Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

2011 Mustang GT - GM better power up

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was referring to stock for stock. I know of a ton of fast auto GTs.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow...we're beating this dead horse again huh?
here we go boys! well before this thing gets locked, I'm just gunna say a few things:

This isn't something new. Ford has always taken a few years to catch up with GM performance wise. That's all they're doing now-they never seem to "out-do" GM, but just match it...

when you compare HP and 1/4 mile times it's obvious and redundant:

'96 Cobra DOHC matches '92 technology LT1 cars.
'03 Cobra SC DOHC 395HP topped 98 LS1 technology
'05 DOHC 305HP motor doesnt even match up to '98 LS1 technology

now they release a 5.0 in 2011 that will give the 2009 technology LS3 a run for it's money...suprise suprise...

Give GM 2 years, they will have it topped.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:29 AM
TECH Regular

Who says it matches it?

And you left out a few cars there. The 03 Mach1 and a LS1 fbody are pretty much a driver's race. And to say a 96 Cobra's technology matches LT1 cars is a bit dishonest is it not? Same with the 03 Cobra. The 305hp GTs are close enough to the LS1 to not even matter. And if you are going to call the new Camaro a 2009, then the 2011 GT is a 2010. You say Ford is always behind, But the 2010 Camaro was GM catching up with Ford. And even then they didn't. The GT wasn't the fastest Mustang Ford made during that time. Not even close. Not that I think these comparisons in any way are ever "fair" because whatever car you own, is the side you are going to side with.

Last edited by Ke^in; 02-13-2010 at 04:49 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ke^in
I know of a ton of fast auto GTs.
Like what? Where did you gain all this knowledge...reading the internet or actually building and racing a fast car? We have plenty of people here that pass along info they've read, but what helps push things forward is when people get out there and actually do it and share real world experiences.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1Bad97WS-6
30K for the GT I paid 13K for my LS1 add another 17K to my LS1 and It should be a 8-9 second 1/4 mile car. The New Z28 should handle the GT/GT500 Pretty easy being a 556-557HP car stock and they say it should run 11s out of the box..
WOWO......Eat some Rice Krispie's this mornin' with that post?
Originally Posted by MasterTomos
wow...we're beating this dead horse again huh?
here we go boys! well before this thing gets locked, I'm just gunna say a few things:

This isn't something new. Ford has always taken a few years to catch up with GM performance wise. That's all they're doing now-they never seem to "out-do" GM, but just match it...

when you compare HP and 1/4 mile times it's obvious and redundant:

'96 Cobra DOHC matches '92 technology LT1 cars.
'03 Cobra SC DOHC 395HP topped 98 LS1 technology
'05 DOHC 305HP motor doesnt even match up to '98 LS1 technology

now they release a 5.0 in 2011 that will give the 2009 technology LS3 a run for it's money...suprise suprise...

Give GM 2 years, they will have it topped.
A) plenty disagree.
B) HP isn't everything.....I'd like to think more people know that.
C) What about 03-09 for the fbod? Just curious.

This thread's getting lame. All the fanboy's come out and all the BS gets splattered all of the screen.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Who says it matches it?

And you left out a few cars there. The 03 Mach1 and a LS1 fbody are pretty much a driver's race. And to say a 96 Cobra's technology matches LT1 cars is a bit dishonest is it not? Same with the 03 Cobra. The 305hp GTs are close enough to the LS1 to not even matter. And if you are going to call the new Camaro a 2009, then the 2011 GT is a 2010. You say Ford is always behind, But the 2010 Camaro was GM catching up with Ford. And even then they didn't. The GT wasn't the fastest Mustang Ford made during that time. Not even close. Not that I think these comparisons in any way are ever "fair" because whatever car you own, is the side you are going to side with.
I'm not talking specifically about Fbody's vs. ford, I'm talking about GM vs. ford.

every single 96-98 cobra I've seen at the track (dozens of them) has run right around high 13-14 flat at the track with either light mods or stock. That's the same as yur everyday LT1 car, so yea, I'd say it matches it. And the 305 HP '05-'10 GT's generally run mid-high 13's and low 14's too...LS1 fbody's have been driven into the 12's completely factory, so i wouldn't consider .5-1 full second difference "so close to the same it doesn't even matter."

what non-SVT car was faster than a Mustang GT? in any year?

and yes, the LS3 was in the 2009 G8 GXP, so yes, I will call it 2009.

and I never really understood why SVT modified cars like shelbys and cobras got thrown into the "ford" group like it's just another Mustang. If we wanna play that game, throw in GMMG's 500+HP cars for GM.

as for 2003-2009...GTO, G8's, CTS-V's, hell even the Trailblazer SS ran with the 01-04 GT's...

