Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Miss Factory Freakk

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z98BOYA
well i have the 99 vette motor. with the upgrades listed above. so with the slp lid and PnP TB do you think ill have about 360?
The motors were the same pretty much. The only reason it was advertised as having more was because first: it is a Corvette, GMs flagship car, and second: it had a better flowing exhaust and intake from the factory.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

well i have the 99 vette motor. with the upgrades listed above. so with the slp lid and PnP TB do you think ill have about 360?
Possibly !
Why be so concerned about what HP the engine has ?
Dyno numbers shouldn't be used as bragging rights. A Dyno is a tuning tool, nothing more. Just mod the car and lay down some fast track times !!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you still fail to realize that the fact that your engine is out of a corvette makes absolutely no difference. are you talking flywheel horsepower or rear wheel?

and horsepower means nothing, so shoot for a time instead of a hp number, I know of auto cars almost entirely stock apart from a decent stall that run faster times than turbo cars on stock converters
Old 02-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the typical "my motor is a Corvette engine". They all were LS1's. Like the lid deal, a lid is a lid is a Lid. Same goes for the LS1. The engine is the same with minimal differences. You have a 99 Vette LS1, it is what it is. Just because it was "rated" higher doesn't mean it was better.
My car is a 2000, it was rated at 305hp, I dyno'd it bone stock, like paper air filter, no exhaust work, no cutout, nothing. Everything GM put on it. It dyno'd 298hp and 318ft/lbs. Cutout added and K&N filter, 306hp and 321ft/lbs, A4 trans. Friends 1998 Vette, stock and thru a T56 stock stock stock dyno'd 303hp, I don't recall the tq. Not much difference, only being he had a 6 speed.
Now...LT1. I had a 1995 Formula. BBK "shorties", Hypertech programmer(junk I know, needed it for the speedo and it was free), ported manifold, BBK 52mm TB, Vig 2500 stall converter, 3.73's and some suspension mods, pulley's. Dyno'd(same dyno as my T/A got put on)276hp, I might be off a couple it was a long time ago. Not a stock car and didn't get close to 300hp. Ran good though, a few tenths off my LS1's times with less power. Have a friend that has a 96 SS, no mods save for a Blowmaster, advertised as a 305hp car, not even in the same league as my T/A, and my T/A is not fast.
Moral of this..go run it. You'll see your times and you'll see what we are all talking about. The truth is in the track times not on the dyno.
Hope this makes sense, my 3 month old has kept me up since 4am
Old 02-22-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

What's up with the title?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:57 PM
Teching In

I wanna say there's a thread under the stickies in newb tech that has a magazine article cutout showing back to back dynos from a 98 vet and a 98 f bod when they first came out, the vet dynoed slightly lower to the wheel if I'm not mistaken...

Quick Reply: Miss Factory Freakk