Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

2011 Mustang GT - GM better power up

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
why so you can brag about beating a 4 door family car with mom driving her 3 kids home from the grocery store?

well so far the ones that ive run in this car, were thinking they had a race car. they werent driving it like it was a family car......as they faded behind me in the distance. thats not a fair race. but they goosed it first. the stock 2011 im getting will be a fair race.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bww3588
i tell you what, in about 6 months, your going to see me crusing the streets in either a G8 or a CTS-V now that im going to have a baby and need a family vehicle. but ill be god damned if im rocking a mini van. i told the wife if we have to have a baby hauler, its going to be something i can have fun in.
man watch the CTS-v. the rear ends explode over and over. i was getting one. too bad, it was the car of choice till i realized i could never make it strong anough to survive.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by assasinator
man watch the CTS-v. the rear ends explode over and over. i was getting one. too bad, it was the car of choice till i realized i could never make it strong anough to survive.
well...this is going to be my family car, exactly what its ment for. maybe put a good exhaust on it, but thats it.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
will the new 5.0 respond to mods as well as an ls3? at this point it's all speculation.

BUT going by past track records with fords modulars it is the safe bet to so no it wont.
and now it wont respond as well to boost because of the high compression.
oh i beg to differ. the new motor will rock with boost its just not gonna need as much boost to make big power. expect 6-8 lbs of boost on one of the new motors to make 550 to the tire. the nice part about the 4 valve head is that it is not prone to detonation. when people get ambitious and drop the cr a bit with a good piston and rod the new motor will make stupid power. they out flow the ford gt head which flowed over 320 cfm stock. id be willing to bet the new heads ported will flow over 400cfm couple that with a bad blower some decent compression and you will have one bad *** little motor.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dynotune04
oh i beg to differ. the new motor will rock with boost its just not gonna need as much boost to make big power. expect 6-8 lbs of boost on one of the new motors to make 550 to the tire. the nice part about the 4 valve head is that it is not prone to detonation. when people get ambitious and drop the cr a bit with a good piston and rod the new motor will make stupid power. they out flow the ford gt head which flowed over 320 cfm stock. id be willing to bet the new heads ported will flow over 400cfm couple that with a bad blower some decent compression and you will have one bad *** little motor.
it will be right there with the LS9 that makes 638 at the crank with a small amount of boost.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:17 AM
TECH Regular

With smaller displacement.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

the ford fanboi-ism in here is thicker than the **** pile under the outhouse.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynotune04
i've already covered all this, plus you're engaging in speculation. the new 5.0 isn't going to accept large amounts of boost due to it's high compression. it's limits atthis point remain to be seen, but 500+ hp should be obtainable.

i also went on to say that if it was built to run on boost (low compression) i'm willing to bet that the new 5.0 will make some serious numbers.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

If you are referring to me.. then

I'm 37 years old, and have owned one Ford in my life. I have no allegiance to Ford. I'd rather have a Vette than a Cobra. It seems the fanboy word gets thrown out a lot in here whenever someone disagrees with another person. It reminds me of those that call people racist simply for disagree with Obama on issues.

I assure you, I am not a Ford fanboy. If you weren't referring to me, then I apologize, and move on.

I can't think of anyone else you could be referring to either. As no one here was doing anything but stating facts.

I see a fanboy as someone that would say "My stock 02 GT can take any POS GM" Or a LS1 fanboy thinking just because his car is faster than a stock Mustang, that no Mustang can beat them. I noticed you never commented about the GM fanboy that they were arguing with. Is being a fanboy only ok when said person owns the same brand as you? That circle Ford image above is probably the biggest fanboy post in this thread. I dislike fanboyisms regardless of what car they are getting their pom poms out for.

