Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Z28 Vs 370z

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Which is going to make more power, given the same CFM of airflow per cylinder and the same boost pressure, with all other variables held constant:

A 3.0L 6 cylinder, or a 6.2L 8 cylinder??
Oh I'd say the 6.2 all the way. Which one doesn't self-destruct during repeated 1-mile runs is another story....
Old 12-08-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daily driven 8 and 9 second supras??

LOL, keep buying into the bullshit.

Since you also seem to have a problem with simple physics, answer me this:

Which is going to make more power, given the same CFM of airflow per cylinder and the same boost pressure, with all other variables held constant:

A 3.0L 6 cylinder, or a 6.2L 8 cylinder??

The fact that you believed something you read in one of those retarded import mags also speaks volumes. Those retards will put anything on the cover to sell mags, even if the car blew up during the testing.

Read my post again boy genius...... I saw it on the cover and then found it online..... yeah they will put anything in mags including the GM and Ford ones......

It is obvious you don't pay any attention to the Supra world or any of the big name Supra shops and what they are doing........

A 6.2 will make more power...... IF it can hold the power stock (it can't)........ you have to ditch everything that is stock on that 6.2 for it to hold the power that the fatory 2JZ block holds and ofen the stock bottom end...... not to mention what the rover blocks are holding............... they are hjust now trying to figure out how to get the LSX block to hold over 1,000hp and not take out bearing's in the process.......

We could keep this going all day though and compare what will make more power........ that 6.2 or 632 BBC........... or a 632 to a 9XX Sonny's motor....

So really to answer your question the 6.2 will make more power but it will not be able to hold it......... stock internals and head(s) for both.

Swap hardware in both and the 6.2 with a turbo can live at about 1,000hp or so, the Supra will take like 1,200 plus if I remember right....... I think the Supra pistons and crank will take like 1500hp......... 6.2 crank and piston's won't......... The Supra block will take like 1,800hp..... the 6.2 block will be in peices with that............

I could go on and on.... lets just let it go

P.S. If you did pay any attention to the Supra world even well known race sites like Yellow Bullet you would know there are to many low 9 sec daily driven Supra's out there to count....... There is even a Porsche 911 Turbo out there that is pretty high on the Texas mile list and last I heard went 9.2 in the quarter with a lot left in it...... It is also a well known daily driver, full interior and A/C.......... it is a 6 banger.......... air cooled also......... Also how many LSX cars are even competative in the standing mile events? How many for the Supra's.

LOL at the self destruct comment.

Top speed mean's RPM's RPM's and the LS stuff tend not to go hand and hand.....

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 12-08-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Read my post again boy genius...... I saw it on the cover and then found it online..... yeah they will put anything in mags including the GM and Ford ones......
Difference is the Ford and GM mags are typically legit numbers and performance quotes. Often the ricer mags don't list anything more than theoretical power numbers, they are a joke.

It is obvious you don't pay any attention to the Supra world or any of the big name Supra shops and what they are doing........
I couldn't give less of a rat's *** what some stupid ricer is doing trying to go fast with a 747 sized turbo on tiny jap engine. There's a difference between a street car and a race car, and those clowns seem to think they are interchangeable. Their definition of "streetable" is that it has 4 wheels and a seat.

A 6.2 will make more power...... IF it can hold the power stock (it can't)........ you have to ditch everything that is stock on that 6.2 for it to hold the power that the fatory 2JZ block holds and ofen the stock bottom end...... not to mention what the rover blocks are holding............... they are hjust now trying to figure out how to get the LSX block to hold over 1,000hp and not take out bearing's in the process.......
You obviously are clueless just like in every other post you've made. What are your qualifications to make such assertations?? You've obviously just read all this crap on the internet and in ricer mags, thats apparent. You wouldn't know a main bearing if it smacked you in the face. The LSX block is rated to 2500HP. Thats how much it can reliably hold. The 6.2 will easily match the 2JZ HP for HP in stock form, guys are easily pushing up to 650WHP with low boost on stock internal LS3's.

Swap hardware in both and the 6.2 with a turbo can live at about 1,000hp or so, the Supra will take like 1,200 plus if I remember right....... I think the Supra pistons and crank will take like 1500hp......... 6.2 crank and piston's won't......... The Supra block will take like 1,800hp..... the 6.2 block will be in peices with that............
The Supras stock pistons and crank will NOT reliably hold 1500HP. You are dreaming. Obviously you have no clue what kind of stress a tiny 3.0L engine would be under at that power level. Bottom line is even if it can do it, its not going to last long at all. The 6.2 uses an aluminum block to save weight. Its not designed to hold 1500HP+. At those power levels you simply get an iron block, such as a 6.0 or LSX. Compare apples with apples.

