Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Mustang boost thread.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by travismcgillsdaddy
i would do hci. its gonna push the 3k limit but a blower will be over the 3k limit lol
Blowers sound better and in this case they definately make more power. But to each his own, thats what makes this hobby great.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
Blowers sound better and in this case they definately make more power. But to each his own, thats what makes this hobby great.
true dat. its a expensive hobby thats for sure lol. if i had a 2v and had go boost i say turbo it.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Dude, seriously?
Yup. Of course you had another 3-400 for a tune and about 500-1000 for more parts. All less than 4-5k usually. Not bad for gaining 150rwhp or so.

Originally Posted by ponygt65
Also, I have a hard time believing everything needed for FI'ing a 2V has been done for 1500. The tune ALONE is $500 typically.
I was meaning the supercharger and the tubing. Not the fuel injectors, tunes, etc.

For example

http://mustangforums.com/forum/pipes...-its-done.html

Last edited by Ke^in; 02-06-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by unit213
My suggestion would be to see the Mustang and use that $3K you have
laying around to buy a LS1...best bang for the buck performance if you have less than $10K to spend.
No. If I wanted a LS1 I would have gotten it in the first place. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but this is GM county.. and there are ****-tons of LS1 cars compared to Mustangs around here. Plus 95% of them are stock. I wanted a sleeper-like GT that can take 95% of them around here. The other 5% that are modded to the gills, could still waste me for the most part. I can spend 10k if I have to. I WANT to spend less however. Whatever it takes to get 385rwhp. Which wont be 10k.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
You can't say that to Ke^in. He knows the secrets to making them fast.
Uh, sure he can say that to me. I know taking a 2v N/A costs too much money when compared to a boosted one. It's why I decided to go boost.

Come on Manalishi, no need to project dishonest beliefs onto me. I never did anything to you.

I don't want this to turn into another "Hey lets troll on Kevin about his 2v thread" Because people have been bitching about it for weeks now.

Thanks for everyone that gave me decent advice.

Anyone can lock this now before it gets silly.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ke^in
Uh, sure he can say that to me. I know taking a 2v N/A costs too much money when compared to a boosted one. It's why I decided to go boost.

Come on Manalishi, no need to project dishonest beliefs onto me. I never did anything to you.
You're not "going boost" with $3K. A forced induction setup on a stock engine 2V is the biggest waste of money.
It's not going to make any power without turning up the boost...and those garbage rods will twist like a pretzel
when you do.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Regular

You're not "going boost" with $3K.
Indeed.
A forced induction setup on a stock engine 2V is the biggest waste of money.
It's not going to make any power without turning up the boost
Again, I don't want to make gobs of power. Just 385rwhp tops. It's been done many times with 5k and less.
...and those garbage rods will twist like a pretzel
when you do.
If you go above 400 they will. The internals can handle below that. There are forums full of people with 385rwhp boosted 2v that have lasted years without problems.

Again, this isn't going to be a track car. I know I can't add gobs of boost and hp to it without doing the internals.

But then again, I said ALL of this on the first page. :/

Last edited by Ke^in; 02-06-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Launching!

You're not "going boost" with $3K. A forced induction setup on a stock engine 2V is the biggest waste of money.
It's not going to make any power without turning up the boost...and those garbage rods will twist like a pretzel
when you do.
i know it's only one example but, my bro in law is a big mustang fan, and before his gt500 he had an 03 GT vert (unfortunately) and he had a novi on it running IIRC 12-14 psi he was pushing 420+ and beating the hell out of it for a few years and never had a problem. but i dont think he ever ran any great times with it, high 11's mostly. but for ke^in who is looking for only 380 or so i think he would be happy, but the fact that its his DD i personally wouldnt unless he has a back up vehicle for when something happens...cuz it will.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by the jester 812
i know it's only one example but, my bro in law is a big mustang fan, and before his gt500 he had an 03 GT vert (unfortunately) and he had a novi on it running IIRC 12-14 psi he was pushing 420+ and beating the hell out of it for a few years and never had a problem. but i dont think he ever ran any great times with it, high 11's mostly. but for ke^in who is looking for only 380 or so i think he would be happy, but the fact that its his DD i personally wouldnt unless he has a back up vehicle for when something happens...cuz it will.
450rwhp is the max those engines can handle. That's the ragged edge for them before the rods let go. The pistons are junk too. They will hold 385rwhp forever though, but...that's not going to happen for $3K. Maybe on some internet message board, but not in real life.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by the jester 812
I have a 99 Mercury Tracer 5spd for the Winter and times I will need to park it

450rwhp is the max those engines can handle.
Yup, if you wanna go more, you have to go forged. I hear the block holds about 700 or more.
They will hold 385rwhp forever though, but...that's not going to happen for $3K. Maybe on some internet message board, but not in real life.
Not for the whole set-up no. Not even close. But I don't think I said that. If I was implying that, I did not certainly mean that.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

You quoted

450rwhp is the max those engines can handle. That's the ragged edge for them before the rods let go. The pistons are junk too. They will hold 385rwhp forever though, but...that's not going to happen for $3K. Maybe on some internet message board, but not in real life.
You responded

Not for the whole set-up no. Not even close. But I don't think I said that. If I was implying that, I did not certainly mean that.
Earlier in this thread I already called you out on the same quote

No more than 350-400rwhp. That's all I want out of it. It's a DD that's a toy. I bought it to much around with. It's not a track car. I really don't want to spend more than $3k on parts (Minus the cost of getting it tuned, It's been done before for half that)
Dude, seriously??? This thread is full of BS. You just said 385hp can be had for $1500 damn dollars. Guess you think we are all idiots. Now you are saying no way were you even trying to imply that. What a bunch of bullshit.

