Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV
View Poll Results: What should i major in?
History Education
9.09%
History w/ a economics minor and political science minor
22.73%
other
68.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Another wtf should i do with my life? thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wont lie i have been pressured to go to college esp from my parents.... big time... but i guess while im here i should just get as much as i can out of it (aka double major in history and economics) at least that way when i get out it will look at least a little bit better on a resume.... i just wonder what kind of job i could get with those two degrees
Old 01-27-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how are your grades? this probably more important to a potential employer compared to having majored in something and done poorly. you also have to realize, and this is a shock to alot of people getting out of college, that you have no experience so even though you have a degree your basically starting from the bottom so its not a big deal to get into something else and work up. a degree is just a piece of paper in the end, its what you do with what you learn thats important
also, dont take this advice to heart bro, do what you feel is right. i just feel like i was in a similiar position so i might have alittle insight into what your thinking
Old 01-27-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Regular

What do you want to do?

I am a Political Science- International Relations major, for the record.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

I got a degree in Computer Repair and Networking Technology, and now Im a mechanic. I didnt know what I wanted to go to school for, but my family pressured me into going.

I didn't like my job working at a hospital on computers all day, now Im working for a dealership and it isn't really that great but the pay is ok.

This probably doesnt help either but at least you know your not the only one who didn't know what they wanted to do, or still dont.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Launching!

I highly recommend engineering if you can handle the math. Any kind of engineering electrical , mechanical, chemical etc. You can always step into management once you have proven yourself if you want to. If I had it to do over I would get into geology and do petroleum exploration. Huge money and you get to work outside. travel is great when you are young but gets old fast when you have a family.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

lol i have no idea what i want to do.... but i feel like double majoring in history and economics will give me the broadest spectrum of options in the end....
Old 01-27-2009, 07:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
lol i have no idea what i want to do.... but i feel like double majoring in history and economics will give me the broadest spectrum of options in the end....
correct if your looking to get paid double major and look for work in the field of finance. things are rough now but don't worry about that. also get an internship if you can. that's how you get your foot in the door.

not too many people have jobs doing what they love to do and thats why work sux. if work is going to suck you might as well get paid the most for doing it. history will not pay you more than a job in finance unless you have a masters and get into teaching. still if your good you make more in finance than you ever will being a history teacher.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last nite on the Discovery channel I was watching a show about circuses. Most travelling circuses are made up of familes that have children and require that an education be provided by law. These hire teachers to travel with them and also winter with them in Florida to continue teaching.

So I choose education.....And join the circus...cause business is the same thing without the fun.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man you need to talk to someone that can help you out. I can't give advise to you on the subject but I am sure there are people at you school that can and are paid to do it. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

i guess it really is up to me in the end... and since i have a hard time making decisions im not gonna get too far lol
Old 01-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Do what you enjoy. I know it sounds good to go to engineering and all that ****, but if you ******* hate it, its not worth it.

Im currently a 1st year marketing major and love it since im an outgoing person and enjoy being creative. I have to accept that my starting pay will be ****, but marketing is a field that you grow big, rarely start big.

So if you enjoy history then stick with it, as long as you are happy with your job its all that matters. If you want some stories about people who hate their ******* jobs but make well over 150k a year i can give you alot of examples.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thankfully my parents made me go to a tech high school.Did electrical while there and stayed with it because I was money hungry.

There are 5 zillion people going with non-dirty jobs.If you like working with your hands and want to make some good money you should look into the trades.A few are dying off on new people so in the future they will be the best paying.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Thankfully my parents made me go to a tech high school.Did electrical while there and stayed with it because I was money hungry.

There are 5 zillion people going with non-dirty jobs.If you like working with your hands and want to make some good money you should look into the trades.A few are dying off on new people so in the future they will be the best paying.
thats exactly what i was thinking! like all these kids going to college... college college college... how many paper pushers can this world really have? i feel like things r gonna get reversed and tradesmen are gonna make more in time... i dn i really wish i went to a tech school but i didnt
Old 01-28-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say go with the Economics and History double major. That way you can try out the finance/business world, and if the economy is in the same state it is when you graduate and you cant find a finance/business position then teach full/part time and wrench on the weekends for extra cash. I double majored in Economics and Business as the reqs for each were near identical. Now I have a double masters (Master in Finance (MSF) and Masters in Business & Admin (MBA) and even being in finance with the way the industry is I have still have received a few offers to leave my current position as a senior financial analyst for Fidelity to go elsewhere. The jobs are out there, and the more education the better your chance of snagging a good one. I suggest though if you fall in love with Finance or History go get your MBA or a Masters in Education (not sure what its called but the teaching equiv. of an MBA) as soon as possible because first off your still in "school" mode and second it will set you apart from the rest of the pack. I just turned 27 and im so glad I have most of my education behind me as once your married/have kids/buy house/etc your free time to do anything is minimal. Good luck and keep at it!
Old 01-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Teching In

I voted other, went to a tech school my self, 4 years of Heating,sheetmetal,refigeration,Ac. wanted to into the Electrical feild but found that math was lil to much for me, as with all the codes and regulations that massachusetts has, So i graduated with a B+ in shop and an A in hvac Theory, but had no idea what i was gona do when i go out, I worked for residential places (sucked involved crawling insulation all over my body and being in attics when it was 105 outside) money was ok.. moved up to a commerical hvacr place 2 man operation, i made out like a bandit. then my daughter was born, guy closed his 2man operation and moved souf, and i became unemployed. soo all the money i had went to the lil one. So now im looking at goin back to school to learn to rebuild semi hermetic compressors $$$$$. But if you like his history man you should stay with it, when i graduated hs, history was my fav i had awesome teachers that inspired me, and it was just fun learnin about the past. When it comes down too it all its what you love, Because everyday your going to have to do it for the rest of your life. again EVERYDAY FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. so try to keep that in concideration when you pick your major.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

yea i loe history... but i dn if i'd like teaching.... but wtf else could u do with a history degree?
Old 01-28-2009, 03:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Can you volunter at a school? Technically you have to do co-ops to find what you would like.

The biggest problem you have right now is you haven't tried anything.That can add up to a rocky future.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
thats exactly what i was thinking! like all these kids going to college... college college college... how many paper pushers can this world really have? i feel like things r gonna get reversed and tradesmen are gonna make more in time... i dn i really wish i went to a tech school but i didnt
its already happening, most people i know in the trades make the same or more than people with college degrees in buisness and such. average age for my trade is 45+ and people arent getting into it like they once did so 10 years down the road, most will be retiring and guys my age who stuck with it will be sitting pretty. same deal with engineering, basically i plan on being a double threat doing the 2 jobs no one wants to do lol as far as history degree, you can work as a teacher, or doing research. both arent in hugh demand at the moment but if it interests you go for it. id rather be happy and broke then hate my job and be making stupid money
Old 01-28-2009, 06:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Trade jobs are high paying right now. Figure if you work in an office,have to buy a bunch of suites,travel expense ect.
As a trade person it is normal to make 6 figure's nowadays.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

maybe i should just dropout and become a mechanic... im a tire and lube guy at sullivan tire now... and i am learing a lot between working with the expirenced guys and working on my own car... plus i do enjoy it most ofthe time... i dn tho i guess finishing school and getting two BA's in history and economics couldnt hurt, plus i dont wanna become that guy who loved cars then it became his professin and now he cant stand cars as a hobby.... def dont want that to happen... Noyzee actually told me that... that if ur a true enthuiest u wouldnt make it ur career... but i dn