Roll Race
26.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Dig racing or Roll racing???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The N.O. area is split really. We have some nice high HP cars that do only dig races but we also have some nice high HP that only roll races. When I had my formula, i did both, lol. Roll racing is easier because you only have to find an open area on the interstate to go and with a good amount of long bridges around here its pretty easy and safe. With dig racing, you gotta find a road thats empty with little to no sideroads and it can get unsafe for innocent people if not timed right.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1W66
Auto's only use 2 at launch. Manuals still use the clutch for shifts even if it is just a kick for the powershift.
There are a lot of manuals that don't use the clutch after launch, they shift without lifting and without the clutch.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
There are a lot of manuals that don't use the clutch after launch, they shift without lifting and without the clutch.
He's thinking about street cars with a T-56 for example, not a manual trans like a Liberty.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plenty of Honda's out there that hook from a dig.....

Even in power shifting you use the clutch..... just not much and don't lift on the gas.....

The serious imports out there will race from a dig or a roll...... and before people point fingers there are plenty of f-bodies and stangs that only want to roll race....... same reason for a lot of the imports....... before they can't hook....
Old 12-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

i dont mind either one. i have a auto with a stall so if i do a 30 roll i have to shift it myself into 2nd then into 3rd and so on. if the roll is somewhat higher i put it in 3rd and hit the gas right between the 2nd and 3rd honk, giving time for the tranny to kick down. the car will usally take off right on the 3rd honk. roll racing from drive sucks and the car reacts slower and shifts to early.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:34 PM
11 Second Club

All the guys who cry about DRs or having to run street tires your pathetic. So suddenly its my fault that I run full time DRs because you threw a few grand into making HP/TQ but couldnt spring for a $300 set of DRs?

If you cant hook its your own fault. Un prepped road or not. Click my sig link and watch the "Spinnin Aint Winnin" vid. Thats a 4,200 stall launching on a CHIP SEAL ROAD not even pavement. Guess what? I pedaled it to a hook.

Once again, if you spend $700 on a cam setup, $1k on exhaust, $500 or more on an intake, $1k or more for proper N20 set up, $5k or more for basic F/I setup but DONT spend a measly $300 bucks on some DRs than thats your own stupid fault. Its not about how much power you can make, its about how you put it to the ground. Thats how I get a 3,770 pound race weight car to run 12.2s on 275s with only 370RWHP.

Roll race lovers that refuse to dig can blanket themselves in tons of net excuses but deep down in their own mind they know why they dont dig. And its not because they have too much power. Theres plenty of slick cars running on VHT prepped ROADS pulling the fronts up for the 1/8th mile. What you cant buy a $35 dollar jug of VHT from Jegs but you can spring for thousands on fancy wheels? Dont tell me youve missed some of the vids posted on this board? If those guys can get their 8 second warriors to plant on an asphalt road than whats your 10-11-12 second cars excuse again?

Pathetic.

Last edited by CoolAid; 01-04-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CoolAid
All the guys who cry about DRs or having to run street tires your pathetic. So suddenly its my fault that I run full time DRs because you threw a few grand into making HP/TQ but couldnt spring for a $300 set of DRs?

If you cant hook its your own fault. Un prepped road or not. Click my sig link and watch the "Spinnin Aint Winnin" vid. Thats a 4,200 stall
I was following you until that point.

Its one thing to say you dont do something because you are good at it but in your case trapping 110 isnt going to do much for you from a roll. not saying its slow, just that roll races tend to be of cars much faster then that.

I would wager to say that from a decent roll (60mph) some manuals that trap lower then 110 might be able to put it on you.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you cant hook its your own fault. Un prepped road or not. Click my sig link and watch the "Spinnin Aint Winnin" vid. Thats a 4,200 stall launching on a CHIP SEAL ROAD not even pavement. Guess what? I pedaled it to a hook.

Once again, if you spend $700 on a cam setup, $1k on exhaust, $500 or more on an intake, $1k or more for proper N20 set up, $5k or more for basic F/I setup but DONT spend a measly $300 bucks on some DRs than thats your own stupid fault. Its not about how much power you can make, its about how you put it to the ground. Thats how I get a 3,770 pound race weight car to run 12.2s on 275s with only 370RWHP.

Roll race lovers that refuse to dig can blanket themselves in tons of net excuses but deep down in their own mind they know why they dont dig. And its not because they have too much power. Theres plenty of slick cars running on VHT prepped ROADS pulling the fronts up for the 1/8th mile. What you cant buy a $35 dollar jug of VHT from Jegs but you can spring for thousands on fancy wheels? Dont tell me youve missed some of the vids posted on this board? If those guys can get their 8 second warriors to plant on an asphalt road than whats your 10-11-12 second cars excuse again?

Pathetic.
I agree.

Originally Posted by liqidvenom

Its one thing to say you dont do something because you are good at it but in your case trapping 110 isnt going to do much for you from a roll. not saying its slow, just that roll races tend to be of cars much faster then that.

I would wager to say that from a decent roll (60mph) some manuals that trap lower then 110 might be able to put it on you.
You totally missed his point. it has nothing to do with his particular car. It has everything to do with priorities or lack there of. If someone wants to build a 'roll racer' then that's their choice. Ricer IMO, but their choice nonetheless. If someone builds a car incorrectly and then will only roll race as a result, then they are (as he put it) stupid.