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 02-06-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

hows it a waste of money. Itll make 320ish to the wheels. O i 4got if its not a 4valve or a ls1 its a waste of time anyway right lmfao gtfo.
its gonna make 400wheel at best. Plus its a stock bottom end car and has a plastic intake. I dnt recomend forced induction plus he gonna spend way more than 3k on a blower and tunning and fuel upgrades.
but he wants a boosted car with 380 wheel roughly and 3k wont get u a blower. especially if you pay someone to do to install it tune ect ect. thats why i say hci and bolt ons thats if u do the work yourself, pay someone to do it and its gonna be over 3k also lol
ROFLMAO......sir foxbody, you have A LOT to learn about Modular's. I suggest you do less talking, and more learning/listening.

I was meaning the supercharger and the tubing. Not the fuel injectors, tunes, etc.

For example

http://mustangforums.com/forum/pipes...-its-done.html
yes...you can get a P1sc used for ~1500. I didn't realize you were talking the charger only for less than $3k. In fact, I think plenty in here are confused on your comments. I think I have it figured out though...................
Dude, seriously??? This thread is full of BS. You just said 385hp can be had for $1500 damn dollars. Guess you think we are all idiots. Now you are saying no way were you even trying to imply that. What a bunch of bullshit.
I believe what he is saying is he has budgeted $3k for the parts/setup and knows that tuning and other 'small things' Like gauges, etc. will run him more than $3k.

If I'm misunderstanding than yes Kevin..you're way optimistic.

Let's clear some of this up...just tell us what your total budget is. As in saved $$ to cover 'everything' (loosely used).
Old 02-07-2010, 06:59 AM
TECH Regular

Earlier in this thread I already called you out on the same quote
You didn't call me out. Both statements say the same thing. I don't want to spend more than 3k for the turbo and piping etc. I understand a tune, injectors etc are going to cost more. Capiche? The fact that I had read the 1,500 thread, which states that injectors, tunes, etc is going to be more, why would I think otherwise?
Dude, seriously??? This thread is full of BS. You just said 385hp can be had for $1500 damn dollars.
You either don't understand what I am saying, or aren't reading everything. Not once did I say that. Hell even the quote you made said 3k not 1,500k.

You CAN get a supercharger and the pipes and brackets etc all for $1500 when piecing it together. I have a 3k limit I want to spent on just this stuff.

Last edited by Ke^in; 02-07-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:01 AM
TECH Regular

I believe what he is saying is he has budgeted $3k for the parts/setup and knows that tuning and other 'small things' Like gauges, etc. will run him more than $3k.
BINGO!
Let's clear some of this up...just tell us what your total budget is. As in saved $$ to cover 'everything' (loosely used).
I have about 6k saved up. And this wont be happening for another year. So I have probably another 6k to add to it.

So 3k + 400 for a tune, and another say 400 for injectors, and probably another 1k for exhaust. That right there is 5k alone. And I am sure there is more to be bought.

THIS is why I made said post. To see what was cost efficient.

In fact, I think plenty in here are confused on your comments. I think I have it figured out though...................
That wasn't really the problem above. Even after I made it clear as to what I meant, I was being told I was lying. *rolleyes*

Last edited by Ke^in; 02-07-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Administrator

You CAN get a supercharger and the pipes and brackets etc all for $1500 when piecing it together. I have a 3k limit I want to spent on just this stuff.
You can get anything used for a cheap price. You're not getting new parts for that little money. What supercharger kit can you get for $1,500? I'd like to see that. What supercharger are you referring to...centrifugal, roots, twin screw? Which one specifically...a P1, D1, F1, etc?
Old 02-07-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

OP, good luck with whatever you decide. If you have a decent budget buy the FI kit new.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Banned

ROFLMAO......sir foxbody, you have A LOT to learn about Modular's. I suggest you do less talking, and more learning/listening.

yes...you can get a P1sc used for ~1500. I didn't realize you were talking the charger only for less than $3k. In fact, I think plenty in here are confused on your comments. I think I have it figured out though...................

If I'm misunderstanding than yes Kevin..you're way optimistic.

so your saying he cant get 380whp for nder 3k??? prove it smartass or s.t.f. up
Old 02-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Administrator

I'm really getting tired of some of the new guys here.

Quick Reply: Mustang boost thread.