Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

impression of 5.0 from camaro owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 10:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

[QUOTE=06blackGTO;14880716]
Originally Posted by ohioborn80

My bad. I thought you were talking about your mustang in the 10's. We have plenty of fast imports here in KC. Some in the 9's. I have yet to run a new 5.0 I would love to get a run against one, esp. the boss 302. Motor to motor. I have the goat lightened up abit. 3420 empty weight when heading to the track.
I will get new times for the 5.0 with bolt ons here in a month or so. Da will be least 2500 also. SO i suspect mid 11 range. Then next winter when home for good i hop eto catch some - to some 300 DA. That shoudl help get my 11.0-11.3 range i want with just bolt ons. I will then spray for some solid 10s.

Ya we have some 9 sec imports that like picking on about everything. Vetts/mustangs/camaros/cobras. Your GTO weighs about same as my car does right now. I should have it under 3400 here soon.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:34 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
That's a good question. What is your point

I really couldn't care less where you live. But truthfully, if you stayed in my neck of the woods you probably would have to build your own shack. You ever seen a beach with crystal blue waters?? You watch golf? Pebble Beach ring a bell??

Anyways, enough with the childish real estate talk. Let's get back to cars.
Actually the area that FOG lives in is very nice, and also purty damn expensive. As far as the rest of the discussion is concerned, I'm not gonna touch that
Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Southern CA isn't all beach and sunshine like you see on TV. Search "Big Bear, CA" and you'll see what I mean. In So. Cal alone you have everything from warm beaches and sunshine in L.A. to freezing mountains of Big Bear, to the hot & dry Mojave Desert. The climate in CA is probably more versatile than anywhere else in the country.

As for overpriced, the only thing I can think of that's expensive out here is the property. And even then I wouldn't call it overpriced, but more like you get what you pay for! I mean look at all the beautiful tourists attractions just in this one state: Los Angeles, Orange County, Big Bear, Mojave Desert, Baja, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Sonoran Desert, Monterey Bay, Half Moon Bay, Yosemite National Park, San Fransisco Bay Area, Sacramento Valley, South Lake Tahoe, Sierra Mountains. Las Vegas, Nevada just a 4-5 hour drive from Los Angeles. I can go on and on about why a car guy might want to live in this state.
I LOVE California, but believe it or not there are some gorgeous parts of Texas. It's so large, that there is an immense amount of variety in the landscape. Daniel Tosh has CA summed up pretty nicely.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbWfPtU8GwE
Originally Posted by HoLLo
Due to revised cams, new intake, and CNC ported heads. If you call that stock. OK, lets put similar mods on an LS3, then we can compare, and call it a stock LS3.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

OOooo so the Boss is a STOCK production car. It's still not the STOCK Coyote motor. Yes, it is impressive you can buy the car from the factory that way, but it's still a modded Coyote motor, a factory production car don't mean **** when you lose a race to an LS3 car with the same similar mods.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

OOooo so the Boss is a STOCK production car. It's still not the STOCK Coyote motor. Yes, it is impressive you can buy the car from the factory that way, but it's still a modded Coyote motor, a factory production car don't mean **** when you lose a race to an LS3 car with the same similar mods.
You can order it from ford. There for it isnt a modded 5.0. Its actually considered the Boss 302 that you can buy. There for it is a stock engine. Different stock numbers and all. If you can buy the LS3 in stock form like that then fine. But yep you cant. But you seem that you need an excuse. SO feel free to keep hating on it.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
You can order it from ford. There for it isnt a modded 5.0. Its actually considered the Boss 302 that you can buy. There for it is a stock engine. Different stock numbers and all. If you can buy the LS3 in stock form like that then fine. But yep you cant. But you seem that you need an excuse. SO feel free to keep hating on it.
Not hating, I clearly have been giving the 5.0 props. I'll freakin say it again. The 5.0 is a very impressive motor. But I can't agree with the BOSS motor being called a stock Coyote motor. Sure, it's in a stock production car. And sure you can't order the LS3 that way, but you can't evenly compare and say the 5.0 (when talking about the BOSS motor) puts out more horsepower than the LS3, when the BOSS car is modified with heads, cam, and intake.. Catch my drift?