i've already covered all this, plus you're engaging in speculation. the new 5.0 isn't going to accept large amounts of boost due to it's high compression.
And others told you before, that can easily be changed. You claimed that most people will just throw it on there unchanged, which is ALSO speculation. Being that the compression can be changed, your point about it not being able to use large amounts of boost is moot.
i also went on to say that if it was built to run on boost (low compression) i'm willing to bet that the new 5.0 will make some serious numbers.
And we agree here. I can't see anyone that is going to get a 2011 running boost on it's stock compression. While I am sure there will be people that do it, word will get out that it's a bad idea, and people will start doing it right IMHO. We wont know till it comes out. That's like saying that the LS1 engine is topped because you can only get so much HP out of stock parts. Most people that want more, will go forged etc. And changing compression isn't even that detailed. Not even close .
Old 02-21-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont think there's really anything out there that can compare to a LS-9. im not sure there needs to be though really. Chevy is in a "topper" fight with lighter big turbo, or v-10/v12 european makes. i dont think ford should even try to join that. who cares about that segment. all the italians have to do is build a 600hp super light weight car.... oh its call an ENZO. or the new ferarri that has even more power and less weight.

with a million dollars per car to play with, chevy can never win that battle. ZR-1 is king here in america.

the mustang GT is finally going to compete with other stock cars. i know there are a lot of bolt on kits for the Ls-3 out there, but the 5.0 will also. i think it will come back to weight difference for most cars.

The subject of this thread was, "GM better power up". New CAFE standards are forthcoming. the days of 6.x liters is coming to an end forever.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

R U kidding me? YOur cockring has a bowtie on it. ANd YOU'Re giving us **** abotu being biased?

i've already covered all this, plus you're engaging in speculation. the new 5.0 isn't going to accept large amounts of boost due to it's high compression. it's limits atthis point remain to be seen, but 500+ hp should be obtainable.

Hmmm....dang. I guess Shelby american has their hands full for putting out a boosted 5.0 at 550hp.

There's nothing wrong with going with a blower at 11 CR. If you knew anything about FI, you'd know that. They question is only, what boost, what blower, and you had better make sure it's tuned right.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ke^in
With smaller displacement.
with 16 extra valves and 3 spare camshafts.....
Old 02-22-2010, 12:07 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ponygt65
R U kidding me? YOur cockring has a bowtie on it. ANd YOU'Re giving us **** abotu being biased?
Hmmm....dang. I guess Shelby american has their hands full for putting out a boosted 5.0 at 550hp.

There's nothing wrong with going with a blower at 11 CR. If you knew anything about FI, you'd know that. They question is only, what boost, what blower, and you had better make sure it's tuned right.
Ok I don't know what experiance ponygt has in the way of boosted motors so I'm not going to speak to that. However I have to comment on what was posted.

Yes you can add boost to any motor. But running any significant amount of boost reliably should be considered. When I say significant I mean 10PSI or more on pump gas. The issue with the GM motors are the bolts per cylinder. Having inly 4 means that the clamping forces on the heads are only good up to a point. After that the heads start to lift in between the studs. Also I wouldn't run any significant amount of boost on any motor unless I was upgrading the internals. The other issue is the ability for the block to handle the increased combustion pressures. When I ran a stock LS1 block with boost I ran the risk of the block actualy changing bore shape. Stepping up the power meant that I ran the risk of a block failure also. That's why I went to the iron block. Another thing to consider are the rotating assembly of the motor. Pistons, Rods, Crankshaft and the mains. Now I know that the new Mustang motor is stiffer than in the past. That's good news but again for boosting I wouldn't trust it with the hypereutectic pistons. I like the increased head bolt size but I have no clue how it'll handle 20 plus PSI of boost. I will say that the high revving Mustang motor would be an excellent road race track motor. Beyond that I just don't have enough information to tell whether the motor will take full out boost. I'd need to see some better specifications than I found on the Internet.

The ECOboost motor is much more interesting. Even though it's only a V-6 it could prove to be a V-8 killer in the end. Developed from the gound up to be turbocharged means it could be modified cheaply and easily and make huge power. Similar to the Supra's of yesteryear.

I've owned a 302 Boss mustang and I wish I still had it. I'd sell it and buy a ZR-1! LOL.......

