast in a straight line. And, I personally wouldnt pick a auto for a road course but, I have heard of it being done...
Old 09-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Teching In

I truly wish automatics didn't exist - or at least that people had to learn to drive a stick before getting their drivers license.

Having to learn how to drive with a stick would force new drivers to actually learn some driving skills. Maybe some of these people who shouldn't have their license but are on the road would not be so such terrible drivers if they had to learn more than how to point a car in the general direction they wish to go and pass a 20 question True/False quiz before we let them drive a car on the streets.

And with a stick - it would reduce the # of people on their cell phone and eating lunch and reading and the other variety of non-driving activities people seem to think are OK to do while driving. Yes you can do all these with a manual vehicle, but if you aren't a good driver, it isn't going to go well.

Never going to happen of course, but I can always dream.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
It's not just the downshifting, even if an equally modded A4 was held in the right gear the M6 would pull on it pretty good from a roll.

No offense at all here but that time is a bad example a what an auto is capable of in the 1/4
Ok, and thats why I have pulled SEVERAL m6's from rolls?? And, how is that a bad example? A car with a tune, cat back, and airlid trapping 107-108? Pls enlighten me here.....
Old 09-13-2009, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

You may have pulled them I'm not arguing that, but with two equally modded cars the M6 will own any A4 from a roll. I've proven that time and time and time again. Also like I said I meant no offense by that it's not a terrible time, it's just that I have seen many equally modded A4's run faster (and M6's go quite a bit faster) so for this particular argument it's not the greatest example.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
You may have pulled them I'm not arguing that, but with two equally modded cars the M6 will own any A4 from a roll. I've proven that time and time and time again. Also like I said I meant no offense by that it's not a terrible time, it's just that I have seen many equally modded A4's run faster (and M6's go quite a bit faster) so for this particular argument it's not the greatest example.
Ofcourse, theres ALWAYS something faster ALWAYS. What im getting at is for a car with a lid, tune, and catback thats not BAD. And, according to everyone here, a a4 none the less.

And, im not saying a a4 is the best from a roll. But, ive seen it go both ways... ive seen m6's and a4's neck and neck with equal mods...
Old 09-13-2009, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ofcourse, theres ALWAYS something faster ALWAYS. What im getting at is for a car with a lid, tune, and catback thats not BAD. And, according to everyone here, a a4 none the less.

And, im not saying a a4 is the best from a roll. But, ive seen it go both ways... ive seen m6's and a4's neck and neck with equal mods...
bluntly put, because the manual has less drivetrain loss. If both the cars are making the exact same hp (which is highly unlikely, every car is different), going from a roll, the manual will win. even if the auto was holding it's gear, the manual can bring the revs up before the go, and has less drivetrain loss.

that being said... imho if you plan on going faster than 11 seconds, get an auto. any slower... try a manual.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by danhr
bluntly put, because the manual has less drivetrain loss. If both the cars are making the exact same hp (which is highly unlikely, every car is different), going from a roll, the manual will win. even if the auto was holding it's gear, the manual can bring the revs up before the go, and has less drivetrain loss.

that being said... imho if you plan on going faster than 11 seconds, get an auto. any slower... try a manual.
I respect your opinion BUT, I have myself found that the 6speeds are not for me. Maybe its my busted ankle, or im a bad driver hahaha! This is my first auto fbody and I love it. And, although I dont plan to go faster than 11.5 but for me I like the auto because its very consistent, good on my ankle, and I dont do much if any street racing. But, this is all based off my PERSONAL experience.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by marriard
I truly wish automatics didn't exist - or at least that people had to learn to drive a stick before getting their drivers license.

Having to learn how to drive with a stick would force new drivers to actually learn some driving skills. Maybe some of these people who shouldn't have their license but are on the road would not be so such terrible drivers if they had to learn more than how to point a car in the general direction they wish to go and pass a 20 question True/False quiz before we let them drive a car on the streets.

And with a stick - it would reduce the # of people on their cell phone and eating lunch and reading and the other variety of non-driving activities people seem to think are OK to do while driving. Yes you can do all these with a manual vehicle, but if you aren't a good driver, it isn't going to go well.

Never going to happen of course, but I can always dream.
right the hell on. agree with everything you said.

sweet goat by the way......dont see too many 71s, let alone a gold 71. ever since i got my gold 78 ive had a soft spot for the color.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

Manual is a shitty setup if you plan on making real power. That being said, it's not a valid argument for people making 350 hp to the wheels.

Do I like my auto? Sure do. Do I give a **** what other people think? Nope, that's why I have a stall and MTs. I don't road race, and rush hour traffic is a daily occurence. If I wanted something manual, an f-body would not be it
Old 09-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Stock to lightly modded M6 or if you just like manuals, but if you are or plan on doing heavy mods A4 is the way to go.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

only flaw with my stalled auto with gears was horrible gas mileage, i know its not a hybrid but it sucked in traffic. but if you plan to make power plan to dish out 2500 for a built 4l60e because they will only take soo much. m6's will hold more power with an upgraded clutch but for consistency and hard launches the a4 is the way.

and for whoever says autos are easy to drive, launching at 3k on the stall and coming out of the hole on a 150 shot, tell me you dont have to control the car! you may not have to shift gears but keeping the car straight down the track can be a bit much sometimes. i love my 6speed in the V and wouldnt go auto unless it was a track car.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I personally....will never own a performance car with an auto..unless I dont' really have a choice.

Having said that, it really comes downt o what you want, and if you've driven manuals for a long time, maybe a change will increase your fun factor cause it's not the same ole same ole. IF you do go with an auto, I'd say a stall is a necessity in your case.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:53 AM
***Repost Police***

I can't stand driving automatic cars... as long as I have a choice, my cars will be manuals.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Granny shifting, not double clutching like you should.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gaunt
Old 09-14-2009, 02:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ponygt65
I personally....will never own a performance car with an auto..unless I have a vagina.
Is there something you want to tell us? lol.

-Mark
Old 09-14-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Is there something you want to tell us? lol.

-Mark

******' Mark.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaunt
Old 09-14-2009, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ponygt65

******' Mark.

Quick Reply: Stick shift or auto?