Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV
View Poll Results: What should i major in?
History Education
9.09%
History w/ a economics minor and political science minor
22.73%
other
68.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Another wtf should i do with my life? thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. join military and learn how to kill things
2. kill things in the military
3. get out of military
4. become a mercenary
5. kill things for more money
6. retire and settle down
7. move next to neighbors that dont know you killed things your whole life.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

There is no reason to become a paper pusher if it isn't who you are. I love trades, have been doing them for years (during the summers), but that is an interest of mine. My PASSION is my studies. I debated a trade school but 1. My high school wouldn't have let me. and 2. I just don't think I would ever be satisfied doing that for a living. You need to pick something that you can see yourself becoming a part of. Ultimately, your work defines who you are!
Old 01-29-2009, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dn i have no idea what i wanna do
Old 01-29-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Formula413
I know it sucks having to decide what you want to do for the rest of life at such a young age. It's a stupid system if you ask me. I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do so the answer ended up being nothing. I still don't really have a career field, and I barely make any money. But I would rather be where I am now than stuck in a field I don't like and still paying off student loans for it. I guess I'm not really helping, am I...
x2 so glad I didnt go the college route, so many of my friends are in the same boat as the OP and from what I hear its very hard to find jobs these days. sorry OP, im not helping either am I?
Old 01-29-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

History = Politics
Look up any idea and you will see the result before the next elected official makes the same mistake.
Economics = History of Math
Look up any proposed tax idea and you will see the results before the next elected official makes the same mistake.

History with the two minors will open you up to piles of possibilities in government and private sector. I would suggest placing any left over electives you have in the marketing realm since it is a nice way to tie the three concepts together with an applicable result.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a teacher of History and English. I can confirm that there is not oodles of money in it. You CAN actually make decent money depending on the school district, though. There are two super-awesome things about teaching:

1. It is an honorable profession that, on many days, makes you feel very good

2. Summers off is just plain unbeatable. It means an amount of time for family, friends, and hobbies that you just CANNOT get at other jobs.

That being said, it isn't for everyone.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

How far are you in college? If it isn't for you then it isn't, but if you're 3 years in you might as well finish up.

Go see some advisorS. Educational and Career. Get some different opinions from people who's job it is to know everybody else's job.

My advice: If you like something specific, don't do it as a career. You like turning wrenches, but you can work with cars and not have to turn wrenches all day to the point where it sucks. Shop owners/managers etc. Same goes for something you won't make enough $ on. Unless you're going to teach or write, there isn't much use for history majors. Get a decent job that allows you to read all the history you want in your spare time.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sundaydriver
So I choose education.....And join the circus...cause business is the same thing without the fun.
That's f-n funny!

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
maybe i should just dropout and become a mechanic... im a tire and lube guy at sullivan tire now... and i am learing a lot between working with the expirenced guys and working on my own car... plus i do enjoy it most ofthe time... i dn tho i guess finishing school and getting two BA's in history and economics couldnt hurt, plus i dont wanna become that guy who loved cars then it became his professin and now he cant stand cars as a hobby.... def dont want that to happen... Noyzee actually told me that... that if ur a true enthuiest u wouldnt make it ur career... but i dn
i dn i have no idea what i wanna do
Finish school. Especially since you don't know what you want to do, dropping out now makes the last 2 years worthless. Work on the double major and trust me, things will change over the next 2 years and you very well may figure out what you want to do.

MOST people have no idea what they want to do at your point in life, and even the ones that DO know what they want to do end up DOING SOMETHING ELSE anyway.

I started at one college in one major, then transferred to another college and another major, then graduated from the second college with a 3rd completely different major. And guess which of the areas of study I'm working in now?

NONE OF THEM!

And I'm much happier and much better off where I am than I could have ever thought, planned or expected. Some decisions can't be made 2 years ahead of time, so don't feel like you need to.