BTW I believe Speed Inc is taking their shop 2010 Camaro and building a twin turbo kit for it. They tend to find the weak links to motors, tranny's etc. I'd be interested to see what's possible there. It'll also be interesting to see what's possible for the new 4.9 er 5.0 motor that's in the 2011 Mustang. Should be more fun for sure. With the new economy requirements from the goverment the V8's are going to dwindle for sure.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Old 02-22-2010, 09:09 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
thats the best summary/cliff notes of this thread.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:11 AM
12 Second Club

rednecks arguing and not searcing or reading the thread getting off topic : using ricer math to justify their argument stupid advratisments this thread sucks
Old 02-22-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chasgiv3
Ok I don't know what experiance ponygt has in the way of boosted motors so I'm not going to speak to that. However I have to comment on what was posted.

Yes you can add boost to any motor. But running any significant amount of boost reliably should be considered. When I say significant I mean 10PSI or more on pump gas. The issue with the GM motors are the bolts per cylinder. Having inly 4 means that the clamping forces on the heads are only good up to a point. After that the heads start to lift in between the studs. Also I wouldn't run any significant amount of boost on any motor unless I was upgrading the internals. The other issue is the ability for the block to handle the increased combustion pressures. When I ran a stock LS1 block with boost I ran the risk of the block actualy changing bore shape. Stepping up the power meant that I ran the risk of a block failure also. That's why I went to the iron block. Another thing to consider are the rotating assembly of the motor. Pistons, Rods, Crankshaft and the mains. Now I know that the new Mustang motor is stiffer than in the past. That's good news but again for boosting I wouldn't trust it with the hypereutectic pistons. I like the increased head bolt size but I have no clue how it'll handle 20 plus PSI of boost. I will say that the high revving Mustang motor would be an excellent road race track motor. Beyond that I just don't have enough information to tell whether the motor will take full out boost. I'd need to see some better specifications than I found on the Internet.

The ECOboost motor is much more interesting. Even though it's only a V-6 it could prove to be a V-8 killer in the end. Developed from the gound up to be turbocharged means it could be modified cheaply and easily and make huge power. Similar to the Supra's of yesteryear.

I've owned a 302 Boss mustang and I wish I still had it. I'd sell it and buy a ZR-1! LOL.......

BTW I believe Speed Inc is taking their shop 2010 Camaro and building a twin turbo kit for it. They tend to find the weak links to motors, tranny's etc. I'd be interested to see what's possible there. It'll also be interesting to see what's possible for the new 4.9 er 5.0 motor that's in the 2011 Mustang. Should be more fun for sure. With the new economy requirements from the goverment the V8's are going to dwindle for sure.
I've owned a boosted mach and an 03 cobra.

My only point is people (generally) see high CR and automatically think that's horrible for boosting. That's so not the case. As you pointed out, it depends greatly on the boost amount. Not only that (as I stated), it varies on boost type (PD, CEntrf., and turbo) along with tune. CR is also not the only thing to consider...as you pointed out there's the cylinder walls, etc. to consider. My only point is, to simply make a blinding statemetn of 'boosting high CR would be crazy' is just plain ignorant.

So in short, you and I agree.

FTR - I thinking putting a PD blower on 11CR is crazy. But, that's just me. If I did that, I wouldn't boost it very much, even with forged internals. I'd go wth a turbo or Centrif. myself.

now that was funny.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by assasinator
The subject of this thread was, "GM better power up". New CAFE standards are forthcoming. the days of 6.x liters is coming to an end forever.
What makes you think this? The "big ole" 6L V8s GMs makes are physically smaller and lighter than just about every other V8 on the market, while also being cheaper, and the cars they get put in get better gas mileage than a comparable model. Hell, they are physically smaller/lighter than many V6s on the market while getting better gas mileage as well...
Old 02-22-2010, 09:23 PM
***Repost Police***

It's not just about gas mileage... they are cracking down on emissions as well.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
It's not just about gas mileage... they are cracking down on emissions as well.
i think the new CAFE standards are going to make the rest of the US catch up to Calinam. and if the new cars can be sold for use in California and pass emissions there, the demise of these 364+ CID engines is not gonna happen soon. epsecially if they can retrofit DOD on them.

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang GT - GM better power up