Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

24 Hours of LeMons Stafford Springs July

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 24 Hours of LeMons Stafford Springs July

hey guys,
ive been following this for a few years and it seems like its taken off and they are going to be having a race at Stafford Springs in CT. since its local i was thinking about finding a car and entering it. anybody else interested in doing this? seems like it would a lot of fun.
here's the link if you want more info: http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/
as of this moment, i need the car and 4-5 other drivers. i was thinking with some luck we might be able to find a beat LT1 with a decent motor as i doubt any LSX vehicles are going to be found for under $500 but one never knows... im open to any ideas though.
Bill
Old 01-31-2009, 08:11 PM
Launching!

I would definitely be up for this. I would recommend a crown vic or grand marquis if available. I had great luck enduro racing a 94 grand marquis. the damage they can withstand is incredible and they actually handle pretty good on a circle track. Took a hard semi head on hit that put the left front a arm through the block to finally kill mine.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool bro. ill put them on my list as options. its awhile out, got until May to find something. id like to keep everything as close to $500 as possible in the sprint of the race. A car that someone was going to send to the junk yard that still runs would be ideal but gotta take what we can get.
to enter the event is $500 per car plus $100 per driver, if you need a lisence to drive its an additional $50. i was thinking 5 drivers and we split it evenly so as of right now it would be $200 or $250 if you need a lisence. would people be willing to do this?
i was/ am hoping to find an 4th gen fbody on the hope that for the safety/ brakes part we might be able to get donations or borrow parts to keep costs down while having as much fun as possible. nothing is in concrete so any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

ive known about the lemons race for a few years. dont get your hopes up too much. there are alot of really stupid rules/penalties they dish out. once an hour, every hour, they pull a car number out of a hat. they then destroy the car......no matter what place youre in, no matter how far you traveled to get there, or the thousands of dollars in car, maintenance, trailering, gas/tolls, time off from work youve spent. you could show up, race an hour, and basically get kicked out. the 'judges' that run it are 2 fat douches with a superiority complex.

they can and will penalize you for having a car that 'looks fast'. dont even bother with an f-body. trust me. you wont go fast enough to need the power, and you wont need such great handling. not to mention, everyone who has raced several lemons say the best car is a 4cyl. think of all the gas stops youll need with a V8. they also really hold up the rule of it being a $500 car. that INCLUDES anything you do to it....shocks, springs, etc. what isnt included are tires, brakes, and saftey items.

the key is to find a car that doesnt need any work. find something solid, preferably 4cyl or a small V6. old steel bumpers are a plus.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

good info to know. i knew they were pretty strict about the $500 thing, i was only thinking a 4th gen as i have a ton of parts laying around so the build including the safety stuff would cost probably less than $100. if you saw the car i was thinking of picking up, youd understand. salvage title, huge dents in it, missing body panels last time i saw it. Mechanically it was in good shape but cosmetically, beat to ****. the owner told me once they were threw with the car, it was getting scraped anyway so if he was getting rid of it soon, why not?
though it looks like its not a great idea, sounds like itll be ripe for them to destroy it. id be more pissed about not being able to race than the car being destroyed. oh well, im still interested in doing it but thanks for the warning. at least i cant say i wasnt told now.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

its a race that you should really only enter something you dont care about, and put the absolute least amount of work into. i wouldnt even consider any kind of f-body, of any year. somewhere, if i didnt throw it out already, i have an issue of GRM in which a past winner of the lemons gives out a list of cars and modifications you can do to get an edge. obviously the most important factor is reliability. you dont need any extra power or handling. youve got to first finish, to finish first. the last seasons winner was actually passed and lapped several times during the race. but, since he never broke down and spent the least amount of time in the pits, he won on durability.

off the top of my head, an ideal car would be a late 70s early 80s iron duke 4cyl in something small and light, preferably with steel bumpers. if youre still actually interested, PM me and ill share what i know.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds interesting.... how bout looking for a dodge omni. haha
Old 02-01-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

$15 boost controller FTMFW lol
Old 02-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohhh subybill, you know it has my name written all over this as a driver. I have another few buddy who are willing I'm sure. We should enter a fbod and have all suby people drive it, that would be funny.

Either way I'm interested in this. Just let me know what you want. I might be able to get a cheap 4-cyl. Mike(02SCVette), you up for using you beater?? We'll just add some NO2!!
Old 02-02-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

derek, i figured you might have some interest. it seems like a true car nuts race. btw, get the Z06 lotus FTL lol just playing man, hell i wish i had the money to even be able to joke about getting either. either way, i wanna go for a ride in whatever you get. plus the STi
Old 02-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Launching!

This seems like fun, but it'll stink for that paying and not getting a chance to race all 24hrs.

This is my plan for now:

1) buy dirtbike (this yr.)
2) buy garage (this yr.)
3) buy vette/lotus (this yr. OR next)
Old 02-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MaSTi
Ohhh subybill, you know it has my name written all over this as a driver. I have another few buddy who are willing I'm sure. We should enter a fbod and have all suby people drive it, that would be funny.

Either way I'm interested in this. Just let me know what you want. I might be able to get a cheap 4-cyl. Mike(02SCVette), you up for using you beater?? We'll just add some NO2!!
I don't think my plastic little Saturn would hold up in that kind of a race. No real bumpers to protect anything! It sounds like fun though! My old '80 Monza would've been a good one for this but that's been gone for almost 20 years now....
Old 02-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Launching!

just looking on craiglist there's alot for cheap. just depends on what ya want. If we could only find a cheap fox body to beat the crap out of. LOL
Old 02-03-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02SCVette
I don't think my plastic little Saturn would hold up in that kind of a race. No real bumpers to protect anything! It sounds like fun though! My old '80 Monza would've been a good one for this but that's been gone for almost 20 years now....
i have a lot of iron scrap and a stick welder. we can make it work
Old 02-03-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MaSTi
This seems like fun, but it'll stink for that paying and not getting a chance to race all 24hrs.

This is my plan for now:

1) buy dirtbike (this yr.)
2) buy garage (this yr.)
3) buy vette/lotus (this yr. OR next)
good luck with everything, sounds like a good year lol.
totally feel you on not being able to drive the full time, thats why i want to get something as reliable and low key as possible

Last edited by subarubill96; 02-03-2009 at 08:11 PM.