Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Full suspension with little power times

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full suspension with little power times

So I'll be coming into some good coin here over the next 6 months and want to finally do something to the car to give it some good ooomph. I have an idea of the direction I want to go in; looking for some suggestions on how the performance would be at the track based on what I'm thinking...

First off, I originally had the noob mentality of more power = better. After reading tons of threads over the last year or so I've come to understand that power ain't **** without the ability to properly hook. I've also seen this first hand at our track when one of our locals took a stock Coyote and pushed it into the 12's with only suspension and tire mods. I know this seems slow by LS1 standards but we are in Albuquerque, with typical DAs of 7,000, and stock LS1 f-bodies run 14.xx@98ish. This Mustang guy has yanked the heck out of a sprayed Z06 and a Viper on the street and has been making a name for himself for being so quick without ever touching oil.

So, with all that being said, how much of a contender at the track would my '01 Z28 be with good coin dropped into tire, suspension, and drivetrain? Stall, built tranny, chromoly driveshaft, Moser 12 rear, fattie tires, and all the suspension goodies?

My goal right now is to have something that will rip asphalt out of the ground from a dig consistently and safely. I also want to drop in a small cam, around the 228 range, to compliment my full exhaust and add a little pep without sacrificing drivability on my way to work.

I don't care about dyno numbers; I'm only interested in how a car like mine with those mods would perform on the track. Would it be enough for high 11s at a track with a better DA? For the seasoned track pros amonst you, any ideas how it would perform up here a mile high in the desert with those 7,000 DAs that I mentioned?

Any help would be appreciated. Just trying to see if this is a direction worth going in before spending all that money.

Quick Reply: Full suspension with little power times