Ford's got a fantastic car coming out. I'm not a mustang hater, all I'm saying is GM will more than likely top the '11 GT within the next few years.
Will it outdue the 2010 Camaro SS? Yes. By leaps and bounds? Nope.
Will GM just sit back and take the beating? Doubt it.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ponygt65

A) plenty disagree.

This thread's getting lame. All the fanboy's come out and all the BS gets splattered all of the screen.
and im plenty aware that HP isn't everything. I've seen hundreds, if not thousands, of Mustangs run at the Track, and the same with Fbody and GM cars...I'm not stupid. Every other car in the staging lanes are either a Camaro or a Mustang. They make up probably 75% of the cars I see at the track, so I've noticed. 2 of my best friends are mustang guys(96 cobra, 2000 Saleen, 97 with an 03 stroked motor...yea...not yur typical GT's)-I've talked to the owners, I've driven the cars, I've seen them at the track, I've read the forums, seen the reviews, seen tons of street races...Needless to say, I've NOTICED what these cars do on a regular basis.

So yea, I do "know about that."
a 275HP LT1 will run with a 305 HP DOHC cobra. You can't argue against that-It's the truth. In fact, my track times in my stock LT1 were better than my best freind's 96 cobra. They are very comparable cars. You are ignorant if you think otherwise.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default This could get interesting.......

I'm not talking specifically about Fbody's vs. ford, I'm talking about GM vs. ford. Then why not talk about the SHO vs. a GT GXP or the like? Exactly.

every single 96-98 cobra I've seen at the track (dozens of them) has run right around high 13-14 flat at the track with either light mods or stock. That's the same as yur everyday LT1 car, so yea, I'd say it matches it. And the 305 HP '05-'10 GT's generally run mid-high 13's and low 14's too...LS1 fbody's have been driven into the 12's completely factory, so i wouldn't consider .5-1 full second difference "so close to the same it doesn't even matter." Uh..really? Are you serious? You state below that you're not a mustang hater, yet you just compared average times to the BEST of LS1 times. Uh..yeah, THAT's not being biased. Try being REAListic here bub.

what non-SVT car was faster than a Mustang GT? in any year? Hmmm..MACH 1. ? Again, I thought you knew about mustangs. Doesn't seem that way to me.

and yes, the LS3 was in the 2009 G8 GXP, so yes, I will call it 2009. AGAIN, why not talk about something Ford has besides a mustang. you never mentioned one freakin' car outside of mustang, but you mention all GM's across the board? Again...a tad biased no?

and I never really understood why SVT modified cars like shelbys and cobras got thrown into the "ford" group like it's just another Mustang. If we wanna play that game, throw in GMMG's 500+HP cars for GM. UH...probably because SVT is a division WITHIN FORD and It IS A mustang. There's that ignorance popping up again.

as for 2003-2009...GTO, G8's, CTS-V's, hell even the Trailblazer SS ran with the 01-04 GT's...There we go again....comparing all GMs to ONE Ford product. What does GM have that can compare to HD and L's?..oh yeah..nothing.

Ford's got a fantastic car coming out. I'm not a mustang hater, all I'm saying is GM will more than likely top the '11 GT within the next few years.
Will it outdue the 2010 Camaro SS? Yes. By leaps and bounds? Nope.
Will GM just sit back and take the beating? Doubt it.
RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!.

and im plenty aware that HP isn't everything. I've seen hundreds, if not thousands, of Mustangs run at the Track, and the same with Fbody and GM cars...I'm not stupid. Every other car in the staging lanes are either a Camaro or a Mustang. They make up probably 75% of the cars I see at the track, so I've noticed. 2 of my best friends are mustang guys(96 cobra, 2000 Saleen, 97 with an 03 stroked motor...yea...not yur typical GT's)-I've talked to the owners, I've driven the cars, I've seen them at the track, I've read the forums, seen the reviews, seen tons of street races...Needless to say, I've NOTICED what these cars do on a regular basis.