AGAIN. nice motor, nice car. I'm just saying, BOSS is NOT a stock 5.0 base motor.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

Not hating, I clearly have been giving the 5.0 props. I'll freakin say it again. The 5.0 is a very impressive motor. But I can't agree with the BOSS motor being called a stock Coyote motor. Sure, it's in a stock production car. And sure you can't order the LS3 that way, but you can't evenly compare and say the 5.0 (when talking about the BOSS motor) puts out more horsepower than the LS3, when the BOSS car is modified with heads, cam, and intake.. Catch my drift?

AGAIN. nice motor, nice car. I'm just saying, BOSS is NOT a stock 5.0 base motor.
I understand what your saying. They dont consider the Boss engine a Coyote motor either, threw ford its is listed as the 5.0 Boss 302. Price is 11k. Still not bad for what you get. 440hp/380tq and completely forged internals.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12865

Ford Racing's aluminum 5.0L Mustang Boss 302 crate engine is a modern 5.0L 32-valve DOHC V-8 that uses advanced features like Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) and high flow CNC cylinder heads to deliver 444 horsepower and 380 ft.-lb.+ of torque (with premium fuel)

* 11.0:1 compression ratio
* Lightweight aluminum cylinder block features cross-bolted main bearing caps and thick main bearing bulkheads for bottom-end strength
* Features large sump 8.5 qt oil pan with revised oil pan baffling for improved oil control under hard cornering
* Revised composite intake system with shorter runners, inspired by Ford Racing's Daytona Prototype engine program
* 80 mm single bore "drive by wire" throttlebody
* High-strength aluminum-alloy cylinder heads with fully CNC-machined ports and chambers for exceptional high-rpm airflow without sacrificing low-speed torque
* Sodium-filled exhaust valves for improved heat dissipation
* Forged aluminum pistons and upgraded sinter-forged connecting rods for improved strength
* Includes manual transmission engine harness and flywheel
* Vehicle harness and PCM not included
* Boss 302 crate engine shown with optional Ford blue coil pack covers FRPP part # : M-6P067-M50B and NVH insulator pads, Ford dealer part # :CR3Z-6N041-A. sold separately.
* Engine mount bosses and bellhousing mount pattern common to 4.6L modular engines.
* Photo and specs may vary.
* Engine weight: 444 lbs
Old 05-08-2011, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Ohio you really need some basic grammar and spelling classes. It hurts to read your posts and makes it hard to believe you're out of 6th grade.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I would like a little more torque from that Boss 5.0 motor, still a badass all around performance vehicle.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:12 PM
***Repost Police***

So what you're saying is, the LS6 wasn't a stock production engine?
Old 05-09-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
So what you're saying is, the LS6 wasn't a stock production engine?
It was, it had a different block.

However, I just thought of something myself. If the BOSS actually has a different block then I retract all my statements. But what I've read says the mods include heads, intake, and cams only. So, if it's a new block I was wrong.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:27 PM
***Repost Police***

It also has forged internals.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

The boss engine has more changes than the ls6. To call it not stock is beyond retarded.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1BDM...e_gdata_player
Old 05-11-2011, 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I love porkchop sandwiches.

GTFO!
Old 05-15-2011, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FOG52
And a smaller engine with less reciprocating and rotational mass making more horse power can accelerate its revolutions faster. One of the reasons you don't see a lot of diesel race cars. Look at Ferrari and Lamborghini their engines are fairly small and are OHC and fast reving engines.
i don't think you want to bring diesel's into this, that's a WHOLE different league. slow revving??? not really. 1.5 seconds from idle (600rpm) to redline (3200rpm) out of a 18L Cat. don't exactly call that slow to rev. especially when you consider that each cylinder is 5.7" across and weighs 22lbs each. and that the engine has a 7.2" stroke too.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Launching!

I can't believe I just wasted 1hr of my employers time and money to read all of this. But from what I've gathered.
The 5.0L is WAY better than the 6.3L LS3...........
LS3 heads don't flow for ****!!!!!!!!
Ford is supreme!!!!!!!!!
The next ford 600-620hp is gonna kick the **** out of the next ZL1 (whose curren engine already makes more than that.
All GM fans should shoot themselves because they suck and drive shitty cars.

I understand, trash talking is most of the fun of hot rodding. After the race, it's all over till the next one. But C'mon. Those guys racing go carts with the "5hp briggs" could give everyone a lesson on HP/L lol

Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna go burn my POS LS1 Fbody and jump off the roof.

Quick Reply: impression of 5.0 from camaro owner