Now go out and enjoy some of the bext years of your life!
Old 02-01-2009, 12:22 PM
11 Second Club

thx CTSV thats the advice i really needed.... now i need to figure out how to bag some chicks... kinda in a ****** slump over here
Old 02-01-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

You are **** either way. Get the degree in what you want. and then spend the next 10 years of you life paying back loans, working in a shitty job that pays crap. and that is even if you can get a job in the industry that you want. OR you can go and get yourself a business degree like the other 1.3 billion college students in this country and work a 9-5 for a company that is just going to ****-can your *** once they cant afford for the CEO's family to take another vacation.......... best bet is to work for the government in a Registry of Deeds Office or some **** like that. Or get hit by a city bus and collect unemployment and settlement checks for the next 15-20 years.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

thx CTSV thats the advice i really needed.... now i need to figure out how to bag some chicks... kinda in a ****** slump over here
Exactly! That's the kind of thing you're supposed to be worried about as a college student, banging chicks, not planning out the rest of your life!

Originally Posted by 8ALTNG
You are **** either way. Get the degree in what you want. and then spend the next 10 years of you life paying back loans, working in a shitty job that pays crap. and that is even if you can get a job in the industry that you want. OR you can go and get yourself a business degree like the other 1.3 billion college students in this country and work a 9-5 for a company that is just going to ****-can your *** once they cant afford for the CEO's family to take another vacation.......... best bet is to work for the government in a Registry of Deeds Office or some **** like that. Or get hit by a city bus and collect unemployment and settlement checks for the next 15-20 years.

Ok Mr. Negative. Do you know where I can get a decent length of rope?
Old 02-01-2009, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CTSV_510
Exactly! That's the kind of thing you're supposed to be worried about as a college student, banging chicks, not planning out the rest of your life!

hell yeah! me and my ex (who also lives on campus) just broke up, im always kinda shakey at meetin girls right after a relationship... i dn what my deal is... its always like i need to re-learn how to be a attractive guy.... it sux i justw anna bang some ***** and forget about her but i feel like its impossible right now!

but on the topic, ur right.... ima go with the flow, get as many degree's as i can and figure out the rest as i go along.... thats always been my style anyways

hahahaha
Old 02-01-2009, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CTSV_510

hell yeah! me and my ex (who also lives on campus) just broke up, im always kinda shakey at meetin girls right after a relationship... i dn what my deal is... its always like i need to re-learn how to be a attractive guy.... it sux i justw anna bang some ***** and forget about her but i feel like its impossible right now!

but on the topic, ur right.... ima go with the flow, get as many degree's as i can and figure out the rest as i go along.... thats always been my style anyways
Old 02-01-2009, 04:29 PM
CT Hotness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I can recommend anything, search the job openings for your perspective major before doing it. You don't want to be one of those people who graduate and get a job that has nothing to do with their degree and could have done out of HS. Honestly, from what I have seen (just graduated in May), Engineering and Business majors are the only people I have known to leave college, have more job offers than they can count on one hand, and make good money with 4 year degree. History major would only get you in a school and you'd still have to get your masters to teach and the people I know that did they wanted nothing else to do in the world but teach. Do it right the first time.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Teching In

honestly i dont kno much about being in haverill, other then its in the middle of no where and on the line of NH. I was in the same postion as you, Single just broke up with my woman of 3 years, not an idea how to talk to chickies, BUT let me break it down for you. ******,skeezas,*****,strippers, or any girl thats just tryin to get her smash on, There looking for someone with dough (if your not that impressive in the looks section) Thats all that there about, that and the gray goose. You could come down to me and slowhawks area. Ill take you down to brigewater state, NOW im telling you for a fact you could litteraly bag them an tag them there, it dosent take much to talk to them neither as almost all bsc girls just wanna get there smash on and move on to there next victim. Sometimes when im bored and in the area, i can just walk though that campus tell girls yeah i go school here blah blah blah end up walkin out of that place with like 5 numbers. its not easy bein skeezy
Old 02-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Teching In

oh you an you must have "swag" cause if you dont, girls will just take advantage of you.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

lol trust me i kno, eastern MA girls r easy as ****... these western MA girls r all stuck up! back in haverhill its so much easier lol