Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Got called out by a diesel.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Got called out by a diesel.

Just thought this was funny. He called my car slow and said hed walk it. doesnt know anything about cars, just driving daddys truck around thinking its faster than his old grand am . His friend is takling all **** too so i thought we try and get this race over with to shut 'em up (if it doesnt. Dont know anything about it or diesels (dont even know the year lol). I think its stock, but heres a pic. Even if its modded Id assume its still going to get very ugly...

How bad is this going to get for him?
Old 08-17-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to see full size/full weight diesels eat cars up at the street races. My friends diesel truck puts down 1000 trq. No joke.

At the street races i'd see these trucks put car lengths on people. They just need a good tune.

Depending on his truck you better watch out.... Just a heads up.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

yeah ive seen my buddies truck put down 720hp and 1000tq and ate a mustang gt alive.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by matts02ws6
yeah ive seen my buddies truck put down 720hp and 1000tq and ate a mustang gt alive.
THIS!

It's true. If this guy you're gonna race is legit, you're gonna need more than headers, bro.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

What kind of truck? I had a Powerstroke 6.0 stay within a fender of my bolt-on 2002 Z28 from a dig to about 60-70.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

Like I said, the reason I'm not too worried is because its his dads truck, 99% sure its bone stock considering he doesnt know anything about cars, neither does his dad. no exhaust or anything.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WSsick
Like I said, the reason I'm not too worried is because its his dads truck, 99% sure its bone stock considering he doesnt know anything about cars, neither does his dad. no exhaust or anything.
If it is stock most diesel trucks run low 16s.

With just a tune he will be low 14s. If he has an tune and a downpipe you don't know about you could be in trouble depending on what type of race it is.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Funkster
If it is stock most diesel trucks run low 16s.

With just a tune he will be low 14s. If he has an tune and a downpipe you don't know about you could be in trouble depending on what type of race it is.
Ill ask him before the race but like I said, 99% sure its stock, and I could tell him to race to 130 and he probably agree of forget his truck is like a brick wall in the wind at those speeds
Old 08-17-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

A local on his race tune pulled an EVO IX with a tune and meth HARD out of the hole. Evo didnt catch up until around 80mph. 6.0 powerjoke.

Another with a newer duramax runs 10s. 1400tq. but he dropped some serious money
Old 08-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Depends on the mods, but diesels ain't no joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE4SLTwmEeU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbd26N1u7gI

Highly moded 5.9L Cummins can put down over 2000 ft/lbs.

I belong to some diesel forums and those guys love making their rigs into sleepers and then laying down on some Corvettes and Mustangs. You never know what's under the hood on some of those rigs.

A decent indicator of if a diesel is going to eat your luinch is if there's a lot of black smoke coming out of the tailpipe. I forget what it is about the diesel combustion process combined with turbos but basically black smoke = power. You'll notice in the tractor pulls the stacks are absolutely blackening the air with exhaust. But if they want to trick you they can leave their tuner on the low setting so they dont' make the smoke and then onyl turn it up right before the race.

J. J.

Last edited by patooyee; 08-17-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, I dont understand why everyone is telling me what it could do with money into it? (I guess cuz its the bench racing section). I asked about the scenario of him being stock, not built to run 11s. Yes, I know diesels can be fast, but this one is basically stock, so lets just stick to that. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by patooyee

Highly moded 5.9L Cummins can put down over 2000 ft/lbs.

I belong to some diesel forums and those guys love making their rigs into sleepers and then laying down on some Corvettes and Mustangs. You never know what's under the hood on some of those rigs.

A decent indicator of if a diesel is going to eat your luinch is if there's a lot of black smoke coming out of the tailpipe. I forget what it is about the diesel combustion process combined with turbos but basically black smoke = power. You'll notice in the tractor pulls the stacks are absolutely blackening the air with exhaust.

J. J.
Black is unburned fuel. Basically they are running it so rich, so they dont blow up the motor, that they just pour unburned fuel. A properly tuned diesel will NOT smoke at all.

OP, if you know its stock, why are you asking? Just destroy the truck.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Launching!

You didn't say you KNOW its stock. You said you ASSUME its stock.

J. J.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Black is unburned fuel. Basically they are running it so rich, so they dont blow up the motor, that they just pour unburned fuel. A properly tuned diesel will NOT smoke at all.

OP, if you know its stock, why are you asking? Just destroy the truck.
Properly tuned for what? Stock rigs don't put out smoke but I would hardly say they are properly tuned for performance ... even a lot of gas tuners like to run a bit rich to cool stuff down ... I get your point though.

J. J.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WSsick
Ok, I dont understand why everyone is telling me what it could do with money into it? (I guess cuz its the bench racing section). I asked about the scenario of him being stock, not built to run 11s. Yes, I know diesels can be fast, but this one is basically stock, so lets just stick to that. Thanks.
A bully dog tuner could be sitting in the glove box. Simple press of a button and your screwed. Not everyone tells what they have. We are just letting you know you could be royally screwed so dont expect an automatic win
Old 08-17-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive seen fast diesels that dont smoke at all and yet, others, that are downright stupid. Basically, you can make the SAME power without the smoke but diesel guys think its cool to blow smoke for some reason.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Ive seen fast diesels that dont smoke at all and yet, others, that are downright stupid. Basically, you can make the SAME power without the smoke but diesel guys think its cool to blow smoke for some reason.
You're probably right. I dont' know nearly enough about it to try to argue. Even within the deisel performance segment they rpobably argue about it. I do know every tuned / modded diesel I've ever seen puts out at least a little more smoke than stock though.

J. J.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

A decent indicator of if a diesel is going to eat your luinch is if there's a lot of black smoke coming out of the tailpipe. I forget what it is about the diesel combustion process combined with turbos but basically black smoke = power. You'll notice in the tractor pulls the stacks are absolutely blackening the air with exhaust. But if they want to trick you they can leave their tuner on the low setting so they dont' make the smoke and then onyl turn it up right before the race.

J. J.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hyOm0XMvRk
Old 08-17-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're probably right. I dont' know nearly enough about it to try to argue. Even within the deisel performance segment they rpobably argue about it. I do know every tuned / modded diesel I've ever seen puts out at least a little more smoke than stock though.

J. J.
Its pretty hard to get a higher powered diesel to not produce smoke because most of the time the injection pump is run by engine RPM. A larger injection pump and you get far more diesel injected but the engine isnt able to burn it all so it comes out the tail pipe.

Sommer, that was pretty funny AND stupid.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If he's stock like you think, you'll walk him hard. but I'll say, my buddy's Duramax runs 12's and he doesnt have a tremendous amount into it. The powerstrokes dont make as much power though, so even if he is tuned, you should still be 'ok', but you wont put buslengths on him like you think.

Quick Reply: Got called out by a diesel.