So yea, I do "know about that."
a 275HP LT1 will run with a 305 HP DOHC cobra. You can't argue against that-It's the truth. In fact, my track times in my stock LT1 were better than my best freind's 96 cobra. They are very comparable cars. You are ignorant if you think otherwise.
Uh...see above. I jsut proved how you having friends and reading I-Net BS and watching street races still don't make you an expert. What's the fastest stock LT1 run? 13.4?.....I do believe there was an SN96 Cobra that ran 13.2 Then again...that was with a K and N drop in and shifter. Darn..not stock, those mods definitely make up for .6 seconds difference.

BTW - a '00 saleen IS a typical GT when it comes to 1320 racing. There's that ignorance again.

ANything else? Looks like school may be starting early for Spring.

And again...WTF happened 03-09? See, what some people tend to forget is Ford is a business. They are around to make money. That's why they make enough power, and enough to appeal to keep making money. As a result, they A) have had the longest continuously sold sports car with no 'break', B) never had to stop production to 'redo' their blue collar sports car, C) didn't need a bail out, and D) is posting in teh black without it.

Last edited by ponygt65; 02-13-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've been hearing 12.5 ranges..

Not many stock 5.0s going to be out there either I don't think.
Why haven't you went to corral or some mustang website yet?
Old 02-13-2010, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

Hey Unit or anyone for that matter, what is the standing rule for talking **** on this site?
Old 02-13-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

this arguing is pointless...

Mustangs are way better and faster. I retrack all previous statements above. I know nothing about them and have never seen what they do in a real world application at all, ever. Saleens and Cobra's are just yur everyday mustang, and I see at least 10 GT500's a day too, especially at the track...

GM should just close it's doors cuz they can't keep up with Shelby, Roush, and Saleen's cars with their entry level performance car, let alone anything with a shiney horse in the grille.

yur all right, I'm wrong.

I can't believe I got caught up in this BS...
Old 02-13-2010, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, I'm just happy that the ponycar war is back alive and kicking. It sucked when the f-bodys were killed back in '02. Ford has always kept alive their ponycar brand, and continued to update and improve on it. I'm a fan of v-8 rwd performance cars, so this horsepower war can only mean good things for us, regardless of which side of the fence you're on.

I currently own 2 f-bodys but would not hesitate to buy the new stang. I really like the look and I'm sure the performance will be impressive. I'm still trying to get used to the new camaro. Sometimes I like it...but other times it looks ugly from certain angles.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

To all the newbs the standing rule is you got to be out of 13's to talk smack.

It always seems the slow ones (no offense) always seem to be the ones talking trash. Once you build a fast or moderately fast car you understand an appreciate what it takes to make a car perform be it Ford or Chevy. And you throw out the stock ET's on what a car can run out the window. We're all gearheads.

-Mark
Old 02-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Mustangs are way better and faster. I retrack all previous statements above. I know nothing about them and have never seen what they do in a real world application at all, ever. Saleens and Cobra's are just yur everyday mustang, and I see at least 10 GT500's a day too, especially at the track...

GM should just close it's doors cuz they can't keep up with Shelby, Roush, and Saleen's cars with their entry level performance car, let alone anything with a shiney horse in the grille.

You still haven't acknowledged that the 03/04 Mach 1 was every bit the equal of the LSx cars, and it didn't carry an SVT badge.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bitemark46

It always seems the slow ones (no offense) always seem to be the ones talking trash. Once you build a fast or moderately fast car you understand an appreciate what it takes to make a car perform be it Ford or Chevy. And you throw out the stock ET's on what a car can run out the window. We're all gearheads.

-Mark
im still amazed that you manage that time and trap with your car being a stock longblock. What does it weigh?
Old 02-13-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's your retort? Funny, that's usually what happens when an ignorant n00b tool gets owned and doesn't really have anythign to say.Fact is you ARE wrong. There is no opinoin on that matter and I just proved it.

and as for the saleen..sorry for you buddy, but aside from their terrific handling, they ARE a GT. They actually tend to be a tad slower in the 1320 due to their weight. Not to mention, the S281SC (new edges) are a low 13 second car and dyno just over 300. That's said for a boosted car, when a stock mach can pull that ET off with 25-35 less rwhp/tq. Not to mention the 99-01 cobra's are right on their heels.

