0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

can i take this mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unit213
It's all good bro...just conversation...not debating. The real question is, does
removing the screen actually do anything for you? I'm of the mindset that
every little bit helps when you're talking about restricting airflow. but regardless, it's definitely not a make or break mod that's for sure!
Theres nothing wrong with a good debate. I quite like it.

I just bowed out because I knew I was heavily out gunned in the LSX experience department.

The reason I said anything negative about a descreened MAF, is because when I had the cam installed, we had a lot of trouble getting it to idle correctly. My tuner at the time said that it was because the MAF had been descreened. I was told that it was a mod that did not gain you anything at all, and only caused problems when trying to tune it.

I understand that it is a slight restriction in air flow, but I was told it also distributed the air to the MAF needles in a more consistant way, making tuning easier.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Theres nothing wrong with a good debate. I quite like it.

I just bowed out because I knew I was heavily out gunned in the LSX experience department.

The reason I said anything negative about a descreened MAF, is because when I had the cam installed, we had a lot of trouble getting it to idle correctly. My tuner at the time said that it was because the MAF had been descreened. I was told that it was a mod that did not gain you anything at all, and only caused problems when trying to tune it.

I understand that it is a slight restriction in air flow, but I was told it also distributed the air to the MAF needles in a more consistant way, making tuning easier.

Sounds to me like your tuner was running out of ideas to point the car not running right at so he threw that out there. I have never seen descreening the MAF cause problems. This is a mod that I have always done on even cars with stock tuned and it has never...ever ever..never never ever caused a problem. If my tuner tells me descreening the MAF will cause the car to not run right I am going to another tuner. Just my $.02
Old 09-28-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Sounds to me like your tuner was running out of ideas to point the car not running right at so he threw that out there. I have never seen descreening the MAF cause problems. This is a mod that I have always done on even cars with stock tuned and it has never...ever ever..never never ever caused a problem. If my tuner tells me descreening the MAF will cause the car to not run right I am going to another tuner. Just my $.02
I did go to a different tuner. I wouldn't trust the old tuner to put air in my tires. That guy screwed me pretty good, and is a pretty well known sponsor in my area.

Thread hijacked.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Descreening a MAF does cause issues in SOME cars.

I would NEVER, EVER descreen a maf in a mustang but the 4th gen fbods are different in that respect. In a mustang there is more 'tubing' from the filter to teh MAF, and bends as well. (modulars here). As a result the air doesn't flow smoothly so the MAF can not pick up an 'even' reading of air flow. As a result, there tends to be issues with idle AND tuning. 90% of the A/M CAI issues with mustangs are a direct result with the screen being taken out during install.

In short: It 'can' create a metered airflow problem depending on the car's air way setup.

And Kevin; I wouldn't necessarily go to a different tuner. It really depends on the situation. I may, or may not walk and never go back.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for all the input guys. i have never had any issues with the MAF descreening, and ,me being 16 i just do any little thing to make it a tad bit faster because every thing helps.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ponygt65
Descreening a MAF does cause issues in SOME cars.

I would NEVER, EVER descreen a maf in a mustang but the 4th gen fbods are different in that respect. In a mustang there is more 'tubing' from the filter to teh MAF, and bends as well. (modulars here). As a result the air doesn't flow smoothly so the MAF can not pick up an 'even' reading of air flow. As a result, there tends to be issues with idle AND tuning. 90% of the A/M CAI issues with mustangs are a direct result with the screen being taken out during install.

In short: It 'can' create a metered airflow problem depending on the car's air way setup.

And Kevin; I wouldn't necessarily go to a different tuner. It really depends on the situation. I may, or may not walk and never go back.
Interesting stuff. Thanks for the information.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1998_trans_am_ls1
thanks for all the input guys. i have never had any issues with the MAF descreening, and ,me being 16 i just do any little thing to make it a tad bit faster because every thing helps.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would NEVER, EVER descreen a maf in a mustang...
I'll yank ever screen from every kind of vehicle, just like I did with the Cobra...just like everyone has done with their Cobras...even the N/A Cobras.
It doesn't hurt tuning issue at all. Agree to disagree on this one Pony.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

best thing i ever did was take off the screen AND the maf! and made more powa!
Old 09-28-2009, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

For comparison I ran my buddies 01 GT his was a 5 speed with a handheld tuner, CAI, X pipe, catback, and another thing I can't think of. I had my 98 TA and its an auto also when it had just a catback and free mods, I might have had a P&P TB but not positive and I beat him from every race, roll, dead stop, even me completely outta my power band and him banging gears. I always got him by at least one car. So that should be a good comparison.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

stewaj11- thanks for the comparison. thats a pretty close one.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'll yank ever screen from every kind of vehicle, just like I did with the Cobra...just like everyone has done with their Cobras...even the N/A Cobras.
I agree
Old 09-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1998_trans_am_ls1
16 y/o ..... please dont do this race on the street, i been reading too many stories recently about races ending up in someone getting killed.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree
Correct...we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not saying it will always cause a problem and I'm not saying that every car may have a problem. The more bends and 'curves' in the tubing the greater chance of an uneven flow of air. The sensor can't read it correctly if it is not 'even' (so to speak).
Originally Posted by NemeSS
best thing i ever did was take off the screen AND the maf! and made more powa!
I'd love to hear how you got more power by removing the screen....let alone the Maf....unless you just be bein' sarcastic. LOL
Old 09-28-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ Speed density tune, a stock maf will hold back a fast 90 setup pretty badly if that is what he had
Old 09-28-2009, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 180ls1
^ Speed density tune, a stock maf will hold back a fast 90 setup pretty badly if that is what he had
I was bein' sarcasitc cause he said he removed the sensor.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was bein' sarcasitc cause he said he removed the sensor.
sarcasm fails me once again on the internet

hey you are a ford guy do you know much about Fox mustangs?

Last edited by 180ls1; 09-29-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:45 AM
On The Tree

Only way I see a 2V GT being a threat is if the O.P can't drive.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Heater
Only way I see a 2V GT being a threat is if the O.P can't drive.
Well with him being 16 years old I can see this as a possibility.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 180ls1
sarcasm fails me once again on the internet

hey you are a ford guy do you know much about Fox mustangs?
It's cool man.

IDk much about foxes. I'm still learning quite a bit about those. My knowledge is mostly in the classics and modulars. But shoot me a pm and if IDK, I'll tell ya.
Well with him being 16 years old I can see this as a possibility.
Get outta here with your logic K.

Quick Reply: can i take this mustang?