P.S. If you did pay any attention to the Supra world even well known race sites like Yellow Bullet you would know there are to many low 9 sec daily driven Supra's out there to count
Once again, a ricer's definition of "daily driven" is much different from what the rest of automotive world considers streetable. Running a 3.0L engine on low compression with giant cams and a 90mm turbo with meth injection on 110 octane is not streetable. As always, the ricer's never got the memo though.

....... There is even a Porsche 911 Turbo out there that is pretty high on the Texas mile list and last I heard went 9.2 in the quarter with a lot left in it...... It is also a well known daily driver, full interior and A/C.......... it is a 6 banger.......... air cooled also......... Also how many LSX cars are even competative in the standing mile events? How many for the Supra's.
If people don't enter, they obviously can't be competitive.

Top speed mean's RPM's RPM's and the LS stuff tend not to go hand and hand.....
No clueless, top speed means GEARING. Hence how the ZR1 can hit 205MPH with a redline of 6500RPM.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:22 PM
***Repost Police***

Coming from someone who own's a Honda......... I never never owned anything but GM .
You obviously didn't get the blatant sarcasm... When are we gonna get a :facepalm: smilie?
Old 12-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

The Supras are dominating in the 200+mph club even though there are a few more LSX cars...
Old 12-08-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
You obviously didn't get the blatant sarcasm... When are we gonna get a :facepalm: smilie?
Nope
Old 12-08-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

I couldn't give less of a rat's *** what some stupid ricer is doing trying to go fast with a 747 sized turbo on tiny jap engine. There's a difference between a street car and a race car, and those clowns seem to think they are interchangeable. Their definition of "streetable" is that it has 4 wheels and a seat.

Then how can you bash what you don't know or care about haha?

You obviously are clueless just like in every other post you've made. What are your qualifications to make such assertations?? You've obviously just read all this crap on the internet and in ricer mags, thats apparent. You wouldn't know a main bearing if it smacked you in the face. The LSX block is rated to 2500HP. Thats how much it can reliably hold. The 6.2 will easily match the 2JZ HP for HP in stock form, guys are easily pushing up to 650WHP with low boost on stock internal LS3's.

Find some LSX blocks that are reliably handeling 2500 on any hp level, I hear Phill's is now but it has some extensive main cap area work done.... Please find me some that are holding it with no work done and not eating bearings........ you can't and will not. 6.2 and 650rwhp? I know that, there are some making a little more with ARP hardware..... plenty of 2JZ's with hardware and stock bottom end's making about 900rwhp..... I doubt you will beleive that.

The Supras stock pistons and crank will NOT reliably hold 1500HP. You are dreaming. Obviously you have no clue what kind of stress a tiny 3.0L engine would be under at that power level. Bottom line is even if it can do it, its not going to last long at all. The 6.2 uses an aluminum block to save weight. Its not designed to hold 1500HP+. At those power levels you simply get an iron block, such as a 6.0 or LSX. Compare apples with apples.

That was a typo/brain fart, 1,500 is a little on the high side, I have heard of some in the 1,200 range. Id never build an LS motor with a factory Iron block, ask and of the big name LS shops and they will tell you it is not worth the weight, a good aluminum block will take the power that the factory iron's will and will make more power because you can put more timing into it because it retains less heat....... Good luck getting say a 6.0 Iron block to hold 1,500 plus, the limit for the 2JZ block is about 1,800.......... even if a 6.0 Iron would reliably take 1500 no way it will take 1,800

Once again, a ricer's definition of "daily driven" is much different from what the rest of automotive world considers streetable. Running a 3.0L engine on low compression with giant cams and a 90mm turbo with meth injection on 110 octane is not streetable. As always, the ricer's never got the memo though.

Pump gas and meth injection....... even the f-body guys use it . I have driven in a big cam(s) 88mm 2JZ, it was very streetable and the onwer drives it every chance he gets..... just puts in race gas when he wants to go fast and cranks up the boost....... f-body guys do that also ya know. You don't know much about race gas....... no serious racers sprays meth with race gas. cheaper just to get higher octane gas and 110 will handle the 1,200 or so hp with ease....... my last car had 800-900hp on the bottle and the 110 octane was rather overkill for it...... it is the cheapest around here so I ran it...

If people don't enter, they obviously can't be competitive.