ANd how is 60mph a 'decent' roll? R U f'ing kidding me? ~30-40 I can see, 60 is just plain dumb. Then again, I see the importance of not hitting triple digits on public roads.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ponygt65
I agree.

You totally missed his point. it has nothing to do with his particular car. It has everything to do with priorities or lack there of. If someone wants to build a 'roll racer' then that's their choice. Ricer IMO, but their choice nonetheless. If someone builds a car incorrectly and then will only roll race as a result, then they are (as he put it) stupid.

ANd how is 60mph a 'decent' roll? R U f'ing kidding me? ~30-40 I can see, 60 is just plain dumb. Then again, I see the importance of not hitting triple digits on public roads.
yet you are ok with puttin vht on public roads. coming to a stop and drag racing from a stop on public roads. what highways near you do you roll around at 30-40mph? not sure how taking over an open street to prep it like he said is some how better then just doing a pull on a open highway you are already traveling on.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

yet you are ok with puttin vht on public roads. coming to a stop and drag racing from a stop on public roads. what highways near you do you roll around at 30-40mph? not sure how taking over an open street to prep it like he said is some how better then just doing a pull on a open highway you are already traveling on.
WHen did I say it was ok? I didn't. It is stupid.

if the highway isn't 'unoccupied' enough for me to slow down to 30-40, then there's too much traffic to do anything. I have rarely roll raced.

BTW - you are talking to someone that had a blown mach one with 18" street radials and STILL preferred a dig. I wouldn't do DR's as my regular tires around here and that is my choice. Naturally, givne that is my choice the responsibility of feathering a clutch like a **** was on me. Not that my car was the fastest around, but 430/400rwp isn't the isn't to 'plant' on BFG streets either.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

Dude, I am on street 555's and I'll go from a dig. Its horrible with tons of clutch playing and throttle control through 2 gears, but I'll do it if possible. I love rolls too, but honestly want/need to set this car up for dig.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

What you think because of what I said I'm afraid to roll? 2 of my 3 videos are filled with me doing rolls and racing M6 cars from a roll. I have video proof that I do whatever and go from whatever. Sure looks like I only go when its my advantage eh?

You might want to pay special attention to the "Farewell To Kings" vid (1:27) where I run a LS6 V like yours from a roll twice and even edge it out past 135mph in the last race. We went from 30 and I had to chase him down as he led me past 100. A 60 roll would have been worse for HIM as he would only have had 40mph of trans gear ratio advantage before hitting 1:1. Hes an expert tuner and a world class driver/shifter. Can you slam the gears as fast as him? Your going to need to.

...and dont try to take the VHT thing out of context. My point was that if you NEED to hook, do what you have to do. Tires, VHT, whatever. A part is a part. Cam = Tires. Blower = Tires. They are different but the same. Anything other than stock is a mod. Nobody races stock for stock except net bench racers, out in the streets you need mods, and liek I said, tires, prepped road, what ever it takes is a mod.

But do more research before you call someone out. I invited you to look at my vids before you posted and you obviously missed the part where I do 90% roll races due to people who cant hook or arent good for a dig....etc.

Last edited by CoolAid; 01-04-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Launching!

Sounds like some of these guys know about racing as much as a honda owner knows about torque...
Old 01-11-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02_camaroz28
Sounds like some of these guys know about racing as much as a honda owner knows about torque...
Agreed

Prior to my M6 to TH400 swap, I would only roll race

Many of the guys in this thread that say roll racing is dumb are primarily the guys who have autos. I'm not giving excuses and yes some to roll race, but the majority think DIG runs are where its at.

How easy is it to get a auto LS1, get a built tranny, converter, gears and tires and go yank people from a dig? VERY easy compared to roll racing

Roll racing requires more than just gears, it requires an efficient driveline and know how on how to shift a car (if you have a stick). Not all 600hp cobras are fast from a roll... not all LS1's with bottle are fast from a roll.

To each his own, I have built my new setup to roll race because it just easier to get on a highway than do it on a empty street with people standing next to or in front of the cars while they race
Old 01-12-2010, 06:04 AM
TECH Regular

Pathetic.
Agreed, suspension, tires et all often get overlooked.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:52 AM
On The Tree

Just reading... But I roll race 85% of the time due to being on the street moving in the first place. Ive went from digs and it made it nerve racking when I couldn't get traction... But usually pulled off the win either way, cuz if I get jumped out of the hole and they got the lead, then i stay in it as long as they do which usually gives me time to come by them pullin pretty hard..

Btw I live in Kentucky with farms in every direction and no cops at all.. I feel gifted due to the fact I usually set the cruise on 100mph on the way home just cuz I can and it's enjoyable... I know it's rediculous but just cruise at 100 or 100+ and driving becomes more enjoyablenthan anything to me. But that's a rare freedom many don't get to experience in cities, suburbs...

The con to this is an animal jumpin in the road will get you killed and you just always have it in the back of your head. But yea dig or roll racing to me is racing either way...
Old 02-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Staging Troll

as long as i win either way i like em both
Old 02-02-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i understand dig racing is real racing but if i was only going to do digs i would have just baught a sti with launch control they are idiot proof my buddys launches better in 20 degree weather then i do in 80
Old 02-02-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

I prefer roll racing, simply because I don't wanna get caught sitting next to another car - instantly 6 points, just for lining up at a stop like that. But needless to say, I have done and do both. Each takes its own set of skills and setup.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do Both.

Quick Reply: Dig racing or Roll racing???