Originally Posted by big dave
FWIW, I'm just happy that the ponycar war is back alive and kicking. It sucked when the f-bodys were killed back in '02. Ford has always kept alive their ponycar brand, and continued to update and improve on it. I'm a fan of v-8 rwd performance cars, so this horsepower war can only mean good things for us, regardless of which side of the fence you're on.
I completely agree 100%

-Mark
Not only that...it's also the n00b's or the 'younger' members.
Originally Posted by TRMach1
You still haven't acknowledged that the 03/04 Mach 1 was every bit the equal of the LSx cars, and it didn't carry an SVT badge.
Eh', they aren't equal with TS. Making the back half of the 1320 all theirs. The mach gets the 1/8th (typically)

Originally Posted by jim1450
No way, I owned a 03 Mach 1 & got it new. I also new others that had them & felt the same way, 1 was a Ford employee.
really? so a mach isnt' a low mid 13 second car, which is what an LS fbod is? (yes, a handful have hit 12s........basically non-opt'd ones).
Old 02-13-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 180ls1
im still amazed that you manage that time and trap with your car being a stock longblock. What does it weigh?
A) weight
B) gearing
C) Suspension
D) he is one with his car.

That's pretty much why.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:41 AM
TECH Regular

every single 96-98 cobra I've seen at the track (dozens of them) has run right around high 13-14 flat at the track with either light mods or stock. That's the same as yur everyday LT1 car, so yea, I'd say it matches it.
You stated technology. You meant speed. That's all I was saying. It matches it in speed yes, I will agree. The problem with those Cobras were the gearing BTW. But the technology they were using was far ahead of GMs pushrod LT1.

As far as the rest of your post. I don't agree with a lot of it, but I will refrain from dragging this out any further.

Originally Posted by clonedws6
Why haven't you went to corral or some mustang website yet?
I go to a lot of Mustang web sites. Which BTW have a lot of GM owners in them as well. I treat them with the respect I expect to be treated with.

Originally Posted by jim1450
Nope, there were 7 or 8 on a Fri night test & tune one time & the best stock(100% bone stock) went high 13s & some 14s-they were 5 speeds and I know that a few were good drivers.
Again either you live in a high altitude or there are some sucky drivers there. high 13s low 14s are stock 2v territory. Mach1s are in the mid 13s or lower.
This isn't what I've read, it's what I've seen with my own two eyes on the track. The Mach1 is HARDLY known as a overated turd. Even in this forum.

Last edited by Ke^in; 02-14-2010 at 04:50 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

Lets start with a positive note

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Well.....yes and no. I've seen some auto GT's with a decent TQ converter run down manuals at the track with relative ease...
Sarge whats good brotha!

And agree'd my TQ converter made the biggest difference on my car.

Originally Posted by ponygt65

A) plenty disagree.

Mike you're such a bully, but i must say i almost chocked laughing at the bolded part.

God i miss this section, it was only a couple of years ago before i was enlightened, doing this same type of argueing. I personally HATE i mean HATE ford, but you have to accept they have made some great 1320 cars just like GM. I personally would trade my TA for a 03-04 Mach. And im a GM guy!

Again either you live in a high altitude or there are some sucky drivers there. high 13s low 14s are stock 2v territory. Mach1s are in the mid 13s or lower.
This isn't what I've read, it's what I've seen with my own two eyes on the track. The Mach1 is HARDLY known as a overated turd. Even in this forum.
I was thinking the same thing, dudes DA must be like 3500 or higher and they must be running over 2.0 60's for those Mach's to run high 13's low 14's haha for christ sake my stock LT1 ran a 14.00 with a 2.2 60' at 2000 DA!!!! and the Mach is leagues ahead of a stock LT1.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:23 PM
12 Second Club

Hey Unit or anyone for that matter, what is the standing rule for talking **** on this site?

-Mark
Tell em Mark! What was that guys 1320 time? 13.6. . . .

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang GT - GM better power up