Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Results of falling asleep at the wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy Results of falling asleep at the wheel

alright guys i came home to pick up my grandfather pickup to start moving stuff from va back to my parents house in md. and it was really late after the inaugaration which i marched down constitution. i really dont remember much i just remember hitting the guard rail then pulling off to the side of the road. great things about seat belts and airbags they DO work. please people everyone out there. if you ever get tired or drowsy while driving call me 410-920-9133 i know im going out on a limb but waking up to an airbag deploying in my face and seeing the gaurdrail crimple infront of me was one of the scariest moments in my life and i dont wanna anyone else to go through it. i am young so i can handle being woken up for a few minutes to BS about cars, guns and cars lol just anything to help you stay awake. just an offer. here are some pics. i absolutely loved this truck. i was planing on taking over payments to help out my 68 year old grandfather so he could get something newer and better. i loved this truck im just happy to be alive. please people please wear your seatbelts and be careful. [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-21-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man that was a hard hit. glad your ok, the truck is replacable-life is not
Old 01-21-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea defintaly im gonna try and talk my grandfather into buying it back so i can rip the 5.3 and trans out and pull the rear and rims off. and part out the interior. i think money wise we could make soooo much more. cause i can look in and the motor wasnt touched. and the front right wheel looks like it will still hold air. so mainly its a bent frame but alot of really really really nice salvagable parts. i tried to give him the title to my 94 Z28 383 as compensation and he wouldnt take it. i told him i was goin to sell it for anything i could get but he told me that if i sold it then he would sell everything he has. ( 4 boats. 25+ footers. a '68 shortbed with a 468 bbc fully custom a 75 c10 bult 355 a ful custom motorcycle and a jetski) and then turn around and give the money away. so needless to say he is very very stubborn i guess thats where i get it from. wow sorry for rambling on. im gonna stop now lol
Old 01-21-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

so if I call ya... you want me to just say... from LS1tech.. I am tired lol..
Old 01-21-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

HEY MAN whatever you want. lol im here to hook people up. im in the military ive been called at 2, 3, and 4 in the morning asking me to go pick them up cause they were drunk. i have no problem doing what i can to make sure someone else is safe and doesnt have to go through what i have already went through. lol
Old 01-21-2009, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

****... glad you're ok. i've had a close call or two... i get really relaxed when i drive at night. i'll pull over at a gas station and take a nap if i have to. it aint worth it to risk it.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow dude, glad youre alright, but putting your number up on a public forum is pretty dumb. you'll get all kinds of **** calling you now. lol.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Happened to me before, me and a buddy were coming home from a party in high school, we were the dd's so we drove everyone home and of course I forgot my phone at the party. At five in the morning we went back to get it and on the way back we both fell asleep. Luckily there were rocks right off the shoulder before it went down a hill. Scary stuff. Definitely wasn't worth that for a cell phone or anything for that matter.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

When I start getting drowsy on long trips I start texting people and the words come out on the other end like Im drunk texting. lol
Old 01-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Glad to see your OK, could of been alot worse if you flipped it.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang man glad your ok. Yea it helps alot to call folks and talk for a few minutes to wake you up a little. I know when Im getting to tired I will start calling paople and my words run together like im drunk. yes seatbelts do wonders.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Launching!

good thing you are okay man.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

that sucks, glad your not hurt.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:54 AM
TECH Addict

I had a near crash once. I was driving down the highway in the left lane, there was a concrete divider say 8" from the left side of me. I must have closed my eyes for 1-2 seconds and I woke up to my left front tire almost riding up the base of this divider. Luckily I was able to jerk the wheel slightly to the right and save it. No damage to the truck or anything. It sure as hell woke my *** up. I've been driving for 10+ years now and this is the first (and last) time this will ever happen to me.

Sorry to hear about your truck
Old 01-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Launching!

damn man good thing you're ok...if i find my eyes gettin heavy i do the pull over and sleep for 10-20 minutes thing...it works wonders.

i hope you meant the left front tire not right front, cause that right front wont hold air ever again. haha.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shtnfrds
wow dude, glad youre alright, but putting your number up on a public forum is pretty dumb. you'll get all kinds of **** calling you now. lol.

i really dont care. if you all wanna call my phone and be ******* ******. ill do like i do to debt collectors i will anwser and put the phone next to a speaker so you can listen to my hold music untill i feel like talking. but hopefully there is atleast one time that someone needs help and they do call.

TUGBOAT: i looked at the wheel it looks pretty decent. obviously i would need a new tire lmao but o well.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

In the military huh.I guess you never payed attention or believed all the safety videos and safety briefings that we have to go through because of stuff like this.glad your ok atleast
Old 01-22-2009, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

Wow that looks like you hit hard. Glad your ok. I have had a few close calls myself.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Wow, glad you're okay. I always worry about that, I nod off some times comming back from work.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Launching!

Good to hear you are ok. It happened to me way back in 88' after being up over 36 hours.... broke my neck and back, deflated a lung and it ejected my girlfriend out the window. She got pretty cut up and broke her pelvis. No airbags in the 85' bird though. Luck was on our side as we were able to heal up afterwards. Quite an experice for sure. I don't even remember the 1+ hour ride home that night. Definately pull over and wake yourself up somehow.