Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Results of falling asleep at the wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have found putting the ac on blast, dropping the windows, and turning the music up works pretty well but 75% of the time i will take a nap on the side of the road
Old 01-22-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats noramally what i do but honestly man it was like a light switch i was wide awake then next thing i know bang!!! lol
Old 01-23-2009, 05:51 AM
TECH Junkie

I had 2 friends who were driving together from working all night and both fell asleep. They hit a tree head on doing 65-70. Needless to say they are not here today

I remember going to the scene and finding their shoes and seeing the glass lodged into the tree

I worked 3rd shift for a short time, and i swear I fell asleep everyday driving home.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:50 AM
On The Tree

dam count your blessings
Old 01-23-2009, 06:55 AM
TECH Addict

Glad you are alive and doing well. This happened to me in very first brand new F-Body 99 Z28 back in 2000 . I fell asleep coming home from NY and i did a 360 in the middle of 3 lanes on the Garden state parkway and ended up in the middle grass. Didn't damage my car or anything else but it scarred me shitlless.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Krazy98Z28 im really sorry to hear that man. but yea it gets freaking tough sometimes like no matter what you do you just stay tired .

CJDZ24_z28 YEA man awesome you didnt do any damage to the car lol. luckily there was no one else on the road lol
Old 01-23-2009, 03:44 PM
10 Second Club

I'm sure you are happy to be in good shape after that! One of the worst experiences of my life was walking in to my friends hospital room after he fell asleep and flipped his car. Seeing him hooked up to machines with his mother and brother there knowing that he would never walk again and have limited function from his arms and hands for the rest of his life. Just thinking about that day shakes me up a little. One of my fathers friends died the same way driving from Va. to Ma. Gaurdrail cut him in half. You were very lucky and I'm glad your still able to post about your experience.

Larry
Old 01-26-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Junkie

I used to drive tired... now I just pull over. Even if I fall asleep for 15 minutes I feel great. Once I wanted to sleep for 15 minutes and woke up 3 hours later... that sucked
Old 01-27-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

When I used to drive up from NC after work to MD, I'd get like a jolt or heavily caffeinated beverage and eat sunflower seeds. I guess the act of cracking the shell and spitting it out the window helped keep me awake. Nonetheless, I'd still get tired and fall asleep for like a split second and wake up thinking I was going to crash. I guess we've all been lucky to not have crashed. Good thing you were ok, the truck can be replaced, your life or amputated body parts cannot. Nice gesture also in offering to talk to fellow sleepy drivers. I don't think many people would put their number out there like you did.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johns00Z28
When I used to drive up from NC after work to MD, I'd get like a jolt or heavily caffeinated beverage and eat sunflower seeds. I guess the act of cracking the shell and spitting it out the window helped keep me awake. Nonetheless, I'd still get tired and fall asleep for like a split second and wake up thinking I was going to crash. I guess we've all been lucky to not have crashed. Good thing you were ok, the truck can be replaced, your life or amputated body parts cannot. Nice gesture also in offering to talk to fellow sleepy drivers. I don't think many people would put their number out there like you did.

true but like i said i just dont want anyone to have to go through what i did its ******* scary as ****!!!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 02:41 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad to hear you're ok. That's how my career with Sunoco ended. I was working 18 hour shifts with only 12 hours off in between and driving 200-300 miles each night. Needless to say, I wasn't sleeping well and finally nodded off and took off the driver's side mirror on I-95 by Philly international. Fortunately it was just a wake up call and I wasn't hurt.

I called my boss and told her I fell asleep behind the wheel and her first question wasn't if I was alright, but was how much damage did I do to the company truck.... I knew then that I was done.