Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Oh Beantown....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:49 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,096 Likes on 720 Posts

Default Oh Beantown....

I'm contemplating a visit to Boston. I grew up there (Brookline and Quincy), so I've been talking to the wife about spending a week out there. I have not been back there since the mid 90's, whaddaya guys think? I'd prolly do some touristy stuff like Plimouth Plantation and Sturbridge Village too.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if you're looking for touristy ideas or to get together with folks from the boards or both...

As far as "touristy stuff" there are a couple of day trips I'd recommend. The first which has always been well recieved by friends and family is Lexington and Concord with a walk around Walden Pond while in the area.

The second day trip is driving out to Gloucester Ma. and checking out the sites there. Rockport which is in the area is a cool little area to check out with many good places to take pictures. Good Harbor beach is a very cool beach in the area but I'd wait until late summer to go in the water.

For a longer over night trip ideas I'd suggest Martha vineyard and Nantucket.

For local to Boston I'd suggest taking a duck tour from the museum of science. Let someone else experience the joy that is driving in Boston so you don't have to

Take it easy
Brewski
Old 01-19-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Junkie

What time of the year are you planning a trip?
Old 01-19-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just put in a HardRock Cafe on Lansdowne, but from what I hear it'll be more of a rock venue than anything, maybe not a family thing.

If you're not coming until summer you should come the week of the Worcester Summer Nationals. Car guys pretty much take over the downtown.

OT but damn I love the old Mercs. I say dogdish, flat black and a flathead, but hey, I don't even have one. Looks sick anyhow.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

don't come now. the snow has been insane so far. want some touristy stuff? hang around the garden after a celtics and bruins game.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:48 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I grew up there guys, I lived there through high school, I know how the weather is, I would go there in summer.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I grew up there guys, I lived there through high school, I know how the weather is, I would go there in summer.
If you grew up here,we would figure you could spell Plymouth right
Old 01-20-2009, 05:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Some of the popular spots are:

Newport, RI
Cape Cod
Martha's vineyard/Nantucket
Old 01-20-2009, 07:02 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No one can spell Plymouth right. It is spelled three different ways on seperate highways. Fox25 news had a big story about it a few months back.

I lived in South Boston for 23 years. 11 months of that I lived in Quincy and now I am 20 miles out of Southie....about 10 miles from Braintree/Quincy. I love Boston, I wouldnt want to live anywhere else; it's home so I feel like it will be the only place I'll ever regonize on that level. Coming from your climate, property prices and way of living, I dont know if you could have that quality of life in a congested area like the inner city of even Quincy without spending a very very very large amount of cash.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lived on the corner of Mass Ave and Boylston for three years and on Commonwealth right between Fairfield and Gloucester for a year (Berklee grad 02-06). My favorite part about Boston is just being able to walk around in a nice city that's aesthetically pleasing and not laid out like a grid.

If you're into jazz, I recommend spending a mid-week late night up at the Top of the Hub (restaurant at the top of the Pru). They close off the restaurant part and turn it into a lounge with great jazz, random ensembles every night but all top notch musicians. Pricey food but totally worth it and great music. Not to mention a kicass view of the city at night from about 50 stories up. It can definitely be romantic or just laid back if that's what you're going for but don't bother on a Friday or Saturday night because you'll wait an hour or more just to get up in the elevator, and then wait longer when you do make it up there.

And feel free to take a Duck Tour, but if you go around quacking at people on the streets from the boat, I'll personally come up there and kick your *** myself. That had to be the most annoying thing on earth EVERY DAY. Well, besides the obnoxious Red Sox fans.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Internet Mechanic

Take a Red Sox game, my wife and I have open day box seats
Old 01-20-2009, 11:04 AM
8 second mod

PSJ, theres always a trip to the NOYZEE garage. you will leave a new man. lol

around me (peabody) theres a few things. like salem, which stuff, the willows, some real hot night spots,, NED is 45 min from me. if your here and its nice and your close, feel free to hit me up, i have boats, race's parties etc etc and id be willing to take you around some. bring your knee pads tho.

on a serios note, if you wanted to try to get a few guys from here together for some beers, that would be cool, id try to make the trip
Old 01-20-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 For Gloucester/Rockport, and if you want to go further Cape Cod is awesome.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

Your welcome to hang on the cape with us out takes
Old 01-20-2009, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

i'd be down for a meet up... the salem/beverly is very nice and historic... rockport is beautiful... or u could come to haverhill and get shot... w/e u want lol. i suggest Noyzee's garage... just get ready to be fed bud heavys all night lol
Old 01-21-2009, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Formula413
+1 For Gloucester/Rockport, and if you want to go further Cape Cod is awesome.
another +1 for Gloucester/Rockport. Bearskin Neck in Rockport is a good place to bring the wifey. Also Hampton beach, just over the NH border (which is relativley pretty close to new england dragway)

if you like touristy stuff, Boston is infinite... paul revere's house, bunker hill, old north church, USS Constitution, Fanuiel Hall/Quincy Market, old state house, New England Aquarium, Museum of Science, Cheers, Sam Adams brewery... the north end, downtown crossing, china town, the combat zone... the list goes on and on
Old 01-21-2009, 04:26 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Are there still clubs/ rock clubs on Lansdowne (sp?) Street?

I went to BC High on Columbia Point.

I'm down for a gtg, plans are not firm yet.

Hilltop steak house still around?
Old 01-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Uhh yeah theres still some clubs on landsdown, but the axis and the avalon are no longer there, putting a house of blues in.

theres plenty to do around here touristy. but catch a ball game, thats always the best.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Uhh yeah theres still some clubs on landsdown, but the axis and the avalon are no longer there, putting a house of blues in.

theres plenty to do around here touristy. but catch a ball game, thats always the best.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hilltop is still around but 10 minutes north of the city.

My parents live across the street from BC High (Columbia Point aka Harbor Point).