Can you name a bunch of LSX cars that would be cometative (top 5) in the standing mile? Don't say a ZR1 because it would not hack it...... just doing 205 and everyone knows they don't like much more RPM (per GM).

No clueless, top speed means GEARING. Hence how the ZR1 can hit 205MPH with a redline of 6500RPM.
Yup but not a lot of car's like to stay at say 6500 for long periods of time......... oil temps tend to hate you also... Gearing is only half the battle...... you can have a killer top end gear but it it takes you the entire mile to get to just 200 then you will not even be close to the top 3...

Even the land speed races know it is not all about gearing....... don't have the HP then gearing means jack......

Have a nice day!

I love anything that is fast and no serious racer considers a Supra a ricer........ It is obvious you just want to hate on anything import so just let it go......... a factory LSX block holding 2500hp reliably............ thats funny.......... do a search on here but..... it is well known that that figure is a little off unless you add a main cap support to keep the mains from moving and taking out bearings........... and incase you are currious.......... the 2jZ block is good to go and that tiny 3.0 block is a lot more beefy then you think if you ever took the change to look at one...... I have one apart a few times...... the oil pan is a structural part of the block...............
Old 12-08-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Then how can you bash what you don't know or care about haha?
Just because I don't like them doesn't mean I don't know their limits. In this industry you see everything, regardless of make, and I've seen plenty of Toyotas. A guy I know has an '83 Supra with a 7MGTE swap, he's on his 3rd motor. Very reliable engines

Find some LSX blocks that are reliably handeling 2500 on any hp level, I hear Phill's is now but it has some extensive main cap area work done.... Please find me some that are holding it with no work done and not eating bearings........ you can't and will not. 6.2 and 650rwhp? I know that, there are some making a little more with ARP hardware..... plenty of 2JZ's with hardware and stock bottom end's making about 900rwhp..... I doubt you will beleive that.
GM rates the LSX at 2500HP. Thats what the block can hold with the proper setup and internals. Here you go:

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/En...166454&engCat=

Why don't you call the engineers at GM and tell them that you've concluded from your computer chair that it can't hold the power?? I'm sure they'd be more than happy to hear from a clown like you

That was a typo/brain fart, 1,500 is a little on the high side, I have heard of some in the 1,200 range
So once again its obvious that you're pulling numbers out of your ***. The stock engine won't hold 1200HP reliabily either, its a street engine, not a built drag car. Its amazing how much people will exaggerate numbers to try and make ricer engines look good

Id never build an LS motor with a factory Iron block, ask and of the big name LS shops and they will tell you it is not worth the weight, a good aluminum block will take the power that the factory iron's will and will make more power because you can put more timing into it because it retains less heat
Honestly, you're making **** up as you go. Tons of guys on here build iron block engines because they provide extra insurance when you get into the higher power levels. Timing is basically a non-issue, with a good radiator and aluminum heads its not going to make a huge difference.

....... Good luck getting say a 6.0 Iron block to hold 1,500 plus, the limit for the 2JZ block is about 1,800.......... even if a 6.0 Iron would reliably take 1500 no way it will take 1,800
Once again, you don't know your *** from a hole in the ground. The LSX isn't some 2 bolt Chevy small block. Its a 6 bolt main, deep skirt block with 6 head bolts per cylinder. Thats about as strong as you can get.

What makes you think the 2JZ is so amazing?? Its nothing more than a run of the mill straight 6 with a turbocharger.

As for it not being able to hold 1500HP, here you go riceboy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeR5C...eature=related

Once again you prove you know absolutely nothing about engines.

Pump gas and meth injection....... even the f-body guys use it . I have driven in a big cam(s) 88mm 2JZ, it was very streetable and the onwer drives it every chance he gets
Once again, your opinion of "streetable" is worth less than the gum on the bottom of my shoe. A 3.0L 6 cylinder with an 88mm turbo is not "streetable" by any normal definition of the term, you are CLUELESS.

[B]Yup but not a lot of car's like to stay at say 6500 for long periods of time......... oil temps tend to hate you also... Gearing is only half the battle...... you can have a killer top end gear but it it takes you the entire mile to get to just 200 then you will not even be close to the top 3...
Ever heard of an oil cooler?? Guess not. Z06 and ZR1 use a dry sump, oil temps are a non issue. You are just pulling crap out of your *** like always.

Even the land speed races know it is not all about gearing....... don't have the HP then gearing means jack......
You just said you need high RPM's for top speed...now you change your story?? Obviously you need horsepower, but it doesn't matter if you make the power at 6,000 or 9,000RPM, HP is HP. You need the proper gearing in order to effectively use the power though.

