Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

run in with a cop

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Stories like this are exactly why my car stays off the road. It's not worth the headache.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i was in HS, i got pulled over once for 'harsh objectionable noise'... i spun my tires on snow/ice pulling out of a parking spot with my old non-posi 3rd gen the entire road was a skating rink and it took me a moment to get going straight.

he asked if i knew why i was being pulled over, of course i was clueless. after being told that i spun my tires all the way down the street, i asked him when losing traction on snow became a criminal offense... he didnt like that response too much

luckily i got off with just a warning (it was late at night and i think the cop just wanted to see if i had been drinking).
Old 03-23-2009, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get your father-in-law to pay it.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

He has 0 proof you did anything. Fight it! If you get a Lawyer It will get dropped if you go into court alone anything can happen.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

From what he described and was cited for there is enuf PC to easily support the DC citation, the careless probably won't stick, either way having a lawyer isn't going to gaurantee anything either way and sure isn't free. We also do NOT have free public defenders avail in PA for summary offenses. I still think trying to make a deal beforehand is the way to go esp when you look at the whole points on ur license, insurance issue...
Old 03-23-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Cops cant issue the ticket after the fact.

Fight it in court you will win. He didn't see anything from what i read.
This is 100% wrong... you can receive a summary citation 90 days after the initial offense, when you get cited it can be in person, or via mail. There is also no requirement that you sign for the tickets
Old 03-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Teching In

I received a similar ticket back when I first bought my car. The cop claimed I had just left his town and done a pull on the road which I just came back through. I had done nothing wrong, but he saw a black Mustang with loud exhaust bang some gears leaving his town, so he pulled over the next black Mustang he saw and pinned it on me.

He gave me a ticket for "Failure to Obey a Traffic Control Device" which cost me $110. I would've fought it, but the lost time at work would've cost me more.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not following the above story, you got pulled over for loud exhaust but then got the failure to obey traffic control device?
That is the section used for "giving breaks" b/c there is no moving violation there and therfore no points on ur license and no insurance prob...
Whats the section for "driving a mustang"??
Old 03-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by multmigs
I'm not following the above story, you got pulled over for loud exhaust but then got the failure to obey traffic control device?
That is the section used for "giving breaks" b/c there is no moving violation there and therfore no points on ur license and no insurance prob...
Cop pulls me over randomly when driving down road. I look to passenger, "Did I do anything?".... he replies no and we wait to hear what the officer has to say.

Officer comes up to the window and starts telling me, "You've got some ***** leaving my town like that and coming back through it." Goes on to tell me I drive like an ******* and I'm an idiot. He apparently was at the township building and heard a loud Mustang leaving the area. Five minutes later I come rolling down that same road he saw the car leave from, so he pins it on me.

He claimed he was giving me a break when he gave me the ticket, but he could've written me up for speed exhibition or speeding. I was doing neither. Literally driving down the road at 35mph and nothing was going on. The officer told me "I saw you leaving 5 minutes ago and flooring it up over that road. I was standing outside my car." I'm assuming when he saw me sitting at the red light across from the township building he figured I was his guy and hopped in his car to chase me down.

Sorry if I was unclear the first time.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, much better 2nd time around and from what you describe you could have easily beat that ticket on your own if the Cop didn't actually see you driving a vehicle that he can describe by tags etc only that it was a simlar color/model you would prob win. However as you pointed out its not free to miss work and the citation you received again is the catch all which carries no points etc.... I'd say on the risk of losing and missing work you did the conservative thing by paying up. I've come to learn that this whole system of violations is FUBAR and is basically just another form of taxation, you can educate yourself all you want but you will still lose to the system....
Old 03-23-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think that's punishment enough!
Old 03-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I think that's punishment enough!
Agreed!

As multmigs stated, it wasn't worth the effort to fight it. I would've easily won even without a lawyer, however missing 4 hours of work would've cost me more and entailed a greater headache. If it had carried points I would have fought it.

I was tempted to file a complain against the officer for his attitude and demeanor but I chose not to bother. We all have bad days and what goes around comes around. You can't go around calling citizens ******** and feel good about yourself at the end of the day.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

lol sucks for you, earlier this week I got pulled over by a sheriff racing my ex's brother inlaw in his tundra at 130+ and got a verbal warning
Old 03-23-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

^^^^ I'm mailing you out a citation as we speak.... and 1 to the other guy for driving a mustang
Old 03-23-2009, 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

ok my name is Rick Astley
Old 03-23-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Now I've had the time of my life.....
Old 03-23-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Now I've had the time of my life.....
Wrong 80's "artist"..

Rich "Somewhat embarrassed that I even know the difference" Q.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tough luck dude. i did a burnout once in my old 95 Z28 and didnt notice a cop up ahead, and all i got was a thumbs-up lol get a lawyer, fight it and see what happens. ive done that on every ticket ive gotten and have a clean record because of it
Old 03-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always been respectful and shook their hands especially if they handed me a Promise to Appear, Having not help. I went in and was told exact words....

"The officer said you had an excellent attitude, I am not prosecuting you, have a great day"

It pays to be honest, forthright, and respectful.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I have always been respectful and shook their hands especially if they handed me a Promise to Appear, Having not help. I went in and was told exact words....

"The officer said you had an excellent attitude, I am not prosecuting you, have a great day"

It pays to be honest, forthright, and respectful.

I am sorry but that is a load of BS no prosecuter is going to say have a great day and dismiss anything because you were polite.

To put it simply.....a ticket nowadays is the way the Police and gov't is generating money for themselves. And indirectly raising our taxes. The police are also working with the insurance companies who are funding there programs and donating to the police fund raisers, so that the Poice can and will give more tickets so that the insurance company can find a reason to raise everyone's insurance premiums.

OP: don't get worked up over the tickets you will not beat them. At best you might get a no points penality but at the expense of paying more on the ticket. It's all a way for them to make money and given the budget deficits across all the cities no one is giving you a free lunch because you were polite or showed up in court. Seriously, just pay it and move on....it's just another form of tax collection and unfortunately your number was pulled that day.

Quick Reply: run in with a cop