I love anything that is fast and no serious racer considers a Supra a ricer........ It is obvious you just want to hate on anything import so just let it go......... a factory LSX block holding 2500hp reliably............ thats funny.......... do a search on here but..... it is well known that that figure is a little off unless you add a main cap support to keep the mains from moving and taking out bearings
You don't build engines. You don't know anything about basic engine principles. You have no idea what you are talking about. Stop spewing bullshit that you don't understand. Its obvious you're just grasping at straws.

Why would the mains be moving on a cast iron 6 bolt deep skirt block?? Once again, thats a much stronger design than the 2JZ. Yet the 2JZ doesn't have any problem with mains moving around lol?? You are a JOKE, stop making **** up.

........... and incase you are currious.......... the 2jZ block is good to go and that tiny 3.0 block is a lot more beefy then you think if you ever took the change to look at one...... I have one apart a few times...... the oil pan is a structural part of the block...............
In case you were curious, the LSX has a structural oil pan as well. You took one apart a few times and now you're an expert I see?? LOL, stop kidding yourself, you know nothing about engines or what holds them together. I've pulled apart plenty of Toyota inline 6 cylinders, there is nothing special about them at all, and certainly they aren't better designed than an LSX.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Like I said, do some searches on here on that LSX block and see the problems people were having with it and are just now figuring out (Im talking about the big power racers on here)......... those motors with top of the line parts in them........ All's Gm had to do it make a pull to 2500 hp a few times and call it good...... not run it over and over in some race's..... the nitrous guys have been having fits with them. Get in the drag section and notic the huge 25.5 Mustang thread, ask him about his in his 7 sec car or the guys at Virginia speed............ I doubt you will though........ all well, keep dreaming.

Have a good one..........

P.S. Yeah I do know a think or two...... have built a few airfraft engines and jet engines in the past along with messing with everything from 4 bangers to 6 bangers to small block stuff to big block stuff to small engine stuff................. ect ect.

You also accuse me of getting my info from the net but admit to gettting yours from the net in the same post with the iron blocks and LSX block's......... classic haha.

Let it die dude.

Your an expert and know all, the supra engine's suck and should only be on the track.... the LSX is king and allway's will be......... even compared to the BBC.... oh and the LSX will allways be the most streetable engine with big power ect ect..... Before I forget there is a ton of mustang's and other cars around here with 88-90MM turbo's and you see them cruising all the time....... I am sure that is different in a larger engine with you or something but with racing again who cares about lag with a big trubo since you are up on the boost any way and cruising around town you don't need boost any way........ all well................

Have a good one dude, you have me a good laugh......

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 12-08-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Staging Lane

Oh by the way, a stock ZR1 will only do about 170mph in the standing mile. 205mph is it's top speed, a big, big difference.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not sure how a thread about a 370Z has turned into this. My only comments are about the disconnect people seem to have regarding the term DD, and it's not just in this thread. An 8 second Supra, LSX or whatever is not in any way a DD. A daily driver means you drive it DAILY. Not just the weekends, not only when it's above 70, etc. DD means rain, snow or shine, long highway trips, bumper to bumper traffic, to work every day, to the grocery store, etc.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01formula6
DD means rain, snow,, bumper to bumper traffic, to work every day, to the grocery store, etc.
That eliminates most Ferraris, Porsches, Lambos, 2 seaters, a lot of rwd vehicles, etc.

But you have a good point - if it's CAPABLE of bumper-to-bumper and highway use, then it's streetable.

I'll state it again - I think it was Hot Rod magazine that had a 30? minute course plotted out. I think overheating is the biggest challenge for most of the cars. Cutting off the blower belt and rejetting the carbs does NOT count.

But surviving multiple 1-mile WOT runs is far more difficult than than 1/4 mile passes.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not sure how a thread about a 370Z has turned into this. My only comments are about the disconnect people seem to have regarding the term DD, and it's not just in this thread. An 8 second Supra, LSX or whatever is not in any way a DD. A daily driver means you drive it DAILY. Not just the weekends, not only when it's above 70, etc. DD means rain, snow or shine, long highway trips, bumper to bumper traffic, to work every day, to the grocery store, etc.
There is a local hatch that has pretty much no interior, no whiper's no nothing...... the guy that owned it before he sold it had it that way and drove it every day rain or shine an dused a lot of rain-x...... no venter console, no door pannel's ect ect. Had a swap in it and all.

Everyone has their own definition of a DD, I do agree that it is a car that is driven every day but anymore you have nice day daily's and summer daily's many cars on here that are parked in the winter..... to give the imports credit even the RWD ones do better then the f-bodies in the snow due to the better weight balancing and the hondas just have to swap tire's...

Yeah over heating is the main problem, those blower cars are known for wanting to run hot...

People don't unterstand how hard it is on an engine to run at high rpm for a mile........ just look at how the manifolds turn red hot on the dyno when they do it....... the factory oil coolers are not designed to handle it this is why so many people run twin aftermarket ones and fans for them...

I did not know the ZR1 was only pulling 170 something but that does not suprise me.... not only is gearing and HP a factor but you have to hook, the standing mile is a mile long drag race really...... If you blow the tires off then guess what.....

There are many many Supra's that are nice weather DD's though that are in the 9's or better. Not everyone cares about lag or driveability....... once you get into the 9's or faster or even often 10's you have to have some compromises but what do I know...... I am just the village idiot......

Personally I consider a nice weather DD a DD....... not everyone want's to drive their car's in the rain or snow and salt...... I have driven F-bodies in the snow and never want to again..... it sucks and is hard on car's and it is hard to kep a car looking nice when you are driving it in the rain.

Most street car classes have a 30 min cruise some end up bumper to bumper... overheating is the only real issue as long as you have something more then like a 5 gallon fuel tank.

Porsches do suprisingly well in the snow...... There is a pretty big market out there for snow tires on them..... the non AWD car's just throw some on and do great but even on street tires they do ok.

Back on topic I do like the looks of that Nissan.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 12-10-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes I like the looks of the Nissan too. Regardless of how fast it is, I'm sure it's a fun car to drive. My 84 was fun and it only had 160 hp.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Yes I like the looks of the Nissan too. Regardless of how fast it is, I'm sure it's a fun car to drive. My 84 was fun and it only had 160 hp.
Even the 350 Z's are fun to drive with the traction control off Turn it off and it feels like the car gains 50 hp hahaha.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:11 AM
TECH Regular

Dont know why this seems funny to me but does anyone eles find it funny how we are comparing the ls1 that was stopped in 2002 to and new 2010 import and it still cant keep up time stock for stock ! people who get imports to go fast make me laugh
Old 12-17-2009, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

The Nismo 370Z is $55K??

LOL you'd be a moron to buy one. I can't imagine paying that kind of money for the same V6 you get in a family car.
Originally Posted by Z33Option
God you're such a ***.
Originally Posted by Killemall
now I realize that you are dillusional...
GTFO with that bullshit. Next.
You are out of your ******* mind.
Here we go again. I'd like to crush you with a big ******* hammer.
No. I hate you.
Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
No. Reading comprehension > then you.
Originally Posted by necrocannibal
No I understand and you are wrong.
you're on our site talking up your nippon ****. Nobody cares what you have to say, it would be best if you just left.

If you knew your *** from a hole in the ground...

You are a joke. You obviously don't know jack **** about the L98 or LSX, and you obviously have your head up your *** about the Nissan VQ as well.
You're an idiot.
No, you are an idiot.
Nobody drives around on the street running 100 octane fuel, thats retarded.
You sound like you are 8 years old.

Again I say you are an immature idiot.
Originally Posted by The Manalishi
Wesman, here he is to save the day.
You're an idiot.
No, you are a ricer idiot
Read my post again boy genius
Don't mind me, just lol'ing
Old 12-17-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ocala93TA
Dont know why this seems funny to me but does anyone eles find it funny how we are comparing the ls1 that was stopped in 2002 to and new 2010 import and it still cant keep up time stock for stock ! people who get imports to go fast make me laugh
Not to be a dick, but a 370Z would outrun you and I'm sure owners are on a Nissan board somewhere saying, "people who get LT1's to go fast make me laugh".

You have to look at the car for what it is, and it's not a drag racer.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Not to be a dick, but a 370Z would outrun you and I'm sure owners are on a Nissan board somewhere saying, "people who get LT1's to go fast make me laugh".

You have to look at the car for what it is, and it's not a drag racer.
Not that i care if they outrun me i still wouldnt buy a 370 for that price to think i can go fast . AS far as a lt1 i didnt know you could still buy them new? in 2009 that was the point i was and others where making about the price of the car the guy could have bought a c6 used for that price and had a better car.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Different strokes for different folks.

Quick Reply: Z28